Warn 8274 hot - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 08-19-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Warn 8274 hot

Got an old 8274 that I rebuilt. I upgraded to an Albright (knock off) solenoid. I also went to a three wire controller. I ran 1/0 welding wire for the power and the ground (goes from the long screw that holds the motor on the case to the negative post on the battery). The battery is in the stock location, so the cables are about 4 feet long. I used 1 awg welding wire for the winch to solenoid connections. I have the ground wire from the solenoid going to the a screw on the control box. The winch seems to operate correctly when there is no load (although even then it gets a little hot). Attempted to put a load on it for the first time and the power, ground and the wire that goes from the far post on the motor to the solenoid got very hot and the winch stopped pulling. The wires were too hot to touch. Only winched for about 20-30 seconds. I know very little about how electrical is supposed to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-20-2019, 05:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

It definitely sounds like something is not right.

Things I'd want to check:

Motor amp draw at no load... You'd need a good ammeter for this. It might also be worth removing the motor to test it too. If it's drawing huge amps without a load, then it's likely the motor windings are bad. Replacement motors are pretty easy to find, including some WAY upgraded ones (Gigglepin!).

I's also check the relay pack without the motor attached, maybe that thing is shorting out and consuming a bunch of power somehow. Chinese knockoffs are not known for their strong quality control.

Brake... Maybe the external brake is remaining engaged somehow. it might be worth checking or removing the brake temporarily to see if that is maybe causing additional load during power in.

FWIW, my money is on the motor. they take a beating, get wet, get overheated... and I'm guessing it's an old motor.. probably 10 years or more if it's your typical old 8274.

Good luck.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode