Dome light issues - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-26-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Dome light issues

Iv had the door off for a month, dome lights has been staying off. Went for a rip last night, all fire roads at a good pace lots of dust. Got home and realized dome lights are on and won't turn off.

The switch on the column doesn't turn them off
Manually clicking the light doesn't turn them off
I put the door a back on, dash indicates what door is ajar. All doors close with column switch in off position, lights still on.
If i pull the m20 fuse they turn off but as soon as I put it back in they come back on and stay on for 5 minutes or so then eventually turn off. I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes and no change. I turned off accessory delay just for kicks and still no change.

Anyone have any other pointers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-26-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I guess I should add it's a 2013.

Also it's all dome lights rear view mirror, b hoop and c hoop lights
post #3 of 21 Old 07-26-2019, 12:29 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

One of the door connections full of dirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-26-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I made sure they all had good connections. Being tucked away they dont get to much dust in them but i guess its possible.

How would dirt all the sudden turn on the dome light? Has anyone else had this happen?
post #5 of 21 Old 07-26-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I blew out all 4 door connections with air. No obvious issues. Also made sure the tailgate harness was plugged in completely. Blew out the hard top wiring harness. Drove it with doors on, messed with switch on column, dome lights are still stuck on.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-30-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bump, still having this issue. I'm thinking clock spring maybe? Any electrical guru's on here?
post #7 of 21 Old 07-30-2019, 08:22 PM
Wheeler

Im an idiot and didnt fully read....sorry

Last edited by ballistik_monkey; 07-31-2019 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Late at night didnt read
post #8 of 21 Old 07-31-2019, 05:31 AM

clock spring controls your controls on the steering wheel.. Airbag, cruise control.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-31-2019, 05:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

Is it stuck on even with all of the door connectors disconnected? IF not, then I'd think it's a faulty door switch. If so, maybe it's something with the tailgate switch? Or like you mentioned the clockspring?

Wait... does it go out if you adjust the instrument panel dimmer all the way? My dome light has an override built into the dimmer switch. All the way one way, and it stays on all the time, all the way the other way and it never comes on. Faulty dimmer switch?

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #10 of 21 Old 07-31-2019, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
Is it stuck on even with all of the door connectors disconnected? IF not, then I'd think it's a faulty door switch. If so, maybe it's something with the tailgate switch? Or like you mentioned the clockspring?

Wait... does it go out if you adjust the instrument panel dimmer all the way? My dome light has an override built into the dimmer switch. All the way one way, and it stays on all the time, all the way the other way and it never comes on. Faulty dimmer switch?
this was what I was compelled to answer, too.
You had doors off then you couldn't stop the interior overhead courtesy lighting off?
I would blow-out the dimmer switch & the door switches real well w/ high-pressure air since maybe the switch contacts have been coated in dust from the doorless rip?

I also wondered if it could be his "keep them on" lightswitch detente that is all the way over to left & keeps the lights on...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-31-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I guess I could try to disconect the doors again and see if that does anything.

The instrument dinner doesn't turn them off. Dims the dash lights and seems to be in normal operation but dome lights are on no matter what.
post #12 of 21 Old 08-01-2019, 07:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

Giving this some further thought, the dome/dimmer switch is below the clockspring in the column. I don't see how it could be a faulty clockspring, nothing from the clockspring up has anything to do with the dome lights.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....

post #13 of 21 Old 08-01-2019, 08:27 AM
Wheeler

So, is there a switch on the turn signal indicator? Or is that not on 2013s
post #14 of 21 Old 08-01-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I took the column apart tonight and cleaned everything. And your right jts not part of the clock spring just attatches to it. I don't believe that the dome/dimmer switch is bad because it actually has an effect on the dome lights when I turn it to override on they get just a tad brighter. My dash lights also dim as they should. It just doesnt turn off the dome lights.

I also cleaned and check connections in the tailgate. All clean and seem fine. I'm not thinking it's a bad door sensor/switch because the dash properly indicates what door is ajar when on the jeep is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
Giving this some further thought, the dome/dimmer switch is below the clockspring in the column. I don't see how it could be a faulty clockspring, nothing from the clockspring up has anything to do with the dome lights.
post #15 of 21 Old 08-04-2019, 05:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

OK, I'm still thinking on this one. it seems really weird to me.

AFAIK, the dome light fixtures get positive 12 volts all the time, and the ground gets connected anytime the doors open, or the column switch is activated, or you use the physical switch on one of the light fixtures.

So... it seems like you have the ground wire shorted to ground somewhere. I believe when you are turning the column switch to the full on position, it getting a bit better ground, making it brighter... MAYBE.

A wiring diagram is in order, and I think you'll just have to gut it out and trace/test every wire and switch in the grounding circuit.

_

post #16 of 21 Old 08-04-2019, 11:58 AM

"DOOR
The door ajar switches are actuated by the mechanisms internal to the door latch. When a door is closed and properly latched, its door ajar switch is an open circuit. When a door is open or only partially latched, the door ajar switch is a closed circuit. The door ajar switches are hard wired in series between a body ground and the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). The TIPM reads the hard wired door ajar switch inputs through internal pull-ups, then uses these inputs to control many electronic functions and features of the vehicle. The TIPM also sends electronic door ajar switch status messages over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. " So to translate this: Check all the door switches with a multimeter for proper function. Then check the TIPM circuits as well. Also might be a good idea to see if there are any trouble codes.

Added: If the lights are staying on, but you are not getting a "Door ajar" or "Tailgate ajar" message, then maybe the multifunction switch is at fault. Unplug it from the column harness, and see if that does anything.

Last edited by fratzog; 08-04-2019 at 12:06 PM.
post #17 of 21 Old 08-11-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I think tracing out some grounds will be my first step. I recently put a poison spyder cage in so I had to modify the factory plastics that go around the cage. I'm wondering if something wore through a wire while I was rattling the jeep down the trail.

I think the door switches would be a long shot as all these issues happened when there were no doors on the jeep.

I have unplugged the switch on the column and the lights stayed on. Which (correct me if I'm wrong) would tell me that something else is telling the lights to stay on.
post #18 of 21 Old 08-11-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I think I got it, so in the process of the cage install I had to drill some holes in the stock cage to bolt the ps cage to. I did a quick job cleaning up metal and left a few shavings in there on accident. During my rallying down fire roads this piece of metal must have gone airborne and fell in just the right spot and welded it self in place. Pretty crazy I cleaned it all out really good and plugged it back in and shocker dome light went out. Here are some pictures to prove this insanity
Attached Images

post #19 of 21 Old 08-11-2019, 03:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Wow. Glad you found it.

_

post #20 of 21 Old 08-12-2019, 05:50 AM

Damm, no one would have ever guessed that.

Glad you got it figured out.

Quote:
Quote:
post #21 of 21 Old 08-12-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for your help and input guys. Definetly needed it on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode