Wrangler Speakers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Wrangler Speakers

I just had a local car stereo shop install a pair of Alpine SPV-65x-WRA speakers in the dash and roll bar of my 2017 2-door JK, along with a 1000 watt sub (2 12's in a sealed box) and an amp (Alpine KTA-30FW, 75 watts RMS x 4) and a head unit (Alpine i207-WRA).

To be completely honest, I really don't like how the SPV-65x-WRA speakers sound. They have a ton of 200-700hz, and they are a bit harsh in the 3.5k range, and they have very little crispiness up in the 14-16k range. They kind of sound like a bullhorn. In my opinion, a good speaker should be loud where our ears are not very sensitive, up in the 14-16k range, and softer in the 3.5k range where harshness occurs. I can correct some of this with the head unit's EQ, but it still ends up sounding weird, and the head unit reduces the volume going to the amp when you use the EQ to prevent clipping, so using the EQ extensively results in a signal that's not as loud.

The shop that installed the speakers will replace them within 30 days if I'm not satisfied, and these speakers were explicitly recommended by the shop as sounding good in the Jeep so I feel like it's partially not my fault. I just really don't want to be that guy and go back to the shop and tell them to pull the speakers back out if I don't have to, and I especially don't want to do that if it turns out that I'm just hearing the sound of the jeep cabin resonance or something. I was thinking I'd prefer some Hertz speakers. People say they are loud and bright which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Has anyone else installed these speakers? What did you think of them? Have you tried any other speakers? Do Jeeps just sound boomy and boxy and you have to deal with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 09:56 PM
Random Dude

Maybe see if your audio shop can let you hear those speakers in another car?

I have no experience with any of those components, haven't bought any car stereo parts in 20 years. I pulled the factory sub and threw it in the garden shed, and just use the other 6 semi-shitty factory speakers in my '10 2-door.

However, on this question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessinator View Post
Do Jeeps just sound boomy and boxy and you have to deal with it?
It will never be an audiophile's dream due to geometry and construction. If you're looking for perfect sound, this ain't the platform upon which to build. I know people have put together decent-sounding systems, but never paid attention. Plan on a shitload of Dynamat and stuffing voids, etc. but just know now it will never be an Escalade.

I believe @White13JKUR had a thread on it or had it in one of his threads, but I gave up searching and tried the "mention" feature to see if that Bat Signal voodoo works (actually, I had to copy it out of a post where someone mentioned him because I forgot how that gimmick works ).

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 06:52 AM
Rock God

Maybe they didn't connect the tweeters or there's some issue with the crossovers.
Turn down all the bass and mid, turn up all the treble. Do the tweeters sound like they should when given volume?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Rock God

did they poly fill the pods at all when adding the speakers? I have never used alpine mids and highs but did use a Type R sub in my 2014. I also used a PDX amp and loved ho wit sounded in the jeep. Always used polk audio for mids and highs.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Tspevacek, idk if they poly filled the boxes. And yeah I have alpine type S subs in there currently and I love them.

Funfred, i'll investigate later
post #6 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

I’m using the Polk dB series in both my jeeps.

14 had components in the front and coaxial rears.

My current Jeep has all coaxial and the tweeter can be adjusted in its mount. I did remove the crappy 2.75” ‘full range’ speakers and the bass came back.

I don’t have the megaphone issues you speak of.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

ndtguy, you're using all coaxial? Like, the dash tweeters are down at your knees?
post #8 of 8 Old 07-12-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

I'm also currently having an issue where when I EQ the signal to have lots more 13-16k treble and then turn the volume up loud, the treble cuts out, and then eventually the component amp cuts out. I'm assuming this is some sort of protection inside the passive crossovers and inside the component amp because idk what else it could be. I'll need the shop to turn the gain down on the amp I guess?

That's an entirely seperate issue, but I mention it because funfred asked whether the tweeters are hooked up, and this would seem to indicate that they are
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode