Radiator fan will not run on 2016 3.6L JKU sport with no engine or electrical modific - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rodjk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-03-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Radiator fan will not run on 2016 3.6L JKU sport with no engine or electrical modific

I purchased my Jeep 1 year ago and have had no problems. Went to start one afternoon and starter engaged but engine did not turn over. After jumping the Jeep and testing the battery, identified a bad battery. While removing the battery for replacement it started sparking and drawing a current through the cable to the starter, melting the fusible link.

I removed the battery and fusible link to the starter. I searched for any additional damaged wires or any potential grounds, did not find any. I installed a new battery and new fusible link to the starter. Jeep starts with no issues, battery voltage is approximately 12.5 volts when engine is off, and approximately 13.5 volts with engine running. I think that problem is solved, caused by failed battery.

Now the electric radiator cooling fan does not start/run. I scan for codes and receive P0480 “cooling fan 1 ctrl circ open (low speed fan)”, clear the code and do not receive again while operating. I disconnect the fan motor connection behind the power steering reservoir and check continuity from the battery terminal to the connection and appears good. I checked the ground wire which terminates behind the power steering fluid reservoir and it looks intact and continuity from the fan motor connection to the ground tests good. Being uncertain, I replace the fusible link from the battery terminal to the cooling fan, check continuity again and still good. I swapped the F11 “radiator fan” relay with another relay from the TIPM, and checked every fuse in the TIPM. I repeatedly check for engine codes, and do not receive any, until I run the engine with the cooling fan disconnected. Receive codes P0480 “cooling fan 1 ctrl circ open (low speed fan)” and P0693 “fan 2 ctrl circ low”. After connecting the fan and clearing codes, no codes reappear.

I have had to drive the Jeep on short runs, while observing engine coolant temp from the dash digital meter, dash digital readout, and through my superchips. All three track with each other and indicate the temperature sensor is operating.

I think that the failure is the radiator fan, but am very hesitant to say yes because of the $400 investment. Is there anything I could still be missing, or a way to test the fan and verify it is bad.

I also considered a failure the TIPM, however have not observed any other electrical malfunctions. Is there any other checks I can perform on the TIPM.

Mahalo for you help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-05-2019, 06:23 AM
Rock God

At a time when the fan should be running check and see if it is getting power. If it is, the fan is bad. If it isn’t, it is something else. You might have to back-probe the connector or tap into the wires so you can leave it plugged in, otherwise it sounds like the computer sets a code and may not even try to run the fan.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-05-2019, 03:39 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I had an issue with my fan when I was in Moab. Like yours, the fan quit working but I wrongly believed the fan motor died as I had voltage all the way to the connection. It turned out to be the relay tucked behind your drivers headlight. These fans need a shit load of amps to run so the a simple 12volt test at the plug isn't sufficient to write off the motor. A quick way to check if this is also your issue, get her up to temp, then grab a short piece of wire with both ends exposed and with the relay removed, bridge the heavy terminals at the connector. Fingers crossed.
The old fart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-06-2019, 05:42 PM
Granite Guru

Disregard all the previous suggestions. The fan runs off of a pulse with from the 3rd wire on the connector. The hot wire and ground are just one part of the function. Without a scanner there is no way to test the fan.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 Old 07-06-2019, 08:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6700 View Post
Disregard all the previous suggestions. The fan runs off of a pulse with from the 3rd wire on the connector. The hot wire and ground are just one part of the function. Without a scanner there is no way to test the fan.

Find a buddy with a similar year jk. Remove their fan and plug it into yours. Do the same with their tipm. Thatíll tell you what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 Old 07-08-2019, 10:39 AM

I have same issue with my 2015 Rubicon, just noticed because A/C was getting warmer and temp gauge started climbing and got hot enough to give me the red overheating icon on dash. I can see the fan trying to run and sometime spins over slowly, then spins almost backward. I think the A/C and fan is related somehow.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-08-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the recommendations. I was afraid that trouble shooting was at an end without a dealership level scan tool. The most reasonable coarse of action seems to be plug my fan or TIPM into another Jeep. I’m a little nervous about that in the event my fan causes an overload condition in someone else’s Jeep, then there is potential to damage two Jeeps. I’m leaning towards just getting a used fan and putting that in.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-08-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

The radiator fan absolutely provides the heat transfer for the a/c system. I haven’t run across anything that explains a fan spinning in reverse. There is also a blower fan in the a/c system behind the glove compartment.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Granite Guru

Don’t have a diagram, but...test for ground. Hook up direct to a battery with 10-12awg wire. Black to negative, tying the other 2 together going to positive.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggy View Post
Donít have a diagram, but...test for ground. Hook up direct to a battery with 10-12awg wire. Black to negative, tying the other 2 together going to positive.
The new fans do not work like that. You can't just run a hot and a ground to it the fan motor it still will not work. It needs the pulse with signal for it to turn on.

post #11 of 13 Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Granite Guru

Copy that.

What about a generic off Amazon? Return it.

So could this be a TIPM or PCM issue? I know PO said that there’s no mods on that circuit but that doesn’t mean TIPM couldn’t be an issue.

PO really needs a non-global diagnostic tool to see if it can be activated
post #12 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 02:29 PM
JKowners Vendor

The PWM fan is powered directly from the battery. There is a wire attached to the positive terminal, a lot of guys think its a ground wire because it has a black fusable link. Make sure that its attached to the positive.

I have seen a lot of guys mess this up when they swap out a battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #13 of 13 Old 11-19-2019, 09:56 PM
Granite Guru

Did you ever get this thing fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode