Need wiring diagram or info: 08 JK Brakelights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-08-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Need wiring diagram or info: 08 JK Brakelights

I just pulled off the connector to my brake light switch, for my 2008 JK 'X'. There seem to be 6 wires in this connector, four of which seem to be unnecessary to this old-school tech. I'm trying to identify the 'always hot' wire from the fuse box. I think it might be the green wire with red stripe, second from the end. It would really make me happier if I could confirm this hunch before I mess something up. If you know for sure which is the hot wire, or if you have access to a 2008 Wrangler JK wiring diagram for this area, I would be very grateful.

For the curious, I'm planning to use two isolation diodes to tap a second "always hot" source to this wire, so that when I have my battery disconnect switch open, the brake lights will still be activated when the RViBrake presses on the pedal during towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-08-2019, 02:14 PM
Rock God

Check the pin you think may be always hot with a volt meter.
First with the ignition off, then after you pull fuse M1.

There's a good chance if you tap power to that wire, only the third brake light will come on.
Let us know how it works out.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-08-2019 at 02:18 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-08-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Initial testing says all three brake lights will come on. However I haven't actually made the final connections, because I won't have the diodes until Wednesday or Thursday.
Theory is that when I apply the RV brakes, the two corner brake lights will always come on. If deceleration causes the RViBrake to activate, then all three brake lights should come one. Likewise if using the exhaust brake on the RV causes enough decel to trigger the RViBrake, then all three brake lights should come on. But if it's only the two corner ones, I'll be okay with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-08-2019, 07:47 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Here you go. I think you'll want to look at 8W-35-5... Need anything else?

Attached Images

Last edited by rockystock; 04-08-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode