Center dome lights don't turn on with doors - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Laggy
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By Guruman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-06-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Center dome lights don't turn on with doors

I recently purchased a 2017 JKUL. When I open the doors the 2 small lights under the rear-view mirror turn on and the rear dome light turns on, but not the center dome light. Once the Jeep is turned on, I can toggle the center dome light on by pressing on it, but the light is extremely dim - but works. If I move the interior light dim all the way forward it behaves the same as when opening the doors. Just wondering if there is some option I'm missing to enable the center dome light. I've checked the owners manual, prior forum answers and google to no avail. Thanks for any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-11-2019, 11:15 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeoffeh View Post
I recently purchased a 2017 JKUL. When I open the doors the 2 small lights under the rear-view mirror turn on and the rear dome light turns on, but not the center dome light. Once the Jeep is turned on, I can toggle the center dome light on by pressing on it, but the light is extremely dim - but works. If I move the interior light dim all the way forward it behaves the same as when opening the doors. Just wondering if there is some option I'm missing to enable the center dome light. I've checked the owners manual, prior forum answers and google to no avail. Thanks for any ideas.
Just had this happen with my rear light. Would only come on by pressing manual buttons. I unzipped roll bar padding for inspection and found a nick in one of the two wires. It was nicked enough to where it was basically split.

Snipped. Piece of heat shrink. Used a butt connector. All good to go.
ExWrench likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Those overhead center & cargo ,press-on/off lights have small festoon bulbs in them; they get oxidated contacts from elements exposure over time & are very susceptible to being jarred-loose OR as @Laggy mentioned the switch assembly itself can experience issues you need to look into .
(Wrangler trail riding / bouncing can loosen one of the bulbs. Shutting door jams it out if contact or back settled again ...
Sounds like it's eyeball, multimeter & maybe new bulb time ...superbrightled has cool LED options for those if you need replacements...

ExWrench likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

Those overhead center & cargo ,press-on/off lights have small festoon bulbs in them; they get oxidated contacts from elements exposure over time & are very susceptible to being jarred-loose OR as @Laggy mentioned the switch assembly itself can experience issues you need to look into .
(Wrangler trail riding / bouncing can loosen one of the bulbs. Shutting door jams it out if contact or back settled again ...
Sounds like it's eyeball, multimeter & maybe new bulb time ...superbrightled has cool LED options for those if you need replacements...

I love superbrightleds. Their warm white led options are wonderful for interior lighting upgrades.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 01:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

Isin't it possible to turn the dimmer knob too far killing the dome lights? Might check that.

Also, if the door harnesses are disconnected, the dome lights won't activate.
ExWrench likes this.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #6 of 6 Old 06-12-2019, 03:42 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
Isin't it possible to turn the dimmer knob too far killing the dome lights? Might check that.

Also, if the door harnesses are disconnected, the dome lights won't activate.
Also, if a contact has recessed in the male or female plug of the door harnesses, same result. If you unplug 'em and eyeball the pins, you should be able to see it quickly (which of these things is not like the other . . . ). If they're all even, that's not it.

EDIT: the recessed contacts are good to check on any harness plug involved. It's possible for them to be assembled deep enough to function but the lock tab didn't "click in" so it backs out when unplugged / re-plugged.

Not saying that's your problem, but good chit to check whenever you unplug a harness connection.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 06-12-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode