Air Bag 101 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-11-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Exclamation Air Bag 101

I did a little searching around using the search feature but couldn't find what I was looking for so I'm just going to ask here.

I have a 09 Rubicon and just swapped out my front bumper with a Smittybilt stinger winch mount bumper. The only harnesses were for the factory fog lights.

I'm curious to know more about air bag deployment. The only reason I ask is because a guy was in our parking garage in his CRV last week. He was busy checking out my Jeep and turned his head while failing to realize there was a concrete support pylon right in front of him. He rammed it at 5 mph or so and his airbag deployed. Opps! He was burnt on his arms and got out of his car stumbling around dazed as if he just hit by Mike Tyson.

That little incident left me wondering... What happens a tree or obstacle (or mini cooper, slow Hummer in the fast lane or a midget) is in my way on the trail one night and I end up loosing my brakes... If I hit it with my stinger, is my air bag going to do the same thing? Where are the sensors? What's the speed and impact type that actually makes them deploy? If it was up to me, I'd be just as fine with no airbag in the JK... I've never thought the idea of a high pressure bag hitting me in the face just because it thought I ran into something a little too hard. I do understand why they are there... so no need to rant about how they save lives. yada yada yada.

Any insight on what makes them deploy, what types of forces, etc would be helpful.

Any stories about them deploying while on the trail would be some good reading too... Feel free to post them!

Present - 2009 Rubi Unlimited on 37's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present - 2002 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer Sport Cruiser Boat (my other money pit)
Past - 97 XJ, lifted 8", 36" Iroks, locked, D44's, 4:1 case, custom fabbed bumpers, & more
Past - 01 TJ, 4.5 RE SuperFlex Lift, 35" TruXus MT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 PM
JKO Addict!

I don't believe they deploy in 4-low. However there are so many different variations of air bag systems out there it's hard to say what our particular Jeep Wrangler is running off of. Systems and specs can change by the year. Someone here may have the info, but I can't say that I think it's readily available...I'm curious as well.

What happens in a Jeep, Kia, Mercedes, Ford, will all be nearly completely different when it comes to safety systems. How they are designed, standards, triggering specifications, etc

I looked on all data, no sort of specs on there that I could find.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 10-11-2010 at 08:10 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm pretty certain they deploy no
matter what.. If they were disabled in 4-lo the airbag light would come on just as the ESP does...

Pretty sure when you cut off the OEM crush cans you are actually making it easier for the airbag to deploy. The crush cans absorb small impacts lessening the g-force the air bag sensors sense. Of course that doesn't help if you hit a tree or boulder and it misses the crush can.

As far as I know the airbag system uses speed and rate of deceleration to determine wether the bags come out or not.

no jeep here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-11-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I wonder if there are any actual Jeep engineers from Chrysler/Jeep on here that could clarify?

Present - 2009 Rubi Unlimited on 37's -

Present - 2002 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer Sport Cruiser Boat (my other money pit)
Past - 97 XJ, lifted 8", 36" Iroks, locked, D44's, 4:1 case, custom fabbed bumpers, & more
Past - 01 TJ, 4.5 RE SuperFlex Lift, 35" TruXus MT's
post #5 of 8 Old 10-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Rock God

I thought deployment was controlled by an airbag control module like in the Cherokee and Liberty. This is a sensor, working on momentum changes, not physical impact. It is inside the vehicle, not on the bumper.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince1 View Post
I thought deployment was controlled by an airbag control module like in the Cherokee and Liberty. This is a sensor, working on momentum changes, not physical impact. It is inside the vehicle, not on the bumper.
I think you are right... Thought the sensor was somewhere around the console.

The sensor is not in the bumper at all, but like I said those crush cans lessen the forces the sensor sees when they crush. Basically
absorbing some of the impact. Of course I could be 100% wrong but it was my understanding.

no jeep here...
post #7 of 8 Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

FWIW, (and I'm sure there are guys here that have done much worse) but I've beat the hell out my front & rear bumpers as well as the bash bar and my airbags have never deployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Wheeler

I skidded into a Honda Accord after going from 70-10 mph on the freeway. No airbag deployment.

Highway Patrol told me that it was speed related. Under 10-15 mph on impact=no deployment.

09 Silver Unlimited Rubicon
Goodyear MT/Rs 285/70R/17
Poison Spyder BFH
Finishline West Rear bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode