JKOwners Forum banner

NEED HELP-08 JKUR DEAD?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  spartancrating1 
#1 ·
So I was driving the other day and my Jeep started running really rough all of a sudden. It felt like a major misfire for a sec then just died completely. I popped the hood and found that a spark plug wire melted on my aftermarket headers. I disconnected the battery, replaced the severed wire and nothing. I have lights, interior functions such as radio/cb/ham, but when I turn it over I get nothing at all. Battery is fully charged and all fuses and relays are good. When I hooked up a Snap-On reader to the Jeep it isnt even connecting. Against my better judgement I have it towed to the stealership thinking I may have fried the ecu. I called to see if they had figured anything out and I got the iconic "it's not looking good" speech and that they would know more later. I promptly told the SOB that I'm not looking to get upsold on a bunch of bullshit not needed and to let me know the core source of this problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated on what could be the cause of this. I've already replaced the tipm recently.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)

@rich6700 is nearly 100% correct about OP needing to separate the ( common ,btw, particularly on 3.8l ; nice exhaust manifold + ignition wires placement,FCA!) melted - now replaced sparkplug wire from your ignition troubleshooting process. You do wanna tell us what search results you've found and what troubleshooting you've done so far.

The JKs all have tight packed engine bays with the ignition pack and driver's side being quite in a bad spot. You have disconnected the +&- leads ,grounding them into one another for about 3 min , right ? That resets the system . Then it's gotta learn how to operate all over .

Many of us insulate as much under hood as possible. The stock grey plug caps are so horrid. Likewise , look at the other plug boots.
Search on here for ," misfire" and you'll see much ignition related support info threads . You sound like you may have more pinholes in other boots.

(edit:If you look around on just JKOwners, @RubiCajun and myself always recommend a nighttime , no light under hood diagnosis while Jeep is running to easily see any blue arcs. )
You shouldn't use old school plug removal pliers on these boots,fwiw.

Good luck and update this w your troubleshooting.

#4 ·
Turns over and get nothing at all? Do you mean it cranks and doesn't run?

I suspect you may have burned up electronics in the coil pack. In the old days if a wire went bad all that voltage had to go somewhere. Sometimes it would find a path to ground through the electronics that controlled the coils.

#5 ·
I'm not getting anything when turning the ignition. No power from ignition to starter and when jumping the starter directly it is cranking but not turning over. Had a Snap On reader connected and it would intermittently interface and when it actually did connect everything read as N/A.

#9 ·
UPDATE** So after 5 days of my Jeep being in the dealership the service manager calls me and tells my PCU is fried and needs to be replaced. He quoted me $900 installed and reflashed.. $700 for PCU and $200 to install. He then said that it would be a week or more because they are on a nationwide backorder. (NATION WIDE BACKORDER?....Hmmmm I wonder why..[emoji848]) So I decided to call the next closet dealership in Carson to check availability and they told me the same ETA for the part but instead quoted me at $248 for the refurbished part and then told me that the refurbished pcu has the exact same warranty as the new one just $450 cheaper. Hearing this I called back to Lithia Jeep in Reno and asked why I wasnt even given that option and they didnt have an answer. Straight scumbag move if you want my opinion. Another weird thing is I had gotten a call from them saying my battery wasnt good even though when I dropped it off it was fine (Optima Red top) and that I would need to drop off a new one so they could proceed with diagnosing the issues. I asked them why they couldnt just use a battery around the shop and they said they didnt have any available for use unless I bought one of theirs. Subsequently I went and bought an Oydessy 34r extreme and dropped it off so they could do their job. Long story short make sure you are on top of your shit when you take your rig to the stealership because if given the opportunity they WILL try to milk you for every penny possible even if it means doing shady shit.

#10 ·
We borrowed stuff from other vehicles all the time. Not to mention the shop battery booster/ charger that would have powered a small city.

We had a few shady guys but the majority were good guys/did quality work.

I would still advise avoiding them if at all possible.

At least your jeep is the road to recovery[emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Even the tiny automotive garage I worked at years ago had a battery charger/booster. I suppose if the battery was truly "bad" it might make sense to go ahead and replace it, but it sounds more like they drained it in testing and had ninway to charge it.

Hope all is well after the PCU swap. Any possibility that the severed spark plug wire got against a harness or something that could have zapped the module? Or was it just a fluke?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.