This should be VERY EASY? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ronjenx
  • 1 Post By Pmedic920

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 02-28-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

This should be VERY EASY?

But Iím electrically challenged, and I donít want to hook up something that will disagree with the JKís system.
Looking for a little help.

Iíve got this great little rechargeable flashlight that I what to mount in the Jeep. Iíd like to mount it on the passenger side of the console like this.
The light has a plug in the center of the charger cord that allows you to either use the cigarette lighter or use 110 in the house.
Iíd like to use neither and tap into something already under the console cover.

The guy at my fire station gave me this to use but he knows nothing about Jeep electronics, he does our emergency light stuff. The wire gage on what he gave me is huge in comparison to what is on the charger.

Iíd like to just mount on the console and tap into a power source thatís right there.
Is there something already in there that I can safely use?
Iíd like for the light to only charge while the Jeep is running.

Hereís the specs of the charger.

One of the things that has me a bit confused is, the cigarette adapter has a fuse built in but the 110v has no fuse.

Two things should be obvious.
1) this should be easy.
2) I have almost no clue.

Appreciate any help.

Edit:
Yes Iím aware that I could just plug the adapter into the cigarette lighter hole.

Last edited by Pmedic920; 02-28-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-28-2019, 06:04 PM
Rock God

I bet there is a circuit in that lighter plug to reduce the voltage. The light's charger requires 9 volts, but your Jeep's charging system will supply 13-14 volts while the engine is running. If you wire the charger in directly, without that circuit, you may burn up the charger. Can you disassemble the charger lighter plug without damaging it and see if there is a circuit board inside? It's possible that the charger can accept the higher voltage, but I'd want to be sure before you hook it up and ruin the charger.

Do you have a multi-meter? That could tell you without disassembling the plug. Where about are you located?

Last edited by BigTB; 02-28-2019 at 06:18 PM.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-28-2019, 06:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
I bet there is a circuit in that lighter plug to reduce the voltage. The light's charger requires 9 volts, but your Jeep's charging system will supply 13-14 volts while the engine is running. If you wire the charger in directly, without that circuit, you may burn up the charger. Can you disassemble the charger lighter plug without damaging it and see if there is a circuit board inside? It's possible that the charger can accept the higher voltage, but I'd want to be sure before you hook it up and ruin the charger.

Do you have a multi-meter? That could tell you without disassembling the plug. Where about are you located?
I agree with this. It says right on the charger it requires 9 volts dc, and to use only the supplied cords.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 02-28-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thatís understandable but.....

What about the fact that it can also be used with 110v?

Makes me think that whatever regulates voltage is in the charging base itself?

Thereís a butt connection that you simply unplug, then choose the lighter adapter or the 110 plug.

Iíd be happy to take the adapter apart but Iím fairly certain itís just the standard type, and whatever regulator is in the charging base.

Edit:
Live on the lake near Livingston Tx

Work in Harris co. (Houston)

BTW, I plan to do the famed ďpurple wire modĒ while I have the console apart.
Iíve watched a few vids, and Iím confident I can handle that.

Crazy that a lil ole flashlight has me baffled.

Last edited by Pmedic920; 02-28-2019 at 08:22 PM.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-28-2019, 08:59 PM
Rock God

Plug the 12v adapter into your 12v socket and check the voltage at the other end.

post #6 of 21 Old 02-28-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Plug the 12v adapter into your 12v socket and check the voltage at the other end.

Pardon my ignorance.

When you say ďother endĒ, are you talking about the contact pins in the charging base?

The flashlight and base have contact points that match up when the light is in the base.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-28-2019, 09:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post
Pardon my ignorance.

When you say ďother endĒ, are you talking about the contact pins in the charging base?

The flashlight and base have contact points that match up when the light is in the base.
The other end refers to the end of the cord disconnected from the charger.

post #8 of 21 Old 02-28-2019, 10:01 PM
Rock God

Why over-complicate stuff and risk burning something up? Just buy a cigarette lighter plug, wire it to the battery (fused of course) and just mount it behind your glove box or somewhere it's not visible.

Also, if you did direct-wire it, either the way you are thinking, or the way i proposed, it's likely going to drain your battery if you don't drive it every day. It would be cool to have a rechargeable flashlight, but it'll probably end up being more of a hassle than you think.

Last edited by Jonboy; 02-28-2019 at 10:03 PM.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-01-2019, 02:47 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Thatís understandable but.....

What about the fact that it can also be used with 110v?

Makes me think that whatever regulates voltage is in the charging base itself?

Thereís a butt connection that you simply unplug, then choose the lighter adapter or the 110 plug.

Iíd be happy to take the adapter apart but Iím fairly certain itís just the standard type, and whatever regulator is in the charging base.

Edit:
Live on the lake near Livingston Tx

Work in Harris co. (Houston)

BTW, I plan to do the famed ďpurple wire modĒ while I have the console apart.
Iíve watched a few vids, and Iím confident I can handle that.

Crazy that a lil ole flashlight has me baffled.
The 110V AC plug probably has electronics in it too. I'll bet it you look closely at the box that plugs into the wall there will be a label that says something like "Input: 100-250V AC, Output: 9V DC."

It is still possible that the charger can handle the higher voltage of the vehicle charging system. But as I said, I'd want to know for sure before wiring somethig up and ruining the charger, and possibly the flashlight.

Do you have a multimeter, or any way to accurately measure DC voltage?
post #10 of 21 Old 03-01-2019, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I run one of these adapters ( mine is a little newer , w/ smaller, more contemporary looking than this , but this exmple gets the idea across) whenever I crawl because I need the charge port for my mobile phone that sits up in Ramball-mount on dash but I plug my DIY crawl- self-spotter camera and it's 5" display up to the 2nd cig port. Mine has current output and flexible neck so copilot won't break off w her knee. It serves the purpose perfectly. It also adds another USB charge port to front.

Just a thought :

If OP will gimme until this afternoon, I'll run to garage and snag photo of my JKU flashlight solution which I determined was optimal arrangement for the driver of the JK and his flashlight needs. It's never failed and is never in way & can be retrieved gunslinger fast. I just can't explain it without pict.

I wouldn't run that household flashlight , personally. Too clunky.just my opinion. Let me show ya mine before you make decision . It's so simple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-01-2019, 06:12 AM
Wheeler

using the google webs it looks like there was a hardwire kit available for this at one time. My GUESS is that the voltage is changed in the base and can take 12v all day
like others have said test the cord where it goes in the base. If it is 12 then you should be able to wire into one of the power ports in the dash, one constant one key.

https://flashlightsunlimited.com/inovat4r.htm

INOVA T4/T4R 12VDC Long Hardwire Cable (10')
Fits T4 and T4R systems made in 2005 thru 2016 only.
Closeout Item - Limited Remaining Stock, Order Now

08 JKU
78 Fj-40
67 M715
47 CJ-2A
post #12 of 21 Old 03-01-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks everyone, and Iím in no hurry, Iíll wait till we get this hashed out here.

In the meantime.....

Yes the cigarette adapter has a small circuit board inside but as far as I can tell it only is there to handle the tiny LED that indicates power when itís plugged in.

There is NO box that plugs into the wall when using the 110v option.
The cord simply unplugs near the charging base and you choose the 110v plug or the cigarette adapter.

Iím 99.9% sure that anything that is regulating power is built into the base itself.
And this is what the inside of it looks like.

Iím open to any good solutions here, even if itís a different light all together but this is a great flashlight, Iíve had it for years and itís very bright. The light is durable and would work great for what Iím intending.
Iíve had this thing mounted in an out of view spot near my ďsleep timeĒ pistol but I recently got a better light for that use.
Bottom line is I donít have a current use for this light but itís a great light, it wasnít cheap, and the Jeep seemed like a perfect place to put it to use.
I do have a few other lights in the Jeep but they are tucked away in cubbies or tool bags, I even have a couple small one in the console but they get covered up with crap and not always easy to grab when I just need a quick light for something.

Iím in standby mode.
Thanks all.

Edit:
Keep in mind, Iíve been planning on doing the ďpurple wire modĒ, this ďflashlight projectĒ came as an after thought while contemplating the purple wire.
Seemed to me to be a perfect time and place. I really just needed to know if there was/is a ďsafeĒ keyed power source in the harness under the console. You know, the one that wonít freak out the Jeep.

Last edited by Pmedic920; 03-01-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-01-2019, 10:29 AM
Rock God

Are you sure that 110 AC cord is for that charger? Have you ever used it? Unless I'm missing something, the insides of that charging cradle are not capable of 110V input. This would be supported by the fact that it specifically says 9V DC input. The cord looks like a fairly standard AC power cord for multiple chargers I have (for cameras and what not). But it doesn't look quite like the reverse of the cord on your charger. I think that 110V AC cord is for something else.

However, the lighter plug is a straight through setup. So based on that, it seems like you should be able to directly wire the charger to the Jeep's system without a problem. I'd install a fuse in the circuit as well.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-01-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

My Bad Guys
I stand corrected.

The 110v cord does in fact have a ďboxĒ, some how I had the wrong cord when I started this thread.

Doesnít really matter as I wonít be using if I hard wire into the Jeep but I wanted to clarify.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Rock God

Quote:
My Bad Guys
I stand corrected.

The 110v cord does in fact have a ďboxĒ, some how I had the wrong cord when I started this thread.

Doesnít really matter as I wonít be using if I hard wire into the Jeep but I wanted to clarify.
No problem. And you're right, the AC option really isn't that important to the setup you want to run, just trying to make sure we don't give you advice that ends up damaging your flashlight. Sorry to harp on points that really aren't that important, just can't help but ask questions.

As I mentioned above, from the looks of the inside of that lighter plug, you should be ok wiring it directly to your Jeep's electrical system. And it looks like you could use the cord your friend gave you. The larger wire won't hurt anything, as long as it isn't to big to fit where you need it to go.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Rock God

Now that we have the AC adapter straightened out... I would still check the voltage at the end of the 12v cord. The charger and the AC adapter both say 9v.
Don't connect the charger directly to a 12v source until you have established what comes from the cigarette lighter cord.
mmilburn likes this.

post #17 of 21 Old 03-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Granite Guru

The first thing I would do is to not mount it where you want it. I don't know if you ever carry passengers but,what is convenient for you may be a pain for any passengers to deal with. I know I wouldn't want to have to rest my leg on it, especially 4 wheeling. A little more out of plain site may be better also. How about right behind, and on the center console ? Is there already a lighter back there ? I would check to make sure the resistor/circuit needed to drop the voltage from 12 to 9 vdc is on board. After that, I would simply cut the lighter adapter off, run the wire under the carpet from charger to behind a cigar lighter, and wire it parallel. That way it'll only charge with key on. As far as using the 120vac in, I bet the Jeep doesn't supply the one amp required for charging.

Last edited by dahreno; 03-01-2019 at 11:47 AM.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-01-2019, 01:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Aux. electrical device power supply options

For accessories (aux. lighting, heated seats, etc.), I installed a Painless 7-circuit fuse block under the dash. If the demand/usage is compatible with your flashlight needs, you could add one of these and have six other direct-to-battery (bypass of CanBus) power sources available. [Check my write-up or search "Painless 7".]

As a less-elegant flashlight charging option, in my travel tool kit I carry a compact Belkin DC to AC Inverter which can provide up to 300 Watts for various device charging/operation. More robust Inverters are available, for higher demand items. A benefit of this is that it can be stored away when not needed.

Last edited by JJS2; 03-01-2019 at 01:11 PM.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-01-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS2 View Post
For accessories (aux. lighting, heated seats, etc.), I installed a Painless 7-circuit fuse block under the dash. If the demand/usage is compatible with your flashlight needs, you could add one of these and have six other direct-to-battery (bypass of CanBus) power sources available. [Check my write-up or search "Painless 7".]

As a less-elegant flashlight charging option, in my travel tool kit I carry a compact Belkin DC to AC Inverter which can provide up to 300 Watts for various device charging/operation. More robust Inverters are available, for higher demand items. A benefit of this is that it can be stored away when not needed.

Thanks for the input.

Fact is, I have an open cigarette lighter hole, and my Jeep has an inverter built in from the factory. I could easily use either for this flashlight but wanted to leave them open for other uses.

Iím planning on having the console apart doing the purple wire thing and figured it would be a great time to mount the flashlight.

Iím open to suggestions, and truly appreciate all the input but I really just need to know if thereís a safe power source in the harness under the console.

I didnít purchase this particular light for the Jeep, itís one I had laying around not being used.

My main concerns are, not freaking out the Jeepís electrical system, and what to do with the wires.
The lighter adapter has one wire that splits into two at the plug that allows change to the 110v , and so does the 110v adapter.

Iím not sure if/when I find an appropriate source if I need to separate +|- wires, or if I only need to tap into a safe positive wire.

Like my title says ďthis should be easyĒ
Lol.
post #20 of 21 Old 03-04-2019, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
re: should be VERY EASY?

Srry, I had a busy weekend and forgot about this, @Pmedic920
!

Here is what I've used fir 6-7 years.
I don't have to look and can whip the maglight out in a blink. Clips come with as did little holster.
The holster is not necessary to the clips and light.
I run 2400ma rechargable Evereadys and charge batteries about 1-2 times annually.

(edit: there's one on spotter/pssgr side ,also)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 03-04-2019 at 05:03 AM.
post #21 of 21 Old 03-04-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

^^^^^
Great idea, and Iíd absolutely do something along those lines if I was only needing to add a couple lights to my set up.

Keep in mind here though, this is a good quality light that I have a significant investment it.
The light wasnít being used for anything, and mounting it in the Jeep is killing two birds.
1) putting it to use
2) getting it out of my way in the house.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I truly appreciate your time/effort.
Iím fairly certain I have the problem/issue worked out.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode