Wipers are “cold” sensitive? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-19-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Wipers are “cold” sensitive?

It’s been frigid here in Denver for what seems like an eternity. We got a cold snap and a good snow two weeks ago and ever since, my wipers will not turn on until engine is at temp + 15 minutes of driving. The motor makes a funny noise when I turn them on.

Speed/intervals fine and it still shoots fluid like a racehorse. Any suggestions? Is it possible that the motor needs something like a good cleaning? Grease? Trying to avoid replacing

2010 JKUR

Thank you.

o|||||||o
Denver, CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-20-2019, 07:18 AM
Granite Guru

Maybe I'm missing something from your description, but is it possible the wipers are frozen to the windshield? When I lived in the frozen tundra, I had to peel them off the windshield and knock the ice off them sometimes.

2014 JKUR
2008 JKR (sold)
2002 X
1948 CJ2A (restoration project)

When did your freedom to make stupid choices become my responsibility to pay for them?
post #3 of 11 Old 02-21-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Nope! Just slow to start and when they fire up the motor sounds funny.

o|||||||o
Denver, CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-21-2019, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

if you got weather that cold , I'd wear thermal underwear. However , I think the motor in your wiper system is goin' south on you & am implying it's not maybe not due to just cold any longer, .
Personally , I would extract that wiper motor and arms to 'go over ' it ( ie- clean , lubricate , diagnosis, repair ,replace) if mine were groaning and seizing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-21-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-21-2019, 07:07 PM
Wheeler

i can confirm...wiper motors are NOT cold sensitive. i am sitting here posted to Siberia at the moment (literally)...with -35 temps (WAY colder with windchill). wiper motors are fine. yup...the fluid freezes (rated to -45 my ass)...and like previously stated the blades themselves will freeze to the windshield, but aside from that...no "issues".

one thing i have noticed is that the relays tend to act funny in the extreme cold. for instance...my brake light relay is VERY loud on the super cold days . Odd i know, but it "clunks" on super cold days...but when it warms up, the "loudness" goes away. (still works though).
post #6 of 11 Old 02-21-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
if you got weather that cold , I'd wear thermal underwear. However , I think the motor in your wiper system is goin' south on you & am implying it's not maybe not due to just cold any longer, .
Personally , I would extract that wiper motor and arms to 'go over ' it ( ie- clean , lubricate , diagnosis, repair ,replace) if mine were groaning and seizing.

<a href="https://www.jkowners.com/forum/images/smilies/jeep2.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Jeep2" >:-)</a>

J3ff!!! I knew you’d come through. Keeper and wizard of the vast wonders of these forums is there a write up / thread on the dissection of such? I peeked through Haynes but it’s cold and I couldn’t find much past a wiring diagram.

o|||||||o
Denver, CO
post #7 of 11 Old 02-21-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistik_monkey View Post
i can confirm...wiper motors are NOT cold sensitive. i am sitting here posted to Siberia at the moment (literally)...with -35 temps (WAY colder with windchill). wiper motors are fine. yup...the fluid freezes (rated to -45 my ass)...and like previously stated the blades themselves will freeze to the windshield, but aside from that...no "issues".

one thing i have noticed is that the relays tend to act funny in the extreme cold. for instance...my brake light relay is VERY loud on the super cold days . Odd i know, but it "clunks" on super cold days...but when it warms up, the "loudness" goes away. (still works though).

I just want to know how/why you’re in literal Siberia!!

Thanks for the advice though

o|||||||o
Denver, CO
post #8 of 11 Old 02-22-2019, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbeeezy303 View Post
J3ff!!! I knew you’d come through. Keeper and wizard of the vast wonders of these forums is there a write up / thread on the dissection of such? I peeked through Haynes but it’s cold and I couldn’t find much past a wiring diagram.

Uh, let me use my magic , crystal Google ball .....

ok, the oracle of Google has replied with an answer to my question! Hail , mighty seer of all, the Google may it be praised....

It returned this , my wipe-seeking friend.

That would get me started and enough along to do what needed to be done , ymmv

I hope you get to leave the gulag soon. Maybe fashion a Mcguyver style lockpick / weapon from the old wiper blades and the bad motor to aid your escape from Siberia?

Good luck & plz update this with your results !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-24-2019, 01:03 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
beginning with the most obvious...

Not to be at all offensive, but could it be that your blades are frozen in place at first, so they cannot operate?

I've never had a failure of the wipers to operate in cold weather - unless they are bound by ice.

J3ffr3y - You are now the exalted Super Moderator? I'd love to see the epaulets and cap that come with that uniform!

Last edited by JJS2; 02-24-2019 at 01:07 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-25-2019, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS2 View Post
Not to be at all offensive, but could it be that your blades are frozen in place at first, so they cannot operate?

I've never had a failure of the wipers to operate in cold weather - unless they are bound by ice.

J3ffr3y - You are now the exalted Super Moderator? I'd love to see the epaulets and cap that come with that uniform!
is what @StubEXrube has me wear when I logon...

post #11 of 11 Old 02-26-2019, 06:19 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Super Moderator uniform

Ouch.

I was imagining something more like a South American Corporal's ….
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode