Dynamic or Non-Dynamic wiper motor - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-08-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Dynamic or Non-Dynamic wiper motor

Can anyone tell me if the windshield wiper motors on our JK's are dynamic or non-dynamic for the park feature?

Google is failing me tonight and I'm trying to buy switches for my future hotrod style wiring job.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 AM
DJ1
Rock God

Dynamic as in multiple speeds I'm assuming? I'll check right now...

* edit *
If I'm following you correctly, when in PARK, the wiper motors will operate at any of the 5 pre-set intervals in addition to the LO and HIGH settings to make it 7 total...

...at least for my 2012 JK...

Last edited by DJ1; 02-10-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
Dynamic as in multiple speeds I'm assuming? I'll check right now...

* edit *
If I'm following you correctly, when in PARK, the wiper motors will operate at any of the 5 pre-set intervals in addition to the LO and HIGH settings to make it 7 total...

...at least for my 2012 JK...
The dynamic and non dynamic is actually how the motor parks the wipers. I was only able to find how dynamic parking works, I'm pretty sure that's how our JK's work. At least it's how I remember them stopping this way.

When you turn the wiper switch off and the wipers are anywhere other than the parked position, there's a switch that keeps the motor in "low speed". When the wipers get to the park position, low speed shuts off and another switch backfeeds power into the motor, which turns it into a generator. This will stop the motor shaft from spinning almost instantaneously.

So I'm ASSUMING the non-dynamic style just shuts off all power when the park position is reached and the wipers will keep moving for whatever small distance it takes for the internal inertia to fall to zero. I guess

I haven't driven my Jeep in a while, but I'm pretty sure I remember them not moving at all when they hit the park position.

All of this bs is so I can have all the features of the stock wipers when running none of the factory wiring in the Jeep. Just a single wiper switch on the dash tied into a Painless wiring harness.

Sooo, if my swag is correct, I should be good to go with this:

DYNAMIC PARKING 1 MOTOR 12VDC 6 CODED WIRE LEADS ROUND KNOB IMPRINTED WITH | ElecDirect

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-12-2019, 02:44 AM
DJ1
Rock God

Well I was waaay off that one lol...
post #5 of 6 Old 02-12-2019, 05:04 AM
Rock God

I have found no evidence to indicate the JK wipers are dynamic as you describe. That doesn't mean they are not, just that the service manual doesn't mention it in the description of how the wiper park system works.

This is from the manual:

"If the wiper blades are in the down position on the windshield when the OFF position is selected, the park switch that is integral to the wiper motor is closed to ground, which provides a hard wired park switch sense input to the TIPM. The TIPM then de-energizes the wiper motor and the wiper motor ceases to operate. If the wiper blades are not in the down position on the windshield at the moment the OFF position is selected, the park switch is an open circuit and the TIPM continues running the wiper motor at low speed until the wiper blades are in the down position on the windshield and the park switch input to the TIPM is again closed to ground."

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #6 of 6 Old 02-12-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Interesting. I does sound like non-dynamic.

When I was trying to find out what all this dynamic and non-dynamic stuff actually did, the impression I got was that with a non-dynamic system, the wipers would never stop in the exact same spot every time. There would always be some variation in where the motor stopped moving.

When I get the switch I bought, I'll just have to test it and see what happens. The switch does have a micro processor in it that should do the job of the TIPM. The wiper motor has 5 wires going in it and this switch has 6, one being for power. I hope that's a good sign.

If it's a no-go they do make the same switch for non-dynamic parking.

I'm just trying to avoid the manual dance with the switch to stop the wipers out of the way and get the intermittent wiper speeds. I know, first world problems.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode