Factory satellite radio sucks - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By John_fender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-29-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Factory satellite radio sucks

I've owned this thing about 2 weeks now... And fuck is the satellite radio ever useless.

Searching around it looks like the antenna is on the roll bar A pillar on the passenger side... Okay, where do you move it to so it doesn't suck? All the threads I read either have broken pics, or they never reported back if it helped, or they just offered minimal info and were 10 years old.

And it sounded like an aftermarket antenna should fit, but it wasn't exactly definite? Can I just Amazon up one of the big aftermarket antennas? Reception sucks up here at best, since the satellites are at the equator it makes them super low on the horizon.

2011 JK Unlimited. It's orange. I've been told it's 'Ugly as sin' by somebody on Facebook. - SOLD
2018 JK Unlimited Rubicon. It's tan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-30-2019, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

My '11 had the 430n or whatever model . It wasn't touch screen head but had SirusXM.
The antenna is up above pssgr a pillar located in in the sport bar padding.

I never moved mine . I did edit this after seeing you'd searched
but couldn't find relocation info. Try your dash ,maybe?

Poor grounding of accessories can yield poor quality signal,ya know?

Anyway, I ran Sat rad since I used to be waaaay remote and it was nice to have tunes but then we realized the programming sucked and you can just stream all audio from mobile thus= cancel satellite radio . It was never less than crystal clear for those 2 years ,tho

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 01-30-2019 at 05:24 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-30-2019, 06:40 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

The only time I had signal issues was deep in the woods 50+ km from anywhere and then it was just patchy. It was always clear unless I had no signal.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-30-2019, 09:03 AM
Wheeler

When I installed a roof rack it blocked the signal. I moved the antenna to the hood to fix the problem. The antenna is waterproof and the cable is long enough to make the move.
Graeman likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-30-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

My '11 had the 430n or whatever model . It wasn't touch screen head but had SirusXM.
The antenna is up above pssgr a pillar located in in the sport bar padding.

I never moved mine . I did edit this after seeing you'd searched
but couldn't find relocation info. Try your dash ,maybe?

Poor grounding of accessories can yield poor quality signal,ya know?

Anyway, I ran Sat rad since I used to be waaaay remote and it was nice to have tunes but then we realized the programming sucked and you can just stream all audio from mobile thus= cancel satellite radio . It was never less than crystal clear for those 2 years ,tho
The programming does suck. But I paid for the service by buying the Jeep. If I could have got it without the sat radio (honestly, if I could have got it without their garbage touch screen radio/nav unit) for less money, I would have, unfortunately FCA knows that a guy like me wants a Rubicon but doesn't want garbage like that, so they bundle that garbage with it so you have to pay for it. So out of spite I wish to listen to the satellite radio until the subscription expires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
The only time I had signal issues was deep in the woods 50+ km from anywhere and then it was just patchy. It was always clear unless I had no signal.
I'm farther north than 99.9% or the population of Onterrible. The satellite constellation was placed with the intention of it giving a clean signal in the contiguous US, and not really any farther north. Shadowing becomes a major problem as you go higher, so the antenna needs to have as few obstructions as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_fender View Post
When I installed a roof rack it blocked the signal. I moved the antenna to the hood to fix the problem. The antenna is waterproof and the cable is long enough to make the move.
Okay. Did you do anything special to mount it, or just a little emblem tape or something similar? I'm assuming the factory antenna isn't magnetic...

2011 JK Unlimited. It's orange. I've been told it's 'Ugly as sin' by somebody on Facebook. - SOLD
post #6 of 13 Old 01-30-2019, 01:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Come to think of it I never had problems in Saskatchewan when I lived there, but there is a reason the Saskatoon offroad club is called Flatland 4x4. Also your whole hippie province is north of 99.9% of the population in Onterrible.

post #7 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 06:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
45th Paralell SIRIUS

I allowed my JKU's subscription to lapse, but my wife keeps hers active in her Outback. With both vehicles, we drop signals if there are obstructions to the south - be it tall buildings or overhanging trees when driving up north.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 08:09 PM
Granite Guru

Dirty MJ,
In our neighborhood the Sat radio sucks.
When Jeep first got on board they used Sirius and it was marginal. After the two companies merged we started getting the signal from the XM satellite. And it blows. I don't think you can do anything to make it better.
I pay a sub. And I bitch about it. If I didn't have it I would be streaming from my phone and wouldn't be able to not screw with it when driving. So I would end up with a ticket for using a device. That is what would happen and I know it.
One of my co-workers got a ticket it was $385 then he had to pay some points also so it worked out to about $600. F/N Mounties.

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
post #9 of 13 Old 01-31-2019, 08:12 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Come to think of it I never had problems in Saskatchewan when I lived there, but there is a reason the Saskatoon offroad club is called Flatland 4x4. Also your whole hippie province is north of 99.9% of the population in Onterrible.
Hippie province is right. But guess what you can smoke weed anywhere in the country now. Ontario is getting them back. B.C. is giving them a free bus ticket-one way.

post #10 of 13 Old 02-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Are you sure? They don’t like Doug Ford (conservative governments) and like to protest pipelines. Don’t y’all have a sociallist government and I know you have pipeline protests.

post #11 of 13 Old 02-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Granite Guru

The reason why we got all those Ontario immigrants was because our weed laws were so lax. If you got caught with a trunk load for the fourth or fifth time you could get a weekend in jail.
Now that its legal they are going east, heading home to Ont.

post #12 of 13 Old 02-01-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
Dirty MJ,
In our neighborhood the Sat radio sucks.
When Jeep first got on board they used Sirius and it was marginal. After the two companies merged we started getting the signal from the XM satellite. And it blows. I don't think you can do anything to make it better.
I pay a sub. And I bitch about it. If I didn't have it I would be streaming from my phone and wouldn't be able to not screw with it when driving. So I would end up with a ticket for using a device. That is what would happen and I know it.
One of my co-workers got a ticket it was $385 then he had to pay some points also so it worked out to about $600. F/N Mounties.
Interesting point. I had Sirius back in the day and it was tolerable with a roof mounted antenna, of course you would lose it going through the mountains and some of the places I worked would be permanently shadowed, but all in all it was way better than this. I'm also farther north than you, so if you haven't had better luck with it then I sure won't. I ditched it before the merger because I would listen to it 14+ hours a day in the truck, and found the programming to be too repetitive, MP3 players were cheap the RIAA hadn't really put the screws on the sharing sites at that point.

I might move the antenna just for the sake of it, but it's not getting renewed. With my phone synced to it I can at least hit next track without touching the phone; although honestly I find the entire "Uconnect" Nav headunit thing to be a pathetic disappointment, and I had really low expectations.

post #13 of 13 Old 02-01-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
Hippie province is right. But guess what you can smoke weed anywhere in the country now. Ontario is getting them back. B.C. is giving them a free bus ticket-one way.
I support that plan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode