Installing the Cobra C75WXST the proper way - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By rich6700
  • 1 Post By White13JKUR
  • 1 Post By snout
  • 1 Post By White13JKUR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-29-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Installing the Cobra C75WXST the proper way

I'm heading off on a group thing and the rules are I need to have a CB. Not wanting a CB I opted for the Cobra C75WXST because its smaller and can be easily removed. After a quick google I found that everyone installed them in the same place - under the glove box, with the connector poking in to the passenger section. So I did that.
WTF? You can't all be happy with that stupid connector just hanging there?
I purchased an aviator waterproof 5 DIN male / female from Amazon and in a little over an hour of cutting, soldering, and Sugra-ing, I'd extended the supplied cable to reach in to a better part of the dash, added a quick disconnect so I can easily remove it, and patched the original hole. This thing is now installed like a grown up. No hanging wires. No fiddly screw connectors. And as a bonus, has a dust cap.
Attached Images

My never ending build log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mozzer502; 12-29-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-29-2018, 04:54 PM
Granite Guru

Nice job. The problem with that CB is the range sucks but still nice to have. I've found that a relatively cheap set of 2 way radios work better.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
mozzer502 likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-31-2018, 10:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Nice, clean install on the Cobra. I had the Midland 75-822. That one installs cleanly with less work and less to hide.

Most of the folks I roll with have dropped CB and have gone to ham (legal or not) and GMRS radios.

You can get a 25w UHF/VHF (ham) radio for the same price or less than the 75.

You can't do this with CB radios....

mozzer502 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-31-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I completely agree with you. I really don't want a CB in my truck but I'm doing the Cal4Wheel Winter Fun Festival at the end of Jan and it's in their trail rules for night offroading.
So is carrying snow chains. I've never needed them in my life. They're costing me a fortune in junk I'll never use.

My never ending build log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-01-2019, 09:45 AM
JKowners Vendor

Might be in the rules but bet 50%+ don't have either.

IMO Best CB for the $ is the AnyTone.

https://www.amazon.com/AnyTone-Smart.../dp/B0140QP3VU

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #6 of 12 Old 01-01-2019, 11:36 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
You can't do this with CB radios....

Every day my Jeep is rolling around with an awesome piece of JKO memorabilia.
White13JKUR likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-01-2019, 07:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
Might be in the rules but bet 50%+ don't have either.

IMO Best CB for the $ is the AnyTone.

https://www.amazon.com/AnyTone-Smart.../dp/B0140QP3VU
This is not a CB radio, it is a 10M amateur radio. Modifying it to work on CB (11M) is illegal. Not that anybody will care, as long as you never transmit on 10M (unless you have a General or Extra class Ham license). But the mod is also pointless except for bragging rights. The receiver section is no better than any CB and worse than many. So what if you can transmit at (illegal) 10W if you can't hear normal CB'ers replies?

As for the 75WXST, Cobra essentially took a walkie-talkie design, lopped-off the battery compartment and routed the antenna, external speaker jack and power jack through the mic cable to an interface box you mount remotely. Pretty nifty in terms of a clean install, but it still suffers from the same inherent problem as a hand-held; limited space inside the radio to dissipate heat from the final power transistor. And that is going to limit your output power due to manufacturer's tuning-down the radio to prevent overheating. Even the small Uniden radios have around 10X better heat dissipation.

Most CB radios can be peaked and tuned by a CB shop for $50-100 to put out the maximum legal power, even those $40 Uniden 520XL's. Get a 4' Firestick or Wilson antenna, mount it so it sticks up higher than your roof line, make sure the antenna is grounded well to your chassis, and use good quality coax to wire it up. Finish off by adjusting the SWR as tight as possible and you'll have great transmit AND RECEIVE improvement over 99% of the setups out there.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #8 of 12 Old 01-02-2019, 07:02 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
This is not a CB radio, it is a 10M amateur radio. Modifying it to work on CB (11M) is illegal. Not that anybody will care, as long as you never transmit on 10M (unless you have a General or Extra class Ham license). But the mod is also pointless except for bragging rights. The receiver section is no better than any CB and worse than many. So what if you can transmit at (illegal) 10W if you can't hear normal CB'ers replies?

Did you even look at its size...
Many have done the mod and it works great.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

post #9 of 12 Old 01-02-2019, 08:44 AM
JKO Addict!

OP: Your install is clean. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

As for the 75WXST, Cobra essentially took a walkie-talkie design, lopped-off the battery compartment and routed the antenna, external speaker jack and power jack through the mic cable to an interface box you mount remotely. Pretty nifty in terms of a clean install, but it still suffers from the same inherent problem as a hand-held; limited space inside the radio to dissipate heat from the final power transistor. And that is going to limit your output power due to manufacturer's tuning-down the radio to prevent overheating. Even the small Uniden radios have around 10X better heat dissipation.

Most CB radios can be peaked and tuned by a CB shop for $50-100 to put out the maximum legal power, even those $40 Uniden 520XL's. Get a 4' Firestick or Wilson antenna, mount it so it sticks up higher than your roof line, make sure the antenna is grounded well to your chassis, and use good quality coax to wire it up. Finish off by adjusting the SWR as tight as possible and you'll have great transmit AND RECEIVE improvement over 99% of the setups out there.
I've had the Uniden 510XL - same as the 520 with fewer bells and whistles. It worked well plus I was using an Astatic mic with it and a 4' FireStik. FS-II.

For on-trail use, it was no better than the Midland 75-822 connected to the same external antenna. They all out 4w. It's probably not worth sending the radio to Bells CB for a "peak and tune". The "modulation" can't be tweaked up that much anyway and you really need to go with their more advanced modifications that replaces the output stage if you want real CB power.

If you're handy, you can probably figure out which on-board potentiometer to dial up so you can kick up your output power.
mozzer502 likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Agreed on all counts. Using a HAM without a license, I hope you don't get caught. Licensing is nothing, last time I looked 15.00 and pass a straight forward test.

Quote:

Most CB radios can be peaked and tuned by a CB shop for $50-100
Not even that much
Quote:
to put out the maximum legal power, even those $40 Uniden 520XL's. Get a 4' Firestick or Wilson antenna, mount it so it sticks up higher than your roof line, make sure the antenna is grounded well to your chassis, and use good quality coax to wire it up. Finish off by adjusting the SWR as tight as possible and you'll have great transmit AND RECEIVE improvement over 99% of the setups out there.
Completely true. My last jeep I had my CB with just a truck stop co-axial, 4' antenna and the normal spare tire adapter (grounding points cleaned off the powder coating) and it had a SRW of 1.2 when the CB shop guy checked it. It put out more then I wanted, but it was clear on any channel and I was talking to guys across town without issues with zero sight line.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #11 of 12 Old 01-20-2019, 03:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
Did you even look at its size...
Many have done the mod and it works great.
I know the radio. I own the VHF/UHF version. What is your point? I would think an identifiable business would be more cautious about promoting illegal activities in a public forum, regardless as to the FCC's track record (or lack thereof) of enforcement.

Regardless, do it, don't do it, it doesn't bother me. My goal is to inform people that it is illegal and pointless. There are legal CB radios nearly as small. The extra power is pointless if the person on the other end is running a legal radio. And while the FCC seldom takes action, when they do, the fine starts at $10,000.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #12 of 12 Old 01-20-2019, 09:00 PM
Rock God

Garage
Ham

I'm an Extra Class Ham, but I also have a CB in the jeep. I don't want much power with the CB because I have no interest in talking farther than the group I'm wheeling with. On the other hand I don't want to encourage people that don't wish to put forth a little effort and $15 for a ham license to use one with out a license.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode