Piecing together my side marker “assembly”? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pbeeezy303

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-14-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Piecing together my side marker “assembly”?

Rookie mistake; I did spark plugs + wires and somehow my side marker light got in a ménage à trois with my spark plug wires who’s fate ended at the Safari Car Wash trash can. (Spark Plug wire #5 managed to survive the extradition)

I just received my “recommended replacement” parts from Quadratec. I have 1) Nicaragua’s finest Mopar “Side Marker Jumper Assembly” and 2) A rare and original Taiwanese “Socket” from Crown Automotive.

Apparently the internet is dumb or I’m dumb for throwing away the damn thing to begin with buuuuuuut how do I get my Taiwanese 2 wire to mate with his Nicaraguan bride? Does it clamp? Do I solder? Leave the two unsupervised in a cheap motel room and hope for the best?
I cannot find instructions or YouTube videos and I won’t even get started on a particular, reputable website having NO mention that you must have the two to tango. It’s cold and dark and I am trying to feng shui my Jeep tonight.

I’m sure the answer is simple but I spent a whopping $6 on this and don’t want to wait another 5 days for it to arrive.

**Pictures attached and I even drew flags to over complicate this already lengthy to-do.
***Seeks forgiveness in advance
****This just in, photo will not upload. Stand by for PC edit

o|||||||o
Denver, CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-15-2018, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbeeezy303 View Post
Rookie mistake; I did spark plugs + wires and somehow my side marker light got in a ménage à trois with my spark plug wires who’s fate ended at the Safari Car Wash trash can. (Spark Plug wire #5 managed to survive the extradition)

I just received my “recommended replacement” parts from Quadratec. I have 1) Nicaragua’s finest Mopar “Side Marker Jumper Assembly” and 2) A rare and original Taiwanese “Socket” from Crown Automotive.

Apparently the internet is dumb or I’m dumb for throwing away the damn thing to begin with buuuuuuut how do I get my Taiwanese 2 wire to mate with his Nicaraguan bride? Does it clamp? Do I solder? Leave the two unsupervised in a cheap motel room and hope for the best?
I cannot find instructions or YouTube videos and I won’t even get started on a particular, reputable website having NO mention that you must have the two to tango. It’s cold and dark and I am trying to feng shui my Jeep tonight.

I’m sure the answer is simple but I spent a whopping $6 on this and don’t want to wait another 5 days for it to arrive.

**Pictures attached and I even drew flags to over complicate this already lengthy to-do.
***Seeks forgiveness in advance
****This just in, photo will not upload. Stand by for PC edit

This just in : use a darn image hosting site to freely stash & generate a URL to the image versus trying to upload to JKOwners server will then permit you to paste the image address in the "[IMG]" boxes. Lots of us use Imgur cuz it's awesome+free
You need pix 'cuz none of those lotsa words make sense, all due respect....

I reread your post . It may not be what you're asking but
I have had these installed in place of the factory side markers for over 6 years & they work great:

just spliced 'em into the stock fender-lens lamp wiring is.
There's no question about connection; always solder or use those heat- shrink, self-soldering, waterproof butt connectors at the least. Jks are finicky about electric stuff so try to duplicate what exists as best as you can .....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 12-15-2018 at 06:03 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-15-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Does this work?

https://imgur.com/a/tRZ348e

One jumper harness? And one socket with two wires.

o|||||||o
Denver, CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-15-2018, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Does this work?

It does. I can see it by selecting it,yep.
You can choice an alternate URL for sharing but it will have the now cloud-stored imsge URL ending in either .jpg or .png ; it's called a DirectLink & that's how they can appear in these threads .��

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-15-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
Quote:
Does this work?

It does. I can see it by selecting it,yep.
You can choice an alternate URL for sharing but it will have the now cloud-stored imsge URL ending in either .jpg or .png ; it's called a DirectLink & that's how they can appear in these threads .��

One jumper harness and one socket with two wires is correct-o. I just revisited my order and while I am *certain* it populated under “my Jeep” it says it’s for a CJ. From the looks of it I can get a little socket that goes directly into the gray end however it’s out of stock/no idea when it’ll be in stock on amazon + others.

On your LED’s did you wire it directly into the wires or did you do it through the connector piece?

Forgive me for not knowing what all this stuff is called— electronics and me are new friends..... or frenemies

o|||||||o
Denver, CO
post #6 of 7 Old 12-16-2018, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
One jumper harness and one socket with two wires is correct-o. I just revisited my order and while I am *certain* it populated under “my Jeep” it says it’s for a CJ. From the looks of it I can get a little socket that goes directly into the gray end however it’s out of stock/no idea when it’ll be in stock on amazon + others.

On your LED’s did you wire it directly into the wires or did you do it through the connector piece?

Forgive me for not knowing what all this stuff is called— electronics and me are new friends..... or frenemies

mine were not LEDs but I soldered them into the wires after sipping the connector end off. LED requires too much for JKs & I didn't need 2 MORE* resisters , just for side markers ...

(*I run 4 function led tails and LED headlights and festoon bulbs but the rest remains halogen ....even my front turns are still the stock ( smoked) )

post #7 of 7 Old 12-27-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

If anyone was wondering the final outcome here. Socket was for a CJ, useless to me. The socket needed, to my knowledge, does not exist solo but is a part of the side marker assembly. Bought cheap from Crown popped that sucker out of the housing and into my jumper and boom we have light.

o|||||||o
Denver, CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode