Aftermarket radio install fail - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Banshee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-06-2018, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Aftermarket radio install fail

Hey guys! Brand new here, created an account so I can ask this question actually. So I have an ‘08 jk, and I bought a new radio for it and I went to go swap it out, well I ended up cutting the factory harness (awful idea right) because I couldn’t find a pigtail that worked for the life of me. As I was wiring everything up, I got a host of problems: first I couldn’t turn the factory amp on, then the ground and acc wires accidentally touched and now the car won’t start (I checked every fuse in the fuse box,🤷‍♂&#xfe0f, there’s a canbus + & canbus - I believe in the dash to that communicate with the head unit, and whenever I put those together, on b+, or anything else, they go crazy, turning my headlights on, and lighting up my dash with just about every error light there is. I’m panicking... any ideas as to what the **** I did wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-07-2018, 07:22 AM
JKowners Vendor

Trying to hook it up to the canbus and stock amp...thats where ya went wrong.

Get a new aftermarket amp and wire up the speakers direct to the new amp. Grab your switched hot, ground and constant hot and tie into the radio and amp.

Lots of posts on this forum and the web.....search.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-07-2018, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

^this x2.

You , basically, don't f*ck w/ a JK/JKU electrical or bus due to it's inherent sensitivity to ...well, pretty-much anything. You circumvent it completely or at most trigger an appropriate relay off some aux power but that's it. FCA spent 10s of millions of dollars designing such a cluster-f*ck of harness-evil + CAN bus devil-data alleys that to try to solder it to your will shall result in you mucking your JEEP up , but good.

Fwiw, you mess with ANY grounds within a given system and you're potential for fouling the TIPM up increases.

Put it back the way it was and proceed as advised by @CT Performance Inc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-08-2018, 09:58 AM

Garage

I didn't know there was a CAN bus connection to the head unit. That doesn't make any sense to me unless that has something to do with the UConnect system.

It would depend on the distance the radio is from the rest of the CAN bus network, but you could possibly leave those wires disconnected.
If things don't seem to work (JK won't start or behaves badly), you will just need to add a resistor (120 ohm) between those two wires. Don't tie either wire to power or ground.

If the CAN bus isn't happy, you won't be either.

I'm a Jeep noob...
But it's only a temporary condition.

'07 JK X, 6spd, D30,D44, 3.21 gears
post #5 of 10 Old 11-08-2018, 10:04 AM

Garage

*EDIT* Apologies, but I have to correct myself for getting bus networks confused.

It's not so much the distance, but whether the radio is at the end of a bus segment. CAN bus requires 120 ohm termination at both the start and end of a bus segment.
It might also require them if a branch in the middle is really long, but I would have to pull up the CAN specs again to say for sure.

I'm a Jeep noob...

post #6 of 10 Old 11-08-2018, 03:41 PM
Rock God

Just for a reference, though. This is the wiring pinout for the connector.

Note that the version with the factory amp only uses left right channels, not all four. That is because the factory amp only uses 2 channel input, and the OEM headunit sends the front / rear fade instructions to the amp via the canbus. Th unit I got came with the adapter harnesses. It took me a while to figure out I had to use the one with fewer wires for my '08 with Infinity amp... And I lost front/rear fade.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.

Last edited by Banshee; 11-08-2018 at 03:44 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-09-2018, 05:09 PM
Granite Guru

I guess the CAN controls the head unit after you park and turn the Jeep off. Radio still plays till you open the door or times out?

"It's not the critic who counts..." T. Roosevelt
post #8 of 10 Old 11-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I just ordered a New radio, install kit and harness adapter from Crutchfield. After reading this thread, I am glad I did.
I guess i will pay close attention to the wiring instructions provided from Crutchfield.

2008 Wrangler JK 2 door
3.8 with 6 speed
post #9 of 10 Old 11-10-2018, 11:57 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroMark View Post
I guess the CAN controls the head unit after you park and turn the Jeep off. Radio still plays till you open the door or times out?
I'd say so. The Seicane Android unit I installed now shuts down as soon as I turn off the key, and it loses the accessory power signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-11-2018, 02:14 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep 99 View Post
I just ordered a New radio, install kit and harness adapter from Crutchfield. After reading this thread, I am glad I did.
I guess i will pay close attention to the wiring instructions provided from Crutchfield.
Although you can tend to find equipment cheaper than at Crutchfield, I have always liked the install kits and instructions that they include (which kinda evens out the price).
It sounds like I will need to make sure I do my research when I get ready to swap my head unit as well.

I'm a Jeep noob...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode