Backup Cameras: What & where? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Backup Cameras: What & where?

For you guys that installed backup cameras - either through your Lockpick or through an aftermarket system, what did you use for a camera & where did you mount it?

I was thinking of not drilling a hole in my bumper (for when I sell it after I get my heavy duty bumper) - but I want to mount it centerline - preferably under the tire (to help w/ trailer hitch-up) - but don't want to risk bashing it with the trailer when I hook it up.

I've seen some installations here already - looking for a longer list w/ photos of what you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 08:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just ordered a system from Total Vision. the monitor is going to replace my rear view mirror. I'll be putting the camera in the rear bumper. (I know you said you are trying to avoid that)
I'll post up pictures when I get it all installed.
post #3 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I got one like this off EBAY http://cgi.ebay.com/BACKUP-CAR-REAR-...item2c57e10758. Was cheap and works great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks. How well does that work at night?
post #5 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Off the pavement it works decent, with the help of my reverse lights. Sometimes I don't use it though at night on highways, cause when someone gets on your ass it can be blinding.
post #6 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 01:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDodge View Post
Off the pavement it works decent, with the help of my reverse lights. Sometimes I don't use it though at night on highways, cause when someone gets on your ass it can be blinding.
I've been looking for a rear mounted camera... the site says they are infrared, which from my experience they don't put out a whole lot of light. I have a security camera that has infrared led's and they are red in color and not bright at all.

Does anyone know of a small camera that would fit flush in the bumper?

Thanks,

Steve

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 07unlimitedx; 10-09-2010 at 09:23 AM.
post #7 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 02:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

Here check this out...http://www.coastaletech.com/LOCKPICK_CAMERAS.htm

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #8 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Granite Guru

What I did was take a centercap from my aev cap that the sticker flew off of, drilled it out and put a cam in the cap. I then made a quick disconnect with some amphenol plugs I had around the shop. I will take some pictures this weekend.
post #9 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnauzer View Post
What I did was take a centercap from my aev cap that the sticker flew off of, drilled it out and put a cam in the cap. I then made a quick disconnect with some amphenol plugs I had around the shop. I will take some pictures this weekend.
Now THAT's a smokin' idea! I'd love to see the photo of that.

I looked at the lockpick cameras. The small one is a $50 rip-off:
http://tinyurl.com/2d3wa4h

And the big one would be mounted off to the side, not on the centerline of the hitch. Plus, here in Texas, if you obscure the license plate - even part of the plate - it's a ticket. I haven't seen them stop someone for it, but it's just on the list of things they'll nail you for when you do get stopped.

Show me your photos of your small cameras mounted!
post #10 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJBurt View Post
I installed the night-vision camera on a piece of aluminum that I JB-welded to the trailer hitch - works perfectly.

Will post pics probably this weekend, as another member asked for them too.

2010 Unlimited Preferred Package: Manual EVERYTHING
post #11 of 29 Old 10-08-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromantix View Post
I installed the night-vision camera on a piece of aluminum that I JB-welded to the trailer hitch - works perfectly.
Thanks Chromantix - have you ever hitched up a trailer? I'd love to have that view on things, but am afraid of destroying it when I hitch up.
post #12 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 03:01 AM
TJT
Rock God

I made a cal to tvandnav2go and they had four different cameras to choose from. (All $99)

I went with the drill through camera (reverse lens, low lux, wide angle)

post #13 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep2.0 View Post
Thanks Chromantix - have you ever hitched up a trailer? I'd love to have that view on things, but am afraid of destroying it when I hitch up.
No, but I'll try to do that this weekend (have a trailer). In-law is coming so if I don't respond, please be kind.

Here are two pics of the install. I took an aluminum bracket, cut it to size, and painted it. Then I scuffed up the top of the hitch and mated the two with JB Weld. The blue tape is painters tape used to protect the hitch from when I painted the bracket again:

This is a shot from about 10 feet away:

It looks better in person... I'm happy to not have to muck with the bumper. I have to route the cable this weekend and hook it up to a trailer, will post more pics (including the in-car view of the trailer).

post #14 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Now THAT's a smokin' idea! I'd love to see the photo of that.

I looked at the lockpick cameras. The small one is a $50 rip-off:
http://tinyurl.com/2d3wa4h

And the big one would be mounted off to the side, not on the centerline of the hitch. Plus, here in Texas, if you obscure the license plate - even part of the plate - it's a ticket. I haven't seen them stop someone for it, but it's just on the list of things they'll nail you for when you do get stopped.

Show me your photos of your small cameras mounted!
Pics as promissed.

post #15 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

I've just ordered the Poison Spyder BFH rear bumper and it has a cut out of the spider in it. I wonder if one of the smaller cameras could mount behind the spider cut out?

JKOutcast
post #16 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnauzer View Post
Pics as promissed.
Schnauzer, that's beautiful. Thanks for posting. I'm gonna try & do the same I think. I wonder if I should do that, or mount it to the spare mount, peeing through the wheel?? Got any photos of what your camera sees mounted there?
post #17 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Granite Guru

Done

Ok, the install is done. It's not as snazzy as the installs above, and that's totally fine w/ me. I was looking for something quick and easy to do that wouldn't require cutting the bumper or lots of fabrication. To the pics:

This is what it looks like all done (it's barely noticeable in the pic):

This is a side view about a foot from a mock "curb":

This is the inside view of the above shot. I'd say it's pretty accurate:

This is backing up to a trailer (note the hitch is HUGE in the pic):

And this is with the trailer attached:

Bottom line: I'm very happy. I'm going to test out the night vision later this weekend but think it'll work out just fine.

When I replace the stock bumper, I'll put LED's in as backups, eliminating the need for the night vision. When that happens, I'll get a little more crafty like the guys above. Until then... SATISFIED.

post #18 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Wicked Infa red night viewing distance. the angle view is better than 120+- 5 Degrees. Got the Camera from Ebay too.

'10 Surf 2Door Rubicon

'01
<-Vid Flexin' Muscle

6.2 liter Motec Ls swapped 2011 Jku with Rock Jock 60, Dynatrac rcv Pr44, and usual other beef on 37" MTR's.
post #19 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Schnauzer, that's beautiful. Thanks for posting. I'm gonna try & do the same I think. I wonder if I should do that, or mount it to the spare mount, peeing through the wheel?? Got any photos of what your camera sees mounted there?
I will take a pic of the view when i have a chance. I made these little aluminum spacers out of tubing that allow me to adjust the angle of the camera, i need a slightly sharper angle on the next set to fine tune my view.
post #20 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmanTim View Post
Wicked Infa red night viewing distance. the angle view is better than 120+- 5 Degrees. Got the Camera from Ebay too.
Guys, thanks for all the pix. This is giving me plenty of ideas!

toolmanTim - do you have any photos of what you see peeking out through the wheel like that?
post #21 of 29 Old 10-12-2010, 04:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromantix View Post

Will post pics probably this weekend, as another member asked for them too.
Will this camera work with full function with an Alpine iXA-W404? I really want to get a camera with these features.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Steve

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #22 of 29 Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 PM
JKO Addict!

I went with a PLCM22IR...

http://www.pyleaudio.com/

Compared at pyleaudio, but purchased from Amazon.com

I mounted it on a plate of aluminum where my winch fairlead would mount.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #23 of 29 Old 10-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
Will this camera work with full function with an Alpine iXA-W404? I really want to get a camera with these features.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Steve
I don't see why not (though I'm not an expert). All it is is a power line and a (yellow) RCA for the video.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but... it seems pretty standard. Would take a pic but it's wrapped in electrical tape now.

post #24 of 29 Old 10-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Granite Guru

Good info, I'm in the market for one of these too. I don't see too much between my 35" tire (which will be a 37" in a few months) and the jamboree rack, especially now that the HT is back on.

I don't have MyGig so I need to mount a monitor above the dash, I was hoping for something bigger than 3.5" screen. Anyone seen something like that?

08 JKUR 6.5" lift, 40" MTR's ...
post #25 of 29 Old 10-17-2010, 10:25 PM
TJT
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitta View Post
I don't have MyGig so I need to mount a monitor above the dash, I was hoping for something bigger than 3.5" screen. Anyone seen something like that?
Not sure how much the dedicated monitors are, but maybe look into a non-nav MyGig instead? Those can be found in the 200-300 range with a sat antenna. Even less if its out of an '07.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode