Dash smoke/ electrical burn smell - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-12-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Dash smoke/ electrical burn smell

Basically I started my Jeep in my garage to go somewhere and a stream of smoke came out from on top of the dash between the radio and airbag, I want to say it started above the glove box door to narrow it down better. It smoked for 3-4 seconds before it dissipated then smelled like burned electrical. I popped the glove box door off and the top cover to the radio to see what was going on but didn’t see anymore smoke or any sort of fire. Then I looked under the dash best I could, couldn’t see any burnt wires or smelled anything (wires are tied and covered under dash.) everything is stock on the dash no aftermarket radio’s or anything. I did have the passenger airbag replaced from a recall years ago. All windows and everything that is electrical is working fine, no codes either.

I’m stumped, I’ve searched the net for anything related but haven’t found much.

Anyone have ideas or heard of anything like this?

Jeep is 2008 6 speed unlimited.

OIF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-13-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Going to check fuses now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OIF
post #3 of 8 Old 10-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

when OP says " and a stream of smoke came out ..." after starting ; how long after starting...do you mean it went POOF! like a flashbulb the very second the key was turned to start or do you mean within seconds after turning the key to start and hearing the starter initiate and the engine crank and a few cranking revs before full engagement and running you glanced shortly after it HAD started and at someplace near or after this you noticed a stream of smoke issuing from the dash?

that would make a big difference.

( you should search this site for Mr. Nibbles; at this time of year, all manner of vermin and little rodents will seeek warm refuge for the winter and get themselves setup in all manner of nooks and crannies...just sayin. )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-13-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It wasn’t like “poof” it started a few seconds after starting at idle. So the Jeep had been running for maybe 30-40 seconds then I noticed the smoke.

OIF
post #5 of 8 Old 10-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

ah

you have any luck w/ the fuse diagnosis?

I know @ronjenx on here has al lof the JKU FSM and other tech docs, so maybe he can tell ya what's back there...I mean, the other guys are right; the fuse box is right there. the cabin air vent is also there ...I wonder if somehow you got some type of wire short out after it rubbed thru the insulation eventually or somethin..I just dont know what is specifically back behind that area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-13-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Fuses look good couldn’t find any blown. Yea I was thinking maybe something came through the cabin possibly. I checked to see if a seal had come off or worn but nothing out of the ordinary.

I’m still poking around at it now. I’ve also driven it a few times haven’t seen it back either or smelled anything.

OIF
post #7 of 8 Old 10-13-2018, 05:14 PM
Rock God

Look at the blower resistors. They get hot. Maybe one of them gave up the ghost.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #8 of 8 Old 10-13-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Look at the blower resistors. They get hot. Maybe one of them gave up the ghost.

Just pulled it. I see what you mean by them getting hot. One spot I saw was at the solder point on the inside. Or than light surface rust on the metal nothing really stuck out to me that I could find. Connector to it looks good

OIF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode