Wiring harness for HIDs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-07-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Wiring harness for HIDs

I would like to upgrade my 100W halogen driving beam KC Daylighters to some flood pattern 50W HIDs (looking at Eagle Eyes currently, but am intrigued by Lightforce).

I'd rather not run new wiring since I have carefully tucked, bundled, tied and hidden the wiring for the KCs to my front bumper. The current wiring is the wiring harness that came with my KCs when I bought them. Standard Bosch relay, 18ga stranded wires, fuse, terminals, switch, etc. Everything works fine and is in good shape.

Can I use the same wiring and just replace the lights on the bumper "plug and play" style?

Everything I read about HIDs says they draw LESS current than halogens. So I figured it would be fine. Just want to be sure before I end up on another "Jeep on fire" thread.

Thanks.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Granite Guru

Since you are actualy going down in current draw. Sure. Just remember to put in a smaller fuse. Good to go!

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
post #3 of 4 Old 10-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Rock God

If you're gonna go with the Eagle Eye's, look at a driving light I have/had them (have since upgraded as a friend was going to buy them). They put out a ton of light all around the beam pattern. I'm seriously considering upgrading to some LF lights (and possibly putting an aftermarket 70w ballast & bulb in), but don't want the hassel of having to deal with external ballasts.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
I would like to upgrade my 100W halogen driving beam KC Daylighters to some flood pattern 50W HIDs (looking at Eagle Eyes currently, but am intrigued by Lightforce).

I'd rather not run new wiring since I have carefully tucked, bundled, tied and hidden the wiring for the KCs to my front bumper. The current wiring is the wiring harness that came with my KCs when I bought them. Standard Bosch relay, 18ga stranded wires, fuse, terminals, switch, etc. Everything works fine and is in good shape.

Can I use the same wiring and just replace the lights on the bumper "plug and play" style?

Everything I read about HIDs says they draw LESS current than halogens. So I figured it would be fine. Just want to be sure before I end up on another "Jeep on fire" thread.

Thanks.
Simple plug-n-play. You will need to either hard wire in the Eagle Eyes or add a connector. They come with standard end terminals.

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode