spod wiring - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-26-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
spod wiring

I have a 2012 JK with an installed Spod. I would like to power my seat warmers thru it and need to know the best way to wire it. I have 4 open rockers to use. The Seat warmers currently are powered off the cigarette lighter. I would like to remove the power adapter and wire them direct to spot. Also what gauge wire would be the best to use?

Sexy Jeep Girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-26-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Spod wiring

So...I went out and bought black and red 18g wire and spliced it into the wiring harness of the seat warmers. ran it up under the steering wheel and thru the hole in the cowl. I put ends on the wire and hooked it into available spots on the the Spod. Worked great and seats are now ready for cool weather!

Sexy Jeep Girl
post #3 of 4 Old 08-27-2018, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Yes, they were aftermarket warmers. I bought them thru Quadratec a couple of years ago. They came with Wet Okole Neoprene seat covers. I don't see any specs related to the warming portion. None of the current seat heaters on Quadratec match what I have and I don't see them listed on wet okole either.

Sexy Jeep Girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-27-2018, 09:46 PM
Rock God

18 gauge wire sounds a little light for heated seats. One of the seat heaters currently listed on quadratec says it draws between 4A and 10A. To figure out what gauge wire you should be using, you can use one of many online tools. Here's one.

https://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html

Using this calculator, and assuming the worst case 10A, with a 10 ft wire run (just a guess on my part) the minimum size wire would be 14 gauge.

At 4A draw, 11 ft would be the maximum length of a run for 18 gauge wire.

It's always better to run thicker wire than you think you need. The last thing you want is to burn down your jeep because you saved a few bucks on wire.

Also, remember to get the right size fuse in the sPod for that slot. How do you figure out what size fuse to put in?

https://www.oznium.com/blog/how-to-d...-your-project/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode