MyGig need to knows? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

MyGig need to knows?

Is there anything I need to know about installing a mygig unit?
Do I need to go to the dealer and have anything flashed?
Any downsides to installing one?
How do I figure out if I need a high or low speed?
Are there any better options for the same money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-04-2010, 08:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

1. It's super easy... 4 screws.
2. Probably, but I'm not sure. Don't pay more than 50.00 though.
3. If you have an 08 or below rer, you can't control your iPod through the unit.
4. All Wranglers are high speed
5. What kind of money? I'm in the market for a Nav/DVD unit now, and the Kenwood's have Garmin maps. dnx9960 for around 1200 bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #3 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 12:50 AM
TJT
Rock God

I'm in MyGig hell right now. After a lot of patience I was able to find a unit out of an 09 Ram for $900 shipped with the GPS antenna. Dont waste your money on anything older, the Ipod integration on 09+ is the best. Bought the Ipod harness from a member here for $100, then the Lockpick with audio/visual harness for $200 from ebay (look for mrcd1). Picked up my rear view camera from tvandnav2go.com for $100.

Everything works great except I still haven't been successful getting the right mic setup.

First attempt: Bought a harness to connect a dual microphone and dimming power mirror from a dodge Nitro. Bought the harness from MrCD1 for $120. However, I put the cart before the horse and was not able to find the mirror I need for less than $350. So scratched that idea. Not worth it.

Second attempt: Bought the mic and a pillar piece for the 2010's. Then to find out that the mic's cord is about 4 ft short of reaching the radio and the connectors don't match, so I cant just solder some extensions on.

After talking with my local parts guy, he sold me a harness that connects the mic to the OEM Vehicle BUS harness ($8). However after I recieved the harness, it too is way too short. Apparently Jeep includes an extension from their original factory harness that extends to the driver's side of the dash. Well I have an '09, so its not there.

So now I am limited to buying a different mic that plugs into the middle 10pin slot on the radio. Which in my case goes into the Ipod harness, that piggybacks that slot. Found two options this evening. One from coastaltech for $20, or the MOPAR "MyGig Navigation Radio Microphone kit."

That should get the uConnect and Voice Commands setup.

I'm still really happy with my choice on using the MyGig over the Kenwood option I was going to get. Just bugs me I haven't got it completely done.

Down the road I plan to hook up the Rear Seat Entertainment (VES) portion of the MyGig. I really don't like the idea of having monitors in the headrests, too much attention so I would like to go with a monitor that I can put in only when I need it.

Trouble is finding useful information from various forums that information is scattered across. Listening to speculation and wrong info has cost me a couple hundred bucks. When adding these things, MOPAR or aftermarket, you're totally on your own. Lots of dead ends and "not sure" answers. The MyGig forums are not really up to date and mostly just answers to the basics are there. Also, there isn't really anything out there to tell you what 2007-2011 have behind the dash and their differences.

The meat and potatoes of the MyGig are plug and play. Initial setup is very easy, takes 10 minutes. The really good features that set it apart are a little more difficult.

When I get settled on a mic setup, I will start a writeup to my current progress and update as I go. It will save some people a lot of time and money by avoiding my mistakes.

Specific to your questions:
Is there anything I need to know about installing a mygig unit?
-- The basics are easy to figure out. Youll need the unit a sat antenna if you dont already have one and the GPS antenna.

Do I need to go to the dealer and have anything flashed?
-- Depends on what you get the unit from. If it is from a model that already has features unlocked, no. If they aren't showing up, then yes.

Any downsides to installing one?
-- Nope, other than getting the right parts for what your trying to accomplish

How do I figure out if I need a high or low speed?
-- All wranglers are high speed. Other models vary by year, so be sure of what your buying.

Are there any better options for the same money?
-- Yes and no. The Kenwood unit I wanted was big $$, there's a lot of options. The infinity speakers are plenty for me, so I didn't want to get into amps resistors, capacitors, new speakers, etc.

Last edited by TJT; 10-05-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 AM
TJT
Rock God

Also, what you want is a Nav unit from an 09 or newer Wrangler, Liberty, Nitro, Ram or Minivan.

Some really good links for info:
http://www.wkjeeps.com/MyGIG_parts.htm
http://www.mofv.com/mygig/
http://www.coastaletech.com/
post #5 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Granite Guru

I just did a used RER install this past weekend

I bought the head unit and this:
  • Lockpick
  • Satellie receiver for the nav
  • Microphone (for Bluetooth hands-free)
  • Backup camera (w/ night vision)
  • iPod control cable

TJT speaks wisely and has answered most of your questions. It was worth it to me because literally everything but the Backup Camera was Plug-and-Play. I'll add a baby cam as well later.

Would I do it again? Dunno. The only thing which impressed me was how it all snapped together. Install was really a breeze. However, I'm not impressed by the RER... nearly everything about the head unit is unrefined. BMW and Audi had far, far superior graphics/menu systems 5 years ago. As much as I paid to get some great features, it still looks cheap, and that bothers me.

My 2 cents, make change as necessary.

2010 Unlimited Preferred Package: Manual EVERYTHING
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 04:56 AM
Granite Guru

Oh, and TJT: I used the MOPAR microphone in the location specified (A-pillar, coming right out of the hole) and it worked. I got a phone call with the top down and, while the caller complained later of "a lot of break-up", I could successfully talk to him while driving at 40mph topless... can't get much better than that!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 05:08 AM
TJT
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromantix View Post
TJT speaks wisely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromantix View Post
Oh, and TJT: I used the MOPAR microphone in the location specified (A-pillar, coming right out of the hole) and it worked. I got a phone call with the top down and, while the caller complained later of "a lot of break-up", I could successfully talk to him while driving at 40mph topless... can't get much better than that!
Sure, rub it in... So where did you find the plugin for the mic? Was it over close to the pillar behind the dash panel? Easy to spot? Since uConnect wasnt available in '09 I dont have one there.

I hope I can find some way to lengthen the mic and relay it into the 10pin myself. I hate the thought of a useless mic up there.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to 08RubiUnlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
Second attempt: Bought the mic and a pillar piece for the 2010's. Then to find out that the mic's cord is about 4 ft short of reaching the radio and the connectors don't match, so I cant just solder some extensions on.

After talking with my local parts guy, he sold me a harness that connects the mic to the OEM Vehicle BUS harness ($8). However after I recieved the harness, it too is way too short. Apparently Jeep includes an extension from their original factory harness that extends to the driver's side of the dash. Well I have an '09, so its not there.

When I get settled on a mic setup, I will start a writeup to my current progress and update as I go. It will save some people a lot of time and money by avoiding my mistakes.
Hey, if you want the 2010 mic, do what I did. I got the Mopar stick on mic kit that has plenty of wire and the right plugs for the MyGig. I ran the wire up to the pillar area. Then I took it apart and removed the mic board and wire from the case. Next I took the 2010 mic apart and removed it's board and wire as well. Finally, I put the guts from the Mopar stoick on mic into the 2010 mic housing, put it all back together, and it works just fine, looks factory too.

Here's a link to my writeup:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22125

Last edited by 08RubiUnlimited; 10-05-2010 at 08:04 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Since uConnect wasnt available in '09 I dont have one there.
That's it: my RER came out of a 2010 Wrangler into a 2010 Wrangler. Sorry, don't have any expertise to help you.

post #10 of 16 Old 10-15-2010, 02:27 AM
TJT
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited View Post
Hey, if you want the 2010 mic, do what I did. I got the Mopar stick on mic kit that has plenty of wire and the right plugs for the MyGig. I ran the wire up to the pillar area. Then I took it apart and removed the mic board and wire from the case. Next I took the 2010 mic apart and removed it's board and wire as well. Finally, I put the guts from the Mopar stoick on mic into the 2010 mic housing, put it all back together, and it works just fine, looks factory too.

Here's a link to my writeup:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22125
Done, and done...

Used the harness (not the mic) from the MOPAR Mygig Microphone Kit and just wired it to the mic I previously bought. (I found the 3-pins are the same from right to left, just different connectors.) Very happy with the results, and more happy that I'm done with this mod after having the mic sitting up there for 8 months.

Last edited by TJT; 10-15-2010 at 02:35 AM.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-15-2010, 03:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Done, and done...
Noice!

Very clean looking... makes me jealous.

post #12 of 16 Old 12-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Also, what you want is a Nav unit from an 09 or newer Wrangler, Liberty, Nitro, Ram or Minivan.

Some really good links for info:
http://www.wkjeeps.com/MyGIG_parts.htm
http://www.mofv.com/mygig/
http://www.coastaletech.com/
Thx for the coastaltech link!
post #13 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 02:36 AM
Wheeler

Is it really plug and play? Even for a 2nd hand unit?

I am looking to buy one which had been fitted to another Chrysler model (still high speed bus), but need to know if I need to enter any security codes to get it to work in my Jeep?

I have checked and it will come with mic and gps, although no instruction book (no problem since I can download one from Jeep).

post #14 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanidea View Post
Is it really plug and play? Even for a 2nd hand unit?

I am looking to buy one which had been fitted to another Chrysler model (still high speed bus), but need to know if I need to enter any security codes to get it to work in my Jeep?

I have checked and it will come with mic and gps, although no instruction book (no problem since I can download one from Jeep).
You can use any high speed mygig regardless of what the original vehicle was.

Who are you buying it from? If you are buying it from a person then you will most likely have to take it to a Jeep dealership to get the code from them.

If you are buying it from a retailer like www.oemautopartsco.com then they are programmed to fit any jeep.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I just did this mod and I can seem to set it up? What am I missing?
post #16 of 16 Old 05-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Nevermind..........

Last edited by CarmanJK; 05-07-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode