High beams= no fog lights?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

High beams= no fog lights??

Why do my factory fogs turn off when I hit the high beams? Is there a way around this? It's like my old chevy that the lows would turn off when the highs went on.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to sickchilly Send a message via Skype™ to sickchilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopher View Post
Why do my factory fogs turn off when I hit the high beams? Is there a way around this? It's like my old chevy that the lows would turn off when the highs went on.
US law. Manual wiring with a relay triggered by the high beams is about the only plausible way to get them both on.

2007 Jeep Green Rubicon 4-door with various bits 'n pieces... broken in but not even finished!
post #3 of 28 Old 10-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to LS6TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post
US law. Manual wiring with a relay triggered by the high beams is about the only plausible way to get them both on.
is it US or by state? I know in texas its no more tan 4 lights on at a time (heads fogs and spots for example), id be curious if it is the same with highs and another light set
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 10-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6TT View Post
is it US or by state? I know in texas its no more tan 4 lights on at a time (heads fogs and spots for example), id be curious if it is the same with highs and another light set
DOT

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #5 of 28 Old 10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

Why would you want to have both on?

If you need long-distance lighting, then any light in the foreground is going to reduce your visibility of objects at a distance. I usually lower my lights inside the Jeep and turn off the fogs when going long-distance to preserve good visibility at far distances.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #6 of 28 Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Back when i was stock and had stock foglights i absolutely hated the fact that i couldnt run my fogs and highs at the same time.

And taxman, thats all well and good, but at least in my jeep with the highs on you cant see ANYTHIng for 50 feet in front of you. If something ran out in front of you you wouldnt even notice. Its like driving into a perpetual black hole. For this reason i almost never use my highs.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #7 of 28 Old 10-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Rock God

Well they are FOG lights. In foggy conditions you cannot use highbeams anyway. I put auxilary lights powered through the highbeam switch, to compensate for the poor highbeams.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #8 of 28 Old 10-04-2010, 05:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Why would you want to have both on?

If you need long-distance lighting, then any light in the foreground is going to reduce your visibility of objects at a distance. I usually lower my lights inside the Jeep and turn off the fogs when going long-distance to preserve good visibility at far distances.
I have my HID aux lights hooked to the factory fog wiring (factory fogs are gone). I don't want another switch, so I'm curious as to how to get highs and "fogs" too

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 28 Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

My very first modification was the Cibie conversion with Daniel Stern (actually, they're Wipac, not Cibie, but same idea). I had them on my TJ and loved them so much, I couldn't live without them. I don't think my JK had 100 miles when I tossed my stock headlights in the trash.

Since I actually have functional and excellent driving lights and high beams, I've always used my high beams for just that - driving fast at highway speeds when you need to illuminate objects that are 100+ ft in front of you since you'll be there in less than a second. I've always had excellent fogs - I did the HID fog light conversion to 3000k lights and my fogs are excellent. I only run my fogs and only my fogs when in foggy or snowy conditions.

If travelling at moderate speeds (not quite crawling, but not quite highway speeds) and the conditions are NOT foggy or snowy and you feel the need to illuminate everything from 5 feet in front of the Jeep to 200+ feet in front of the Jeep, I recommend you purchase an auxiliary light bar and install 3 or 4 auxiliary lights. One or two spots for extremely long distances and another set of fog or wide lights for nearby objects. That should light up the world.

Otherwise, the stock fogs in conjunction with your high beams isn't really going to accomplish much unless you've upgraded one or both of the light sets. You'll end up with really bright objects 5 feet in front of you and really bright objects 100 feet away and a really dark area in between.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #10 of 28 Old 10-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

The dealer can do this with the StarScan:

starscan main menu > vehicle preparation > enable fog lamp output > disable > next/finish > enable >export > next/finish

or

starscan main menu > ECU view > FCM/CGW > misc. functions > enable front fog lamp output > start > next > disable > next > cancel > start > next > enable > next > export > next > finish.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #11 of 28 Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Rock God

In some states, like MA, it is illegal to have fog lights on unless it is bad weathewr or fog conditions. And in the cities it is illegal to run high beams at any time since the streets are well lit.

When I crossed into NH, one time I tested my KC 100W off road lights. Those suckers lit up the road for at least a half mile ahead of me.
post #12 of 28 Old 10-05-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Guruman- That's awesome, wonder what they will charge to make the change
Taxman- I like to have as much as light as safely possible. I drive a new 4 lane at night, not street lights, with little traffic. Speed limit is 65 and at that speed high beams allow you to see where you are about to be (in a second or so) but there is that pile of darkness until about 50 ft off the bumper. My factory fogs are aimed low and give good coverage to that first 20-30 off the bumper. I could add more lights, but rather use the ones i have to their full potential first.

Speaking of which, what is the story with the susquehanna head light upgrade, i don't understand their site? I know people complain about the VVUE ones because of the stock housing not focusing the light properly.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #13 of 28 Old 10-05-2010, 11:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Back when i was stock and had stock foglights i absolutely hated the fact that i couldnt run my fogs and highs at the same time.

And taxman, thats all well and good, but at least in my jeep with the highs on you cant see ANYTHIng for 50 feet in front of you. If something ran out in front of you you wouldnt even notice. Its like driving into a perpetual black hole. For this reason i almost never use my highs.
Considering it takes stock Jeeps 217 ft to stop from 70 MPH, you wouldn't have to worry about your black hole because you're hitting anything in your path anyway. Also, this is why we get high powered, ballast-fueled, sun-rivaling driving lights to take care of what our weak high beams and dispersant fogs can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #14 of 28 Old 10-07-2010, 04:34 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgutz View Post
In some states, like MA, it is illegal to have fog lights on unless it is bad weathewr or fog conditions. And in the cities it is illegal to run high beams at any time since the streets are well lit.

When I crossed into NH, one time I tested my KC 100W off road lights. Those suckers lit up the road for at least a half mile ahead of me.
I'm just curious about those states that require fogs only in foul weather. Just what conditions define said foul weather. And how would I ,as a regular guy, be able to define the limits of those conditions.

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
post #15 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 10:46 PM

Fog Lights

I am pretty sure that any time it's raining, snowing, foggy or even over cast you could use them.

As for the head lights issue, I replaced my lights with IPF 920H4 and I love them. They are twice as bright, and twice as clear as the stock lights.

"Jeep's are not bought, they're built!"
post #16 of 28 Old 10-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Granite Guru

I agree I use my fogs all the time the factory lights in the dim position SUCK and that is an under statement. yet when I do and on the Highway oncoming think I have my brights on and flash me that is when I hit them with the full blown offroad lights.

07 2dr 35s 3.5 spring lift,rear 4.5 front 488s winch, TnTfront stinger bumper,flow master exhaust.
post #17 of 28 Old 10-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara mist View Post
I agree I use my fogs all the time the factory lights in the dim position SUCK and that is an under statement. yet when I do and on the Highway oncoming think I have my brights on and flash me that is when I hit them with the full blown offroad lights.
Yup.

post #18 of 28 Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Rock God

Good luck getting a dealer to enable the fogs with high beams. (Personally, I don't see the advantage of having them both on.)
I agree the whole JK lighting system is pisspoor.
post #19 of 28 Old 10-17-2010, 10:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Considering it takes stock Jeeps 217 ft to stop from 70 MPH, you wouldn't have to worry about your black hole because you're hitting anything in your path anyway. Also, this is why we get high powered, ballast-fueled, sun-rivaling driving lights to take care of what our weak high beams and dispersant fogs can't.
Who said i have to stop? I can turn and avoid.

Either way the point is high beams and fogs is a more comfortable way for most of us to drive. Those of you with your advanced lighting mentalities are not helping us simple folk who like light.
Personally whenever im driving and alone on the road i have my low beams on, with my windshield lights on and 55 watt bumper lights as well.
I like being able to see.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #20 of 28 Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Who said i have to stop? I can turn and avoid.

Either way the point is high beams and fogs is a more comfortable way for most of us to drive. Those of you with your advanced lighting mentalities are not helping us simple folk who like light.
Personally whenever im driving and alone on the road i have my low beams on, with my windshield lights on and 55 watt bumper lights as well.
I like being able to see.
I agree. We all know that hig beams do not work in foggy conditions. And, we all know that we are supposed to dim our lights when approaching traffic. The people who are intrested in this mod are simply wanting to put more light on the road. And, untill you approach the point of DAYLIGHT, you simply can not add to much. OK, so you say that "it's the law". Well does anybody here remember the "Blue Law". I do. And I'm glad it's gone.

"The Green Monster"
on
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
post #21 of 28 Old 10-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Wheeler

Can't you "re-program" using a superchip to allow fog & high beams?

JK-AJ

Rock Krawler, RK D/Link Flip, RK HD Tie Rod, RK RRD Shocks, Nemesis Shock Relocation, Artec Truss, 315 DuraTrac's, LoD Mid Front & LoD Stubby Rear, Warn HP PowerPlant, Superchip, G2 Diff Covers
post #22 of 28 Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Rock God

These are on separate wiring circuits. I didn't read the whole thread, but you are only allowed 4 lights on nationwide last I heard. High beams are actually 2 sets of lights. If you had the fogs on too that would be six lights. High beams are useless anyway. Dont mess with the factory set up, just buy a set of pencil beams and slap em on. Wire them as you wish. I have mine so they only come on if the ignition is on, but after that I can blind the hell out of you if you flash me!

RubiRed Unlimited

ARB bumpers
Superwinch 9.0i
3.5" AEV premium lift
35" KM2s, OR-Fab tire carrier
Viair on board air
post #23 of 28 Old 10-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gint2 View Post
Can't you "re-program" using a superchip to allow fog & high beams?
I have heard that Euro models allow fogs with highs. So, if you can get flashed to Euro code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiRed Unlimited View Post
These are on separate wiring circuits. I didn't read the whole thread, but you are only allowed 4 lights on nationwide last I heard. High beams are actually 2 sets of lights. If you had the fogs on too that would be six lights. High beams are useless anyway. Dont mess with the factory set up, just buy a set of pencil beams and slap em on. Wire them as you wish. I have mine so they only come on if the ignition is on, but after that I can blind the hell out of you if you flash me!
I have also read that a total of 4 beams are allowed. But I do not think that high beams count as all 4 beams. At least not on our jeeps. Older model vehicles used to have 2 sets of headlights. One set for lows. And one set for highs. And, when you turn on the highs, the lows stayed on. My research leads me to believe that you are allowed one set of highs and another set of high or lows. That is just for the high side. On the low side, you are allowed one set of lows and another set of lows or fogs. Some people clasify fogs as lows.

"The Green Monster"
on
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod

Last edited by JK-Ford; 10-22-2010 at 08:38 AM.
post #24 of 28 Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Rock God

Fog light on with low beams. Driving Lights on with high beams. Two different beam pattern.
When I wired up lights in my YJ, i tied the relay in the ACC line, not the high or low beam line. That way I could switch them however I wanted.
And of some a-hole flipped there high beams at me thinking my lows were high, I' flip my 100W daylighters at them.
post #25 of 28 Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgutz View Post
Fog light on with low beams. Driving Lights on with high beams. Two different beam pattern.
When I wired up lights in my YJ, i tied the relay in the ACC line, not the high or low beam line. That way I could switch them however I wanted.
And of some a-hole flipped there high beams at me thinking my lows were high, I' flip my 100W daylighters at them.
Two diffrent beam patterns is exactly the point. Gives you better coverage. Why would you want to use the same beam pattern twice? How you switch them should be personal preference. I have my lights switched both ways. Automaticaly with high beams. Or manual with low beams. So, if you bright light me, you get the full effect with one throw of the switch. How you use your lights should be personal pref also. If you want to use fogs with high beams, then why not. Two diffrent patterns = better light coverage. Just simply go back to dim for head-on traffic.

"The Green Monster"
on
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode