Electronic Throttle Control - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shu2kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-07-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Electronic Throttle Control

Hey. Last weekend, while driving my 07 wrangler on a dirt road, i got the Electronic Throttle Control flashing, and the Swerving Car light as well, and the jeep got into limp mode. It was stalling, and pushing the gas pedal did nothing. I thought it could be a sensor, and when I looked under the hood, i found these 2 plugs loose and dangling (pictured)...

So i put them back in place, and that fixed the problem for the day... I drove all week without a problem...

Yesterday, while on a dirt road again, the same issue happened... so I went and checked on the plugs, and they were in their place. I just moved them a little, and that fixed the problem for about an hour. Then, it began happening every 5 minutes or so, I would have to move the plugs to fix the issue. Simply turning the jeep off and on wouldnt work, but as soon as i moved the plugs, i would be able to drive for a while. I finally got home.

Today in the morning, as I started the jeep, the lamps were ON. So I did a deeper inspection on the plugs, and i found out the lower one had the locking mechanism broken. The small pins that should secure it were broken. So, I used a couple zip ties and drove to work without a problem.

On my way back to home from work today, the lamps came ON again. I moved them a bit, and again, that fixed the problem for a while. But it was getting worse each time, and i ended up driving the last 5 minutes with the lamps ON and at idle speed.

So, I want to know, what could be the possible cause? The plug seems to be tight, I dont know if it can be replaced without splicing a lot of wires...

Or should I be looking somewhere else?? I found some posts about it being the conector at the gas pedal, or cleaning the throttle body, which i did about 6 months ago.

I am pretty sure the problem is the loose plug, but I would like some insight on this.

Thank you!
Attached Images

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-07-2018, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

man.
while it might be useless in relation to actuially fixing whatever the issue is, I gotta ask if you have any possible enemies or have been to a service center where someone coulda messed with those harness connectors because those are not easy to remove nor does that gray clasp just break, to my knowledge.
Did you change them or maybe wash the engine bay out with a power washer or something? It is long shot but MAYBE heat form a cracked exhaust manifold might heat destroy and cause one to weaken but it'd be a first I have heard of that happening., That area does get really really hot right there, fwiw.

pretty odd occurance from one 3.8l owner to another. Did you clean and dielectric grease the contacts on those and REALLY cinch the zip ties down. It could cause all manner of pandemonium with those having intermittent connectivity; IOWs , there is a reason they are clamped shut like that.

CRC-2-26 is plastic safe, electrical contact lubricant avail for like $3.00 per can at Home Depot or Amazon. I would clean the heck outta those and make darn sure they were clamped together with a very taught ( pliers) zip tie that is mil-spec. Blow the contacts clean first with high pressure air. Lube and reassemble with battery disconnected. Once re-connected and locked together , reset the ECU with the negative touching positive battery leads for 30 secs and then re-connect battery.

JK/JKUs have gorsh-awfully sensitive electrical systems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-07-2018 at 06:48 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-07-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx for your reply!!

I have not had any service done to the jeep recently. I am not the original owner though, but I purchased the jeep 3 years ago and so far it had been great. Neither have I had the engine bay washed or anything...

today I stopped by a mechanic shop, and they told me the TPS plug was loose... it also had the harness conectors broken... so I used more zip ties to put it in place... it seemed to be inserted there tight, but i secured it with zip ties... i read somewhere that the wires are just pushed in there and sometimes they get loose, so i may try pushing them back to the conector...

i did tighten the zip ties, but i did not use dielectric grease... and they looked pretty clean, so i didnt clean them, just secure them in place... same for the tps plug...

i will also check my battery, as I read sometimes that is the cause of these problems... it was replaced last year i believe, but its worth a shot...

i also read sometimes the engine coolant temp sensor could be the issue...

when the problem started, i noticed it always happened during a bump (at first it only happened on dirt roads), thats why i tought it was a loose plug... but now it happens always...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-08-2018, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post
thanx for your reply!!

I have not had any service done to the jeep recently. I am not the original owner though, but I purchased the jeep 3 years ago and so far it had been great. Neither have I had the engine bay washed or anything...

today I stopped by a mechanic shop, and they told me the TPS plug was loose... it also had the harness conectors broken... so I used more zip ties to put it in place... it seemed to be inserted there tight, but i secured it with zip ties... i read somewhere that the wires are just pushed in there and sometimes they get loose, so i may try pushing them back to the conector...

i did tighten the zip ties, but i did not use dielectric grease... and they looked pretty clean, so i didnt clean them, just secure them in place... same for the tps plug...

i will also check my battery, as I read sometimes that is the cause of these problems... it was replaced last year i believe, but its worth a shot...

i also read sometimes the engine coolant temp sensor could be the issue...

when the problem started, i noticed it always happened during a bump (at first it only happened on dirt roads), thats why i tought it was a loose plug... but now it happens always...
the battery clamps from factory are pretty weak and can be improved . At least take one of those cheap battery post cleaners and reamers ( or sandpaper) to refresh the contact areas of battery posts and clamps. The clamps can crack over time resulting in a bad intermittent connection and could absolutely cause your bump scenario. Also ensure new battery was secured welll.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-09-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I had already changed the battery clamps. They are secured and tight.

Today i went to Autozone to have it scanned. I got P0344 code, which is camshaft postion sensor intermitent.

A while ago, i had P0344 and P0340, and the reason was a bad camshaft sensor. The symptoms were different though, it would take a lot of time to start, and the revs would stay at 2000 even while downhill without stepping on the gas pedal... and that time i got the serving car light, but not the red lightning bolt...

So, should I replace the sensor?? its only a $30 part, but i replaced it last November...

post #6 of 10 Old 05-11-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

well, i think i have found the issue....

we traced the wires of the harness, and found a wire was peeled and grounding... i am guessing it peeled because of the rubbing, as the plug was loose and dangling aroung all the place.... so we taped the wire, put wire loom on all of them, and secured the plugs... i have only driven for about an hour, but so far so good... and that would explain why the problem was fixed when i moved around the plug, and then on the next bump it would appear again...

hope this helps someone with the same problem, as i have read a lot of threads regarding this, specially on 07-09 jeeps...
Texas_Jester likes this.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-11-2018, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post
well, i think i have found the issue....

we traced the wires of the harness, and found a wire was peeled and grounding... i am guessing it peeled because of the rubbing, as the plug was loose and dangling aroung all the place.... so we taped the wire, put wire loom on all of them, and secured the plugs... i have only driven for about an hour, but so far so good... and that would explain why the problem was fixed when i moved around the plug, and then on the next bump it would appear again...

hope this helps someone with the same problem, as i have read a lot of threads regarding this, specially on 07-09 jeeps...
Hey, that is cool ya got it knocked-out.

The 07 -11 for sure has known issue[s] with the wires & looms back between battery & the top of the intake are. I read on here way back when I first got it about someone's rubbing a vacuum line back there or heat got a wiring harness from the very reason you mentioned. I wrapped all mine double or in Heatshield Products heat reflective tape on all the hard plastic hoses ,then double loom on all the other junk/electric.
One of the heater tubes or a vacuum back there sits atop some other one & can rub thru, iirc

forify that thing and thnks for sharin the info

edit: but what disconnected or broke that gray locking clasp on the connector ?

post #8 of 10 Old 05-15-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

now that you mention, i have been having the P0440 code for about 2 years... i simply gave up on fixing it... and now while inspecting the wires, we found a cracked vacuum line.... we replaced it, and so far the code has not appeared, so i guess we fixed that one as well...

and regarding the broken conector, it will remain a mistery how it broke...

post #9 of 10 Old 05-15-2018, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

understood + glad you got some stuff rectified.

It's pretty mind-boggling how sometimes the seemingly simplest,most obscure little thing is able to really wonk-out one of these modern Jeeps, huh?

post #10 of 10 Old 05-22-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i know!!

my previous jeep was a 92 YJ, and i rarely had any issue with it... these modern jeeps have too many sensors and hi-tech for my liking...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode