Anybody know what this is? Next to OBD port - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 2 Post By White13JKUR
  • 1 Post By JeepnPokey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-02-2018, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Anybody know what this is? Next to OBD port

This ďportĒ has been on my JK sense I bought it in 2012. Iím the second owner, Iíve noticed it before but never paid any attention to it. I just found it has two black wires from it that run over to the TIPM and go under it. I have no clue what it is maybe someone could shred some light.
Attached Images

OIF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-02-2018, 05:26 AM
Rock God

Garage

Socket for a removable brake controller? Do you have a 7-pin trailer connector?

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #3 of 12 Old 05-02-2018, 05:43 AM
Granite Guru

Brake controller only needs 4wires. My guess is a anti theft or a add on that companies use when people finance when they have bad credit.

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
Brake controller only needs 4wires. My guess is a anti theft or a add on that companies use when people finance when they have bad credit.

I think he was talking about where the trailer plugs in to the Jeep.
7 pin would have the extra wires for electric breaks.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-02-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I was thinking alarm system. But to take the guess work out of it, I'm going to take it somewhere like an audio shop as someone suggested and see if they can tell me.

OIF
post #6 of 12 Old 05-03-2018, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnPokey View Post
This ďportĒ has been on my JK sense I bought it in 2012. Iím the second owner, Iíve noticed it before but never paid any attention to it. I just found it has two black wires from it that run over to the TIPM and go under it. I have no clue what it is maybe someone could shred some light.
could it be the PO had an aftermarket ERM* installed ?

(*electronic rodent mitigation)

@StubEXrube could use something like that ....

(Iím gonna go with some kinda monitoring display for system settings or maybe some additional camper lighting or audio or entertainment connector...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-03-2018, 06:07 AM
Rock God

Insurance companies use these to monitor your driving habits for discounts , typically they were just plugged into the OBD port , but some were tapped into this type of port so as not to block the OBD for service reasons .

I have never seen that type before personally but I'm aware they exist .
Another Tech said that that particular type has an anti-tamper feature to keep the client honest .

FWIW an insurance company worried about honesty is laughable at best .
post #8 of 12 Old 05-03-2018, 09:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
Yeah, that's a dealer installed profit maker that the finance person sells you for way too much.

There is a little circuit board inside of that slot that you dig out. They try to sell you a circuit board with a key fob on it for ~$372.94. It's not even a "circuit board" in the sense that you are thinking either. No IC chips, capacitors or resistors. Just jumprs that are etched out on the copper traces.

Sometimes dealers get this junk on dealer trade from another dealer. There are dealers out there who install this crap at the time the new car is PDI'd. and then just try to sell you the crap key fob when you are "in the booth" (AKA finance office). They leave the crap on the car whether you are naive enough to buy the key fob or not.

Just trace all the wires and remove it. They probably had to splice it in somewhere and you may need to do a minor wire repair. It should be just two wires where they interrupted one of the circuits, like ignition system or fuel pump power feed. Hard to know how the PDI monkey wired it in.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 05-03-2018 at 09:36 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-03-2018, 09:29 AM
JKO Addict!

I googled "dealer installed anti theft device" and found this immediately. This is what I am talking about. Look at the pictures attached to the first post in this thread on a Honda civic forum.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...91/#post770752

Remove it.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
I googled "dealer installed anti theft device" and found this immediately. This is what I am talking about. Look at the pictures attached to the first post in this thread on a Honda civic forum.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...91/#post770752

Remove it.
You trolling Honda civic forums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-03-2018, 11:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Not yet. Not even a "lurker" - yet. That was the first hit on a search but I knew what I was looking for. I am completely guilt of trolling the Honda Odyssey forum, though, because I have one of those in the stable. Grandma is driving around in a Civic that is about due for a timing belt so I'll be doing that and may troll the Civic forums if I need to.

Anyway, not averse to Hondas since I am a long since retired factory trained Mazda / Subaru master tech that has removed more than one of these crap anti theft / max dealer profit devices, even on my own personal NEW car that came in as a dealer trade. I still have vague recollection of a car coming into the shop pushing a tow truck where the circuit board shifted and broke contact and the customer never bought the key and had no clue the device existed.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-03-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post

He was looking for JKCTAZ on the Honda/ Nissan forums which ever one he got.... ever sense he traded his JK up for the ricer.

Good info everyone has provided bottom line is that thing is getting yanked out.

OIF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode