Lights and power - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
07unlimitedx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary Alberta
Age: 49
Posts: 2,286
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews
Lights and power

Hi All,

I have a question about some lights. Question is if I have 2 lights that are rated at 9 - 60 Volts, have them hooked up to one 12v/30 watt relay. Am I getting the full output of these lights? Would I be better having 2 12v/40 watt relays, one for each light?

Thanks for the responses.

Steve

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07unlimitedx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
07unlimitedx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary Alberta
Age: 49
Posts: 2,286
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Bump... wondering if there are any electrical pros here?

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07unlimitedx is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 09-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cabot, AR.
Age: 56
Posts: 126
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
Hi All,

I have a question about some lights. Question is if I have 2 lights that are rated at 9 - 60 Volts, have them hooked up to one 12v/30 watt relay. Am I getting the full output of these lights? Would I be better having 2 12v/40 watt relays, one for each light?

Thanks for the responses.

Steve
Usualy when you have a selectable input like you have described, you will find one of two methods for supply connections. 1) Multiple wires to choose from depending on the supply voltage. 2) Autoranging electronics built into the equipment that will automaticaly adjust to what ever voltage that you select. Either way, Your output SHOULD be consistant accross the entire input range. Now, as far as how to wire these thing up? You have not supplied enough information to determin the load. The basic formula is:Amps multiply by Volts = Watts. You have only supplied "Volts". You need to supply one more variable to be able to calculate. Once that you have determined the load. Then you can determine relay size, wire size and fuse size. Adding extra relays will not help.

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
JK-Ford is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 09-29-2010, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
07unlimitedx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary Alberta
Age: 49
Posts: 2,286
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-Ford View Post
Usualy when you have a selectable input like you have described, you will find one of two methods for supply connections. 1) Multiple wires to choose from depending on the supply voltage. 2) Autoranging electronics built into the equipment that will automaticaly adjust to what ever voltage that you select. Either way, Your output SHOULD be consistant accross the entire input range. Now, as far as how to wire these thing up? You have not supplied enough information to determin the load. The basic formula is:Amps multiply by Volts = Watts. You have only supplied "Volts". You need to supply one more variable to be able to calculate. Once that you have determined the load. Then you can determine relay size, wire size and fuse size. Adding extra relays will not help.
Thanks, that's all I was looking for.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07unlimitedx is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 10-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Age: 67
Posts: 52
Feedback: 1 reviews
Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
Thanks, that's all I was looking for.
The info needed is there to figure what load his relay will handle. He makes no mention of the watts of the lamps. If it is say a 100 watt light at 12 volts it pulls 8.5 amps. One of these lamps on a 30 amp relay are no load for it at all. We need to confirm if the relay is 30 amps or 30 watts. My guess his light does not put out full output until the highest voltage allowed. Divide watts by volts = amps. I think he means he has it hooked to one 12 volt 30 amp relay. I have never seen a relay rated by watts. If it is truely a 30 watt relay, then 30/12 = approximately 2.5 amps rating on the relay. Not likely the relay is rated this small.
grady is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
07unlimitedx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary Alberta
Age: 49
Posts: 2,286
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady View Post
The info needed is there to figure what load his relay will handle. He makes no mention of the watts of the lamps. If it is say a 100 watt light at 12 volts it pulls 8.5 amps. One of these lamps on a 30 amp relay are no load for it at all. We need to confirm if the relay is 30 amps or 30 watts. My guess his light does not put out full output until the highest voltage allowed. Divide watts by volts = amps. I think he means he has it hooked to one 12 volt 30 amp relay. I have never seen a relay rated by watts. If it is truely a 30 watt relay, then 30/12 = approximately 2.5 amps rating on the relay. Not likely the relay is rated this small.
I'm running LED's... the maximum draw with the 2 lights will be 4 amps per light. Would this make a difference?

Thanks

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07unlimitedx is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 10-07-2010, 05:42 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cabot, AR.
Age: 56
Posts: 126
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady View Post
The info needed is there to figure what load his relay will handle. He makes no mention of the watts of the lamps. If it is say a 100 watt light at 12 volts it pulls 8.5 amps. One of these lamps on a 30 amp relay are no load for it at all. We need to confirm if the relay is 30 amps or 30 watts. My guess his light does not put out full output until the highest voltage allowed. Divide watts by volts = amps. I think he means he has it hooked to one 12 volt 30 amp relay. I have never seen a relay rated by watts. If it is truely a 30 watt relay, then 30/12 = approximately 2.5 amps rating on the relay. Not likely the relay is rated this small.
If you are considering a standard lamp, then your assumption would be correct. But then the output would be very low at the small end of the scale. And very high at the large end of the scale. Why would anyone want that. ? As I stated earlier, Most ( not all but most ) gear with selectible inputs have some type of package to maintain a constant output no mater what input is selected. Since the OP has only provided us with ( 1 ) specific output. My GUESS! would be that you may be partially correct. Since he only states "Max Amps". That would mean that his wattage would vary accross the input range. But, without this new information. There would be no reason to consider such things as: wire size, fuse size or RELAY SIZE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
I'm running LED's... the maximum draw with the 2 lights will be 4 amps per light. Would this make a difference?

Thanks
Yes. Now you have all the information to design an instalation for this gear. And since they gave you the information in total amps. This means that you do not need to do any of the load calculations to find this information.
So, Total Load = 2 lights @ 4 amps / light = 8 amps total load
Fuse size - 8 to 10 amps
Wire size - 18 awg ( or larger if you prefer )
Relay size - anything larger than 10 amps.
Have Fun!

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
JK-Ford is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 10-08-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
07unlimitedx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary Alberta
Age: 49
Posts: 2,286
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Thanks Guys... all hooked and nice and bright

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07unlimitedx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome