ESC Light Came on and Cancelled Cruise in strong Crosswind - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By Texas_Jester
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By gt1guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-02-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
ESC Light Came on and Cancelled Cruise in strong Crosswind

So I've searched on here and googled online and while I find some ESC light related articles I am not seeing my exact problem/issue and I guess I am hoping someone here can fill me in on how the ESC works and confirm what I am thinking or confirm I am thinking about this incorrectly.

So this past week, we took a long road trip and both coming and going encountered strong crosswinds, both times causing me to "countersteer" to the left to get my jeep to track straight down the highway. While doing this, with the cruise control on and running highway speeds of 70-75 mph, the ESC light would flash on and kick the CC off. As long as that light stayed on the CC functions were locked up and cruise would not work or function in any manner. Each time after I stopped and cycled the ignition switch, the ESC light would go out and CC would work fine again. Once I got out of the strong crosswinds everything has worked fine as well.

I had an alignment done about 2 weeks ago and jeep drives and handles great otherwise. Steering wheel does seem to be a hair off-center to the left as well (but not much at all), I will adjust this tonight. But other than counter-steering in those cross winds I have had no issues.

So my understanding is that ESC reads "wheel speed" and "steering angle". Would the "steering angle" from counter steering in a strong crosswind (like a 1/4 turn of the wheel) be so sensitive as to cause this?

Specs are: 2017 JKU on 37's that has been re-geared and tuner used to reset gear ratio and speedo, 3.6L with an auto transmission

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Simple answer, YEP.

You ever think about doing the switch to kill the ESP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-02-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Simple answer, YEP.

You ever think about doing the switch to kill the ESP?
Thanks and no I had not as this was the first time I have ever had it do this or had an issue with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-02-2018, 02:54 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

last Friday my esp light blinked a couple of times on the way but I know that my steering wheel is off 1/8. but not my daily so it stays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-02-2018, 08:14 PM
Granite Guru

I installed a switch to bypass this system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD
2007 JK Unlmited Rubicon --SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 JKUR Billet Silver-- SOLD
2016 JKUR White --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Granite Guru

Only problem with disabling the esp is your cruise control won't work. It a built in safety feature. I use my bully dog programmer to clear the code when it comes on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 Old 04-03-2018, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

as Gunny said; yup.

It doesn’t occur AS MUCH ( still can) if your steering wheel is perfectly centered of course because the slightly uncentered steering wheel is able to exacerbate a wind-sheer quick correction angle & do so abruptly which will set off the slip-traction bells and whistles and safety measures. Center the wheel and only gale force winds should cause this again. The kill switch is whatvmany of us have done ...

since they are so soccer-Mom adept , the four door JKs in particular will ride so well down the freeway at speed that it’s quite easy to get yourself to forget that, in essence, your driving something 75-80mph that’s as aerodynamic as your office trashcan so, yeah...wind shear susceptible doesn’t ever fully go away, heh
Texas_Jester likes this.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 04-03-2018 at 04:51 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-03-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

The funny thing is I switched the ESC Off button thinking this would overide it, but even with that turned off (like it does when you put it in 4 LO) the ESC light still came on and kicked the cruise out. That just seemed odd to me that it would still "work" even if it was manually turned off.

I did re-center the steering last night so I'll see what it does down the road. Since it was isolated to this trip its not been a problem up until now so I'll just play it by ear. Thanks for all the feedback.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-04-2018, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Jester View Post
The funny thing is I switched the ESC Off button thinking this would overide it, but even with that turned off (like it does when you put it in 4 LO) the ESC light still came on and kicked the cruise out. That just seemed odd to me that it would still "work" even if it was manually turned off.

I did re-center the steering last night so I'll see what it does down the road. Since it was isolated to this trip its not been a problem up until now so I'll just play it by ear. Thanks for all the feedback.
thats not how it works ; disabling via that button does not completely disable all of the anti-skid functions .

Texas_Jester likes this.

post #10 of 12 Old 04-04-2018, 06:43 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
thats not how it works ; disabling via that button does not completely disable all of the anti-skid functions .

Agree....that is why I did my mod to bypass everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD
2007 JK Unlmited Rubicon --SOLD

2013 JKUR Billet Silver-- SOLD
2016 JKUR White --
post #11 of 12 Old 04-04-2018, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

Well I do get that now, but logically it made no sense to me at the time.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-06-2018, 07:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Jester View Post
Well I do get that now, but logically it made no sense to me at the time.
Not a lot of the Jeep nanny shit makes sense, or is well executed. We've all heard the stories of someone taking an offramp a little too fast and the Jeep will try to send them off the road to "save" them.

I've had gusts of wind kick off the cruise many times and my steering wheel has always been perfectly straight.
Texas_Jester likes this.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode