6Likes
  • 3 Post By Marine01
  • 1 Post By mmilburn
  • 2 Post By mmilburn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-01-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Exclamation JK Traction Control Bypass

I have had a couple JK's starting in '07 and now my current 2016. While wheeling in low range with the traction control off (when you go to 4LOW it 'disables' it) It would still flash the car with the skid marks and cut power and even apply brakes on me. Obvioulsy, when climbing a muddy hill this is a problem as the Jeep kept cutting power on me and keeping me from keeping wheel speed up.

I started doing research and learned that I was not alone with the newer model years. When you go into 4LOW there are parts of the traction control and ABS system still 'on'. In fact for a while you could do a steering wheel dance to disable this 'feature' and make it go completely off. However for the 2016 and several years back this is no longer an option as the government requires this to not be disabled.

So, the point of this post is to show you what I did to add a toggle switch that allows the complete disable of all ABS / Traction control systems on the Jeep. You can flip the toggle switch and have it completely off at any speed (stock it will re-enable full traction control at 20MPH). I thing this is where I was getting in trouble as I was spinning the tires above 20MPH perhaps?

Anyway, here is my video on what I did and showing you how it works....this is a really easy mod and took me like 30 minutes once I had the stupid transfer case shifter knob off (what a pain).

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD
2007 JK Unlmited Rubicon --SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 JKUR Billet Silver-- SOLD
2016 JKUR White --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-01-2018, 07:12 PM

I had a similar problem in my 2012 and wired in the switch last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 04-01-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
I had a similar problem in my 2012 and wired in the switch last week.

Awesome, glad to hear I wasn't the only one seeing this... It had me confused because my last ones never did this to me!

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-01-2018, 07:29 PM

Also a quick tip for taking off the transfer case shifter,
you can run a racket strap to the shifter knob and then to one of the holes in the factory cage under the sound bar. and then ratchet it slowly with one hand on the shifter.

post #5 of 15 Old 04-03-2018, 05:59 AM
Granite Guru

Marine01 thanks for taking the time to show people what you did. Here is my experience.

I did not remove any plastic to do this on an 08. Found the loom behind the dash and left of the AC controls. I added a relay that is normally closed and a momentary push button on the dash behind the steering wheel under the lip. My wife could not even find the button but it is still easy to get to. The button energizes the relay and breaks the circuit. The next time you start the jeep it will be back to normal. There are also two blue and purple wires one is the air bag, be careful. They look similar but in fact are not.

Edit: you said that already in the video cheers
Marine01 likes this.

08 JKU
78 Fj-40
67 M715
47 CJ-2A

Last edited by mmilburn; 04-03-2018 at 06:03 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-08-2018, 10:12 PM

Am I correct in assuming this mod also turns off the hill descent control?
post #7 of 15 Old 04-09-2018, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokeassjeep View Post
that function is disabled until you restart the vehicle.

post #8 of 15 Old 04-09-2018, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilburn View Post
Marine01 thanks for taking the time to show people what you did. Here is my experience.

I did not remove any plastic to do this on an 08. Found the loom behind the dash and left of the AC controls. I added a relay that is normally closed and a momentary push button on the dash behind the steering wheel under the lip. My wife could not even find the button but it is still easy to get to. The button energizes the relay and breaks the circuit. The next time you start the jeep it will be back to normal. There are also two blue and purple wires one is the air bag, be careful. They look similar but in fact are not.

Edit: you said that already in the video cheers

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #9 of 15 Old 04-09-2018, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:

Yes, I believe so but have not confirmed yet

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #10 of 15 Old 04-09-2018, 09:12 AM

It stands to reason it does, was just curious as to how it behaves with everything cut out.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-10-2018, 08:58 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
It stands to reason it does, was just curious as to how it behaves with everything cut out.
It behaves like a 70's farm truck! It is just pure driver input.
Marine01 and j3ff3ry_j33p like this.

08 JKU
78 Fj-40
67 M715
47 CJ-2A
post #12 of 15 Old 04-11-2018, 03:56 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
Also a quick tip for taking off the transfer case shifter,
you can run a racket strap to the shifter knob and then to one of the holes in the factory cage under the sound bar. and then ratchet it slowly with one hand on the shifter.

Even easier is to take a strap wrench and put it on the knob and flex it left or right and the knob comes right off !

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #13 of 15 Old 02-16-2019, 03:55 PM

Does anyone know if in this wire loom there is an ignition controlled wire? The momentary PB that I have has a lighted ring around the button and would like to have it illuminated. I've got the traction control wired identified already.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-28-2019, 10:08 PM
Rock God

I used a switch that had the illuminated light ring also, but I believe that wire wasn't putting out enough juice to both illuminate the switch light and "act normally" so I had to disconnect the ground wire from the switch to avoid having the LED light ring work.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-01-2019, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

When I first got my unlimited JK new back in '11 , by evening of the 2nd night I'd pulled the J6 fuse out from under hood so I could drive without the bloody computer nannies. I did this for few months til I read about the killswitch solution the OP has reiterated for us herein. I flip ESC /TCS / hill-start/decent / ESM off with it as we roll to trailheads . But , when I was DDing the thing, I was usually happy to have the assists enabled .
It's fun deactivating all of the driver aids because your JK/JKU becomes the big gocart that we imagine it should be. But theres a lot to be said for slip mitigation on road.

( it's like I'm old but I gotta remind :
don't drive on public roads with these disabled then go get in accident. It's possible that your Jeep data can be retrieved to show that you had non functional driving safety features & potentially you could be liable.
)
Thanks for sharing your killswitch , op !

Donut heaven !
Here's a video of me attempting to throw a fat butted jku around on an iced over parking lot I made to show the difference in driving with killswitch enabled from a good number of winter's back ...
I'm a dweeb

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 03-01-2019 at 04:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode