Break, Abs, esp, bas, swervy car dash lights on! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Uncle Sams Misguided Child

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-11-2018, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Break, Abs, esp, bas, swervy car dash lights on!

I saw this issue hadnít been updated in 5+ years, so I hope to tap into the [member] knowledge base
Brake, abs, esp/bas, swervy car lights on!!
Hey guys, need help with where/how to start w this.
I noticed my break light on my 08 JKU on earlier in the week, DIDNT see any obvious leak(s) so I topped off the brake fluid w intent to address it this [past] weekend... then we were hit w nearly 9 inches of snow in 24 hours!
The JEEP performed flawlessly over the next 4 days making me proud I owned it!
Then yesterday morning my dash lit up like a idiot light Christmas tree. After reading up I assumed I mightíve tore a sensor line connector / sensor itself and would lose ESP and/or ABS but basically could still [cautiously of course]. drive. So I ran a errand and parked back in garage w plans to spend Sunday in the garage w my coffee thermos. Then last night as I backed outta the garage to drop off my daughter at her friends house and my break pedal went to the floor. I put (JEEP) her back, woke this morning and here I am asking who I trust, you guys!
Experiences/opinions/suggestions/advice respectfully requested guys...HELP

08' Unlimited Sahara 3.8 Lifted
AEV, EMU, 33" NITTO GRAPPLERS
Plan your route like you'll live forever..
Travel your route like you'll die tomorrow..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-11-2018, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

i couldnít read thru the entire post ,but it appears youíve got the solid ABS/ETC/hillstart all solid after startup?

Yeah, usually indicative of a sensor out back or the wire harness sensor up front being fouled or broken.

I have this fresh in mind since I was unaware last weekend when the pssgr side dropped ( below pict), the sensor harness snagged on the back of my shock reservoir ( I musta ran it wrong ) and probably was broken inside the insulation .

To make long story short, I had a replacement rear sensor...I also had a replacement front sensor/wire ( keep backups of everything ). I swapped both rears with new sensor = no change to my warning lights.

I looked and noticed it was possible for my pssgr side wire for sensor to have gotten snagged if really at near max drop of suspension so I took a chance that it was that wire & not the other side. I disassembled that side down to the unitbearing and popped the replacement wire/sensor in. Reassembled it and the lights were gone.

It woulda sucked if itíd been the driver side but I got lucky. I also kinda knew which wire i may have overstretched.

Maybe that helps?

(edit: the brake pedal thing sounds as though you have air causing cavitation in the lines ? You should be out in garage inspecting your brake hw)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 03-11-2018 at 09:14 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-11-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Hey j3ff3ry, thanks brother.
So... any idea which wheel to start on?
Idve been out in garage already but dunno how long itíll (hopefully not) take should I need to tear down to unit bearing?

Any tell-tale I should look for once underneath?
Also, *what did you pay for your spare sensors/wire?

*chance favors the prepared mind

08' Unlimited Sahara 3.8 Lifted
AEV, EMU, 33" NITTO GRAPPLERS
Plan your route like you'll live forever..
Travel your route like you'll die tomorrow..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-12-2018, 05:56 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

A good scanner will tell you which one. I smashed my rear passenger one and had all the lights on for an hour drive home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-12-2018, 08:31 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

So I'm curious now, he said he ended up with "no brake pedal" (going to the floor) when backing out of his garage after all the lights being on for several days. So, the sensor going out or a wire breaking will give you a soft or no brake pedal? I'm not following the mechanics of that, but would sure like to understand it, I would never have dreamed the two would/could be related.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-12-2018, 08:36 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Jester View Post
So I'm curious now, he said he ended up with "no brake pedal" (going to the floor) when backing out of his garage after all the lights being on for several days. So, the sensor going out or a wire breaking will give you a soft or no brake pedal? I'm not following the mechanics of that, but would sure like to understand it, I would never have dreamed the two would/could be related.
The brake pedal shouldn't go to the floor with just a light on. My 07 did not do that.
Texas_Jester likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-12-2018, 09:32 PM
Rock God

I have all those idiot lighst since I swapped the one ton axles, and I need to move my front sensors to the back. Basically like the guys above mentioned you should not have a pedal to floor issue related to the sensors.

Most likely sounds like you have a bad break condition that the sensors are picking up. I woudl check your brake fluid, and connections to booster, ABS module, etc first before dropping $ on sensors and that may not be the issue. One option is to inspect and clean your current sensors specially if there is gunk after the snow run.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Jester View Post
So I'm curious now, he said he ended up with "no brake pedal" (going to the floor) when backing out of his garage after all the lights being on for several days. So, the sensor going out or a wire breaking will give you a soft or no brake pexdal? I'm not following the mechanics of that, but would sure like to understand it, I would never have dreamed the two would/could be related.
the brake pedal in my mind is a totally separate issue from OPs alert warning indicators. It may be a derivative problem from his attempting to troubleshoot the lights warning but I do not think it related ...adding brake fluid like he mentioned might cause air to get into line tho unlikely...

Tryin to help with the indicator lights is all I was referring to in my post.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-13-2018, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vfrpilot View Post
Hey j3ff3ry, thanks brother.
So... any idea which wheel to start on?
Idve been out in garage already but dunno how long it’ll (hopefully not) take should I need to tear down to unit bearing?

Any tell-tale I should look for once underneath?
Also, *what did you pay for your spare sensors/wire?

*chance favors the prepared mind

rockauto.com for the wheel speed sensor harness. For fronts . I think $17-30?
You have to at least get rotorvoff front to reach sensor allenhead bolt to remove front sensors. I don’t have to undo or loosen the unitbearing ...I just bend dust shield back and can get them out then bend it back ...use the silicone around o ring if included in you replacement to seal out grime from roads.

Rear sensor maybe $15-$25 bucks I can’t recall. Also rockauto.

Nope, no way to tell which you start with.

@gerberhard has it correct I his post. Testing clean performance of what you have is of course first. You may have stuck or blown piston gasket or line rupture or stretched ...I can keep goin. Brake service schedule in user owner manual but they’re such basic maint routines not many of us mention.

Brakes are ,like, real important. You need to get out and spend a day performing a full inspection and likely makeover of your braking hardware and fluids , man. Northern de icing and weather is so harsh on undercarriage and brake hw ...cleaning and servicing is needed at least then diagnose and replace , recondition and test.
Don’t gamble with the stopping stuff.

Tons of info here and other forums there are good write ups .

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 03-13-2018 at 05:13 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-25-2018, 03:03 PM
Wheeler

2012 Wrangler, passenger front speed sensor

Ok, boys and Girls. FINALLY fixed the front passenger Wheel speed sensor. Had the Christmas tree of death lights come on the dash. Good guy OBD'd it for me. Threw trouble codes for Right front speed sensor and a Transmission trouble code, which goes hand in hand with the wheel sensor. Checked my front passenger wheel, no play in it what so ever. So!, Bought a new sensor, and while attempting to un-clip the sensor from behind the shock tower mount, I pulled the female harness off, along with the sensor FFFFUUUCCCKKKK MMMEEEEE. Well, went to Autozone. You can prob get these things anywhere, but they are called a pigtail universal adapter. Pretty much made to fit the wheel speed sensor male pins. So I had to splice in new wires, for both exposed wire ends from the internal harness. No issues at all with the splice.

NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT!
Unhook the NEG battery terminal, before attaching the new sensor. When you splice in the new wires, on the Jeep Wrangler 2012 and I assume the JK 2013, the POSITIVE WIRE IS ALL WHITE
THE NEGATIVE WIRE IS WHITE WITH A BROWN OR GREEN STRIPE RUNNING DOWN THE WIRE.

Hooked everything back up. Now hook up the battery. If you were to start the Jeep, your AC/Heat blower wont work. Im not sure why this is. The Jeep however, is just confused. So, I did the same procedure I do to clear the "Change oil soon". Turn key to accessory, Depress gas 3x, turn off. Start her up. I drove her maybe 50 feet and the lights went off. Hopefully this helps someone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode