50" Light bar with a soft-top roof.. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-21-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
50" Light bar with a soft-top roof..

Hey guys,

I recently installed a 50" light bar and knew that I was going to face the apparent "whistling" noise due to the wind flowing over the rear fins of the light bar. Took it for a quick drive after I installed it and people were not joking when they say ear-popping whistling noise that gets worse the faster you go, so I installed three rubber spacers into the fins and that solved that issue.

My question for you now; I have a soft-top JK and because the light bar sticks up higher than the roof of my Jeep there is a pretty strong turbulent flow of air that goes over the light bar and crashes hard onto my soft-top making the soft-top beat like a set of drums. It's literally loud enough that the radio doesn't drown the sound out.

Is anyone familiar with some sort of DIY way, or lip-kit that can attach behind the light bar or to the top of the windshield to break-up that turbulent flow?

Thanks guys

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport

-ZoneOffroad 3" lift
-Front & Rear Adjustable Trackbars
-braided brake lines
-LED headlights & Taillights
-Custom white leather w/ black stitch seats
-16x8 Pro Comp Series 31 Wheels
-Yokohama Geolander M/T 315/75/16
-re-gear
-heavy duty Front & Rear driveshafts
-heavy duty ball joints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-21-2018, 11:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

I tried all manner of different deflectors and positioning on my setup. I finally gave up and decided that he LED bar was not useful enough to put up with the noise, and I removed it. Good luck.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #3 of 4 Old 02-21-2018, 11:28 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

You could put a cover over the light bar to completely shield it from the wind or you could do what I did and put three big zip ties equally spaced apart to minimize the vibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-23-2018, 11:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Similar situation, different type of vehicle. My buddy was dealing with the incessant whistling of the 50" Rigid SR on his Raptor so he employed a two fold fix. He picked up covers for the light bar and angled the bar slightly down so as to alter the wind dynamics. It's helped some, but its not 100% perfect.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode