HELP - issues with lights after new LED headlights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

HELP - issues with lights after new LED headlights

So I have a 2010 wrangler sport 2D, I just put in some new LED headlights that have the option of also being DRL. I read I needed to connect the red DRL right coming from my head lights to the DRL wire that was going into my turn signal lights, so I did that and it works perfectly! However Iím very new to this. So I CUT the DRL wire that was going to my turn signal and connected it to the red wire on the headlights instead of splicing (I think thatís the word) them together. Now my turn signal lights donít turn on at all unless I am signaling.. whatís the easiest way to fix this so I can still use my headlights for he DRL, but also have my turn signals lights come on when I turn my lights on? I was thinking of running a wire from the DRL on the turn signal and connecting it with my side maker lights so theyíll turn on when my side marker lights turn on, however I dont know if thatís safe and I donít want any check engine lights on. Please help I hate not having the turn signal lights on it looks strange at night.. lol help the newbie people!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Rock God

Lets straighten out some terminology.

The small round lights in the grill are combination turn signals and park lights.

The single bulb in each has two filaments in it. One for flasher/turn, and the other for park.

I'm not quite clear on how you wired the lights.

So... your front parking lights don't come on at all now.
Could be you blew the fuses for them. Check the tail lights. If they come on, the fuses for the front parking lights are OK.
Another possibility is, when you cut the wires to connect the headlights you lost continuity to the park lights.

My suggestion is take it to someone you know who is good at automotive electrical work. He can see exactly how you have hooked things up, and can point you in the right direction.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-03-2018 at 01:35 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Yes taillights are still working, in the picture I circled the wire that I cut and ran that wire to the head light for the DRL.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Is it possible to run a wire from where I circled to the side marker lights?
post #5 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Rock God

If that wire is still dead-ended as in the picture, that would be your loss of continuity to the park light.

The park light and side marker light are on the same circuit. If your side marker light behaves normally, the way you want it to, connecting the dead-ended wire to the side marker circuit should restore the function of the park light.

You could also splice the dead-ended wire to its original wire that now runs to the headlight's DRL circuit.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-03-2018 at 02:08 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Yes it is still dead-ended. I will connect it to the side marker light and let know you know what happens. Thank you so much!

Oh also, the side maker light has two wires going to it, a black and a white. I believe I want to connect it to the hot wire which is the black, correct?
post #7 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennenkitterman View Post
Yes it is still dead-ended. I will connect it to the side marker light and let know you know what happens. Thank you so much!

Oh also, the side maker light has two wires going to it, a black and a white. I believe I want to connect it to the hot wire which is the black, correct?
Black is ground.
White, possibly with a light green tracer, is hot.

post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

On all the videos I've watched when they are connecting the front parking lights to the side marker lights they use the black wire, is my year jeep different? I don't want to mess up!
post #9 of 9 Old 02-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennenkitterman View Post
On all the videos I've watched when they are connecting the front parking lights to the side marker lights they use the black wire, is my year jeep different? I don't want to mess up!
Black is ground. White is hot.
Black being ground is not year dependent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode