2008 Electrical Issues: TPMS, dash lights, blinker, etc - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

2008 Electrical Issues: TPMS, dash lights, blinker, etc

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, and I'm hoping you can help.

I recently purchased a 2008 Rubicon Unlimited with about 66k miles on it. When I test drove it, the TPMS warning light came on. It went off shortly after I started driving and I assumed a tire had been low; the dealer aired it up; no worries. The light never came on again during the test drive of about 15 minutes.

After buying the Jeep, not only does the TPMS light continue to come on, many other warning lights randomly come on as well including:

-air bag
-stability control
-security

In addition to the warning lights, the left turn signal push to flash function doesn't work (push it and it blinks 3 times). The horn doesn't work, and the right rear power door lock doesn't work.

So far, I've disconnected the battery and touched the cables together; run a dedicated ground from the battery to one of the grounding lugs by the TIPM; and today I put a brand new TIPM in it. No change in the symptoms.

I'm guessing the clock spring could be bad, but I don't know if that accounts for all the issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-28-2018, 05:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB69 View Post
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, and I'm hoping you can help.

I recently purchased a 2008 Rubicon Unlimited with about 66k miles on it. When I test drove it, the TPMS warning light came on. It went off shortly after I started driving and I assumed a tire had been low; the dealer aired it up; no worries. The light never came on again during the test drive of about 15 minutes.

After buying the Jeep, not only does the TPMS light continue to come on, many other warning lights randomly come on as well including:

-air bag
-stability control
-security

In addition to the warning lights, the left turn signal push to flash function doesn't work (push it and it blinks 3 times). The horn doesn't work, and the right rear power door lock doesn't work.

So far, I've disconnected the battery and touched the cables together; run a dedicated ground from the battery to one of the grounding lugs by the TIPM; and today I put a brand new TIPM in it. No change in the symptoms.

I'm guessing the clock spring could be bad, but I don't know if that accounts for all the issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ken
Pulling any codes? Clock spring was a "recall" item/run the vin and see if it's been addressed yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #3 of 7 Old 01-29-2018, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

I haven't checked for any codes. The check engine light isn't on, but I will scan it to see if there are any stored codes.

From another thread I saw, I thought the recall was only for 2007 model years?

Thanks
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-29-2018, 09:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I haven't checked for any codes. The check engine light isn't on, but I will scan it to see if there are any stored codes.

Thanks
Ken
It was expanded at some point as mine is a 2008. Just got my $ back from them a couple months ago. I had already replaced but luckily kept my receipt and it was pretty painless actually.

Keep us posted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #5 of 7 Old 01-29-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

According to the MOPAR site, the recall was completed with about 5 others. I found out the Jeep had a MOPAR tow bar installed. That probably explains the low mileage (fewer than 70k). Of course, just because the recall was completed, that doesn't mean the clockspring isn't bad. I found a new clockspring for about $30, so I'm going to try that and see.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-31-2018, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Yesterday I tried the horn while driving, and what do you know, it worked? In fact, it worked several times and then stopped working again. This suggests to me that there is an intermittent connection. Either the wires are chafed or the switches are loose/dirty. When I take it apart to inspect the clockspring, hopefully, I will find something.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-31-2018, 11:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Thanks
Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
It was expanded at some point as mine is a 2008. Just got my $ back from them a couple months ago. I had already replaced but luckily kept my receipt and it was pretty painless actually.

Keep us posted

I have a '10 and got the recall notice on the clock spring.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode