Is LED headlights illegal? Any views about it? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By D94R
  • 1 Post By rgeorge33

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 11-01-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Is LED headlights illegal? Any views about it?

Hello everyone,

Is LED headlights illegal? If it is not illegal until what color of light only consider getting blocked?

So far I keep viewing the led headlamp and most of people is selling 6000k (white light) with 3.6k lumen.
I am seeing the headlamp majority manufactured vehicle between 1500lumen until 3000lumen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-01-2017, 11:40 PM

Factory fitted is the key. If you retrofit original HID/LED headlights that were made for your car,
including all the stuff that belongs to it (headlight washer maybe not so necessary when you keep your headlights clean manually),
then go for it. You'll get better light, not to mention that LED headlights look freaking cool.

post #3 of 24 Old 11-02-2017, 05:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Headlights have to be stamped DOT approved to be legal. Most of the aftermarket ones are Off Road Use Only. JW Speaker is one example of a DOT-approved headlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 11-02-2017, 06:40 AM
Wheeler

Vision X headlights are also DOT approved.
post #5 of 24 Old 11-02-2017, 06:53 AM
Rock God

Trucklites are DOT. No all DOT stamped lights are actually DOT approved. SEveral chicom companies are stamping and selling DOT headlights that have not really been DOT approved. I think most American Companies that are DOT stamped probably have met the criteria ie Rigid (trucklite) and jw speaker and not sure what others are usa made.
post #6 of 24 Old 11-02-2017, 08:54 AM
Rock God

Please don't buy lights as hot as 6000K. Might as well just drive with your high beams on...oncoming traffic loves that.
post #7 of 24 Old 11-02-2017, 10:01 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
Please don't buy lights as hot as 6000K. Might as well just drive with your high beams on...oncoming traffic loves that.
Color temperature has very little to do with light scatter and glare. 6K color temp is actually lower output than say 4.3k or 5K. (4.3k being what most OEMs prefer and closely mimics the color of light from the Sun.) Glare and light scatter is a byproduct of poor optics or poorly matched optics to bulb/capsule type.

OP, if you're talking about using LED retrofit bulbs with stock JK housings, don't. Despite what people say, the round shape of the JK housing is ripe for light scatter.

If you're talking about JW Speakers, Truck Lite, Morimoto BiLED, Vision X, or Mopar OEM LED housings then you're good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Rock God

I'd rather look at the sun than a welding arc.
Color matters.
post #9 of 24 Old 11-02-2017, 02:30 PM
Rock God

Again, it's not the color. The weld arc intensity is what damages your eyes (and the UV rays what burns your skin).

And, 6000K is actually cooler in color, not "hot"
JKCTAZ likes this.

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #10 of 24 Old 11-02-2017, 07:49 PM
Rock God

KC Hi Lites Gravity are DOT. I have them on my 17 and love them. They cut off seems great and the side spread hits the sides of the road very well. was looking at the Pros but there had been some issues with fitment from what I was reading.
post #11 of 24 Old 11-03-2017, 12:16 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I have been running the JW Speaker Black, half Halo's for about 7 months now. I love them, huge improvement over stock.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0137B5HEC..._t1_B00GMRM3KA
Attached Images

08'Rubicon, 37" Radial Trepadors, DIY beadlocks,10 Factory rear axles,RCV front shafts,Sleeved front,C-gussets,5.38's,OBA,highlift,Warn,
PSC fenders,corners,rocker knocker, BFH rear, Warn front, Classic Cobra 29,Carpet delete, hurculinered tub.

Last edited by Eburgpirate; 11-03-2017 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Adding a picture
post #12 of 24 Old 11-03-2017, 03:25 AM
Rock God

The '15 got GENSII 7" LED projectors; says they are DOT approved. They have that double projector to them with side lens' to spread out the light super wide. They work great and have a better output than the HID projectors I bought from HIDheadlights. The only downfall is the high beams flicker bad even with the anti-flicker device installed.

And yes the cutoff is this good.

5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #13 of 24 Old 11-03-2017, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

holy light patterns!

I have seen some reviews and compares but never - maybe possibly some good HIDs- seen a picture displaying a JK light pattern from aftermarket LEDs upgrading the oem candles like these appear to be doing.
If I drove at night a bunch these are what I'd want.(edit: after looking the fast blinking - resistor bs from running LED tails for 5 yrs, I refuse to even consider using led headlamps precisely for the flicker issue you mention persisting, @dr 49)
Still, that's pretty amazing forward lighting compared to my H4 conversion...
What's a set cost?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 11-03-2017 at 04:38 AM.
post #14 of 24 Old 11-03-2017, 07:35 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
Again, it's not the color. The weld arc intensity is what damages your eyes (and the UV rays what burns your skin).

And, 6000K is actually cooler in color, not "hot"
Whatever. Understand what I'm saying...white light sucks. The closer to blue it gets the more it sucks. Tell me again how it's not the color when every scale displaying the Kelvin rating of light shows it to be a color. I don't argue with science.

Hot light is bad from the driver's seat, as well. The more that number rises, the less that light provides contrast and, by extension, depth perception. Why? Cuz it's washing everything out. Why do you think yellow fog lights work better than white?

You, JKCTAZ and whoever else wants to educate me, save your breath. Please don't bother hittin' me up with your facts, you guys are talking about tone, glare, scatter...we're not even on the same page. The difference matters.
Just sayin'.
(With some attitude, cuz misleading info is the debil. )
post #15 of 24 Old 11-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Whatever. I don't argue with science.

You, JKCTAZ and whoever else wants to educate me, save your breath. Please don't bother hittin' me up with your facts.

Just sayin'.
Lighting discussions are fun. Can we discuss oil next?
Thunderbolt likes this.
post #16 of 24 Old 11-05-2017, 05:59 AM
Rock God

Is LED headlights illegal? Any views about it?

lol ignorance truly is bliss

Jeffery, the lights came from Amazon at $90/light. Sold individually because they are popular on motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt

Last edited by D94R; 11-05-2017 at 06:02 AM.
post #17 of 24 Old 11-05-2017, 08:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Whatever. Understand what I'm saying...white light sucks. The closer to blue it gets the more it sucks. Tell me again how it's not the color when every scale displaying the Kelvin rating of light shows it to be a color. I don't argue with science.

Hot light is bad from the driver's seat, as well. The more that number rises, the less that light provides contrast and, by extension, depth perception. Why? Cuz it's washing everything out. Why do you think yellow fog lights work better than white?

You, JKCTAZ and whoever else wants to educate me, save your breath. Please don't bother hittin' me up with your facts, you guys are talking about tone, glare, scatter...we're not even on the same page. The difference matters.
Just sayin'.
(With some attitude, cuz misleading info is the debil. )
Not that I am looking to get into an internet pissing match, but I think you have your hot/cold references flipped. My understanding is as the kelvin number decreases the warmer (hotter) the color temperature and the more yellow there is in the light leading to less harshness on the eyes. Conversely as the kelvin number increases the cooler the temperature leading to a more bluish tone to the light output.

That said, 5000 to 6000 kelvin is considered closest to to day light and is supposed to be not as harsh on the eyes whether it’s yours while driving or on coming drivers.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 24 Old 11-05-2017, 10:42 PM
Rock God

I'm not interested in pissing contests either, but I think it's important to be on the same page when discussing things. I coulda ditched the attitude and taken the high road but it really pisses me off when people go on the cheap installing H/Ls. I blindly lashed out. (pun intended. )
I'm pretty sure anything I say about it now will fall on deaf ears...but I'll try anyway.

I understand what's being said with respect to warm and cool, but y'all are talking about tone - the effect of the color. I'm talking about cold and hot - the source of that effect. If you'll indulge me, a simple reading of the second paragraph in the link describes what I'm sayin'...and I am only just sayin' it - short of linking an entry that cites a few dozen references.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

It's mostly the fartcan ricer crowd that causes the offense and I frequently consider returning the inconsideration with a retina-burning spotlight, but I strive to be reasonable.
It's okay,,,for now.
post #19 of 24 Old 11-06-2017, 03:19 AM
Rock God

No, no one is talking tone, we are talking in the scientific sense, you are the one talking in your own narrative here.

So I'll quote what you link to.

Quote:
Color temperatures over 5000 K are called "cool colors" (bluish white), while lower color temperatures (2700–3000 K) are called "warm colors" (yellowish white through red).[1] "Warm" in this context is an analogy to radiated heat flux of traditional incandescent lighting rather than temperature. The spectral peak of warm-coloured light is closer to infrared, and most natural warm-coloured light sources emit significant infrared radiation. The fact that "warm" lighting in this sense actually has a "cooler" color temperature often leads to confusion.
Read that last sentence; it's you.

Anyhow, quit fucking up a tech thread with your nonsense.

You are talking about the junk HID's blinding you cause some 18yr old queer puts some vatozone cheapies on their civic. You're not blinded and effected because of the color, you are blinded and effected because of the radical light spill from a bulb being used in a housing that can not focus it and keep it out of YOUR eyes as the oncoming traffic.

If you think it's the color, quit reading books, those white pages are surely gonna fuck you up.

Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #20 of 24 Old 11-06-2017, 06:06 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
The '15 got GENSII 7" LED projectors; says they are DOT approved. They have that double projector to them with side lens' to spread out the light super wide. They work great and have a better output than the HID projectors I bought from HIDheadlights. The only downfall is the high beams flicker bad even with the anti-flicker device installed.

And yes the cutoff is this good.
HOLY SHIT! that cutoff is insanely good for a LED projector kit. I was planning to retrofit The Retrofit Source's new M-LED but this is very tempting for ease and price.
post #21 of 24 Old 11-06-2017, 06:41 AM
Rock God

I haven't contacted the Amazon seller, or GENSII, but if they would include a better anti-flicker device I'd give these headlights a 10/10. As is, the high beams will give you seizures with the random flicker. So I rate them 8/10.

They are so bright though with the low beams that the highs really aren't needed except for deep back country roads. Anymore, there is so much traffic I can't use the high beams long enough to bother turning them on anymore.

Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #22 of 24 Old 11-06-2017, 08:35 AM
Rock God

Ive had my JW speaker LED lights for over a year now. Light pattern is awesome, but i do wish it was a bit lower Kelvin (like daylight or more yellow). During bad weather at night i could barely see so i added some amber bulbs into the fog

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #23 of 24 Old 11-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Wheeler

post #24 of 24 Old 11-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've loved my LEDS but they don't produce enough heat (plus they're flat faced) to melt snow.
And of course like others said, they're not so good in foggy/snowy times. But thats what yellow fogs and AUX lighting is for.

This is my Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode