Speed Sensor Issue's-No Cruise Control+ABS/Traction Control Lights On - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Rb6700
  • 1 Post By StubEXrube
  • 1 Post By StubEXrube
  • 1 Post By Rb6700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-31-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Question Speed Sensor Issue's-No Cruise Control+ABS/Traction Control Lights On

Hello everyone I have a few Questions that I am hoping somewhere on here is able to answer for me. Recently I was driving down the highway when my Cruise control went out and the ABS/Traction Control lights on my dash lit up.

I ran the codes and the codes came back saying the Front left/Rear Right speed sensor's were out. I replaced both myself and to my surprise they were both completely broken and the rear one was broken in half.

Anyways after replacing them I was hoping it would just make everything normal again but of course it didn't. Was looking online for some more information but the best I could find was it should have worked and maybe try and unplug the battery for awhile then hopefully it works. Nothing so far has worked and I am delaying going to the dealership as long as I can but I need to figure this out sooner rather than later.

If anyone has something I can try rather than dropping some cash at the dealership that would be great. Also in the Military so we have a full auto shop with pretty much everything you could ask for on base so getting tools shouldn't be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-31-2017, 06:30 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGorgeous View Post
Hello everyone I have a few Questions that I am hoping somewhere on here is able to answer for me. Recently I was driving down the highway when my Cruise control went out and the ABS/Traction Control lights on my dash lit up.

I ran the codes and the codes came back saying the Front left/Rear Right speed sensor's were out. I replaced both myself and to my surprise they were both completely broken and the rear one was broken in half.

Anyways after replacing them I was hoping it would just make everything normal again but of course it didn't. Was looking online for some more information but the best I could find was it should have worked and maybe try and unplug the battery for awhile then hopefully it works. Nothing so far has worked and I am delaying going to the dealership as long as I can but I need to figure this out sooner rather than later.

If anyone has something I can try rather than dropping some cash at the dealership that would be great. Also in the Military so we have a full auto shop with pretty much everything you could ask for on base so getting tools shouldn't be an issue.
You have to clear the codes then everything will work again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
DocGorgeous likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-01-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb6700 View Post
You have to clear the codes then everything will work again.

So I have a obd2 reader that only clears the engine codes. What do I need to get in order to clear electronic codes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-01-2017, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I'm dealing with this too atm. As you've already concluded, you can't just clear those types of codes. Mine is showing a U1418 code ESP/ BAS lights are illuminated. I also unhooked both pos and neg batt terminals overnight... no dice. With my particular code there's several potential culprits.. hub bearing, tone ring, speed sensor(s), alignment, even possible clock-spring ( which would suck as I've recently replaced that with no issue ( under the recall = parts reimbursement... although not sure they will cover it if I have to replace it again).

Idk... If you haven't already, I would look to see that your other sensors are okay and also make sure that there wasn't collateral damage to the speed-sensor lines/ connections.
DocGorgeous likes this.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #5 of 10 Old 11-01-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I'm dealing with this too atm. As you've already concluded, you can't just clear those types of codes. Mine is showing a U1418 code ESP/ BAS lights are illuminated. I also unhooked both pos and neg batt terminals overnight... no dice. With my particular code there's several potential culprits.. hub bearing, tone ring, speed sensor(s), alignment, even possible clock-spring ( which would suck as I've recently replaced that with no issue ( under the recall = parts reimbursement... although not sure they will cover it if I have to replace it again).

Idk... If you haven't already, I would look to see that your other sensors are okay and also make sure that there wasn't collateral damage to the speed-sensor lines/ connections.
What other sensors would I be looking for? And would you just think it would be about time to just take it into the dealer and eat the cost?
post #6 of 10 Old 11-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
What other sensors would I be looking for? And would you just think it would be about time to just take it into the dealer and eat the cost?
The other two wheel sensors... even though that code doesn't indicate that those are in question. I would simply check t o make sure they're okay... since the others were toasted. Again... even though an issue with the other wheels may not be reflected in the particular code that you brought up... Piece of mind.

Also even though you didn't mention it... make sure to put maybe 10 or so miles on the odometer after repairs like this. Not sure in this instance but it could require putting some miles on it for the computer to recognize the repair and update, subsequently shutting off the dash-lights.

Up to you on succumbing to the dealership. In my personal experience, many fixes ( had my JK going on 10 yrs now... lots of little repairs lol) aren't that difficult to remedy once you have isolated/ diagnosed the problem... just a PITA to track down sometimes. If you trust the integrity of your delership's service dept, then by all means let em have a go at it. Unfortunately what has kept me from relying on my local dealership, is the fact that they are seemingly somewhat incompetent and unethical. That's why in most cases I would rather do the repair if I'm able.
DocGorgeous likes this.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #7 of 10 Old 11-02-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
The other two wheel sensors... even though that code doesn't indicate that those are in question. I would simply check t o make sure they're okay... since the others were toasted. Again... even though an issue with the other wheels may not be reflected in the particular code that you brought up... Piece of mind.

Also even though you didn't mention it... make sure to put maybe 10 or so miles on the odometer after repairs like this. Not sure in this instance but it could require putting some miles on it for the computer to recognize the repair and update, subsequently shutting off the dash-lights.

Up to you on succumbing to the dealership. In my personal experience, many fixes ( had my JK going on 10 yrs now... lots of little repairs lol) aren't that difficult to remedy once you have isolated/ diagnosed the problem... just a PITA to track down sometimes. If you trust the integrity of your delership's service dept, then by all means let em have a go at it. Unfortunately what has kept me from relying on my local dealership, is the fact that they are seemingly somewhat incompetent and unethical. That's why in most cases I would rather do the repair if I'm able.
Yeah one thing I loved before i bought my Jeep was being able to work on buddies ourselves and not having to take it to a dealership. I have driven about 100 miles or so since repairing both of them so I know it isn't that unfortunately. I will check on those 2 other sensors tomorrow after work to make sure it isnt those as well. Thank you
post #8 of 10 Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Granite Guru

Without a scanner it can be difficult to repair electrical problems. I had a code once fore a wheel speed sensor, replaced it only to still have the code. I wound up finding a broken wire a foot and a half away from the sensor. No ideal how the wire broke.

DocGorgeous likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb6700 View Post
Without a scanner it can be difficult to repair electrical problems. I had a code once fore a wheel speed sensor, replaced it only to still have the code. I wound up finding a broken wire a foot and a half away from the sensor. No ideal how the wire broke.

Is it as easy as tracing the wire back and then replacing it or is in more in depth than that?
post #10 of 10 Old 11-03-2017, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Is it as easy as tracing the wire back and then replacing it or is in more in depth than that?
It can be that easy. That's why I was saying to check the connections... not just the sensor at the wheel but back along the line to the connectors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in