looking for decent spot lights of a certain size - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tspevacek
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-22-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
looking for decent spot lights of a certain size

3-3.5 inch spot lights prefer LED does anyone have any recommendations? I'm finding a ton of LEDS in those sizes from hundreds of dollars down to 20 bucks for a set but all of them seem to be fog/flood pattern (guess that size is popular fog light size)

Any that I find promising don't really show how well the pattern is so personal recommendations are needed.

This is my Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-22-2017, 07:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvjeeper View Post
3-3.5 inch spot lights prefer LED does anyone have any recommendations? I'm finding a ton of LEDS in those sizes from hundreds of dollars down to 20 bucks for a set but all of them seem to be fog/flood pattern (guess that size is popular fog light size)

Any that I find promising don't really show how well the pattern is so personal recommendations are needed.
Rugged ridge lights, espencive yes but we'll worth it. The cheap lights are good for reverse lights and rock lights.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 09-22-2017, 09:22 PM
Random Dude

Quote:

You didn't indicate which end of the price spectrum you preferred.
If you're for the cheapest, just ignore all of the following.

On the $200 each light end, these 3.5" round spot lights will blow holes in the freakin' night.

9 degree cones of light made from a shitload-o'-lumens

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...o-spot-led.asp

Specifications:
Lumens: 4,900 Utilizing 4 Cree LEDs
Wattage/Amps: 42W / 3.5A
Dimensions: 3.5" x 2.77" x 3.5"
Weight: 12 ounces
LED Life Expectancy: 49,930 Hours
Front Lens: Hard Coated Polycarbonate
Housing: Hard Anodized & Powder Coated Cast Aluminum
Bezel: Billet Machined Aluminum
Hardware & Bracket Material: Stainless Steel
Exceeds MIL-STD810G (Mil-Spec Testing)
Built-In Overvoltage Protection
IP69K (Waterproof, Submersible to 9ft)
IK10 Compliant (Mechanical Impact Testing)

Also available for half the cost if 1800 lumens per lamp is enough.
Also available in "cube" shape rather than round.

As for patterns, my recommendation = look at this page (link) to see exactly how their spot, combo, and flood patterns put the light down.

Not trying to sell you on Baja Designs, just saying they're a solid option.
Attached Images

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-23-2017, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
You didn't indicate which end of the price spectrum you preferred.
If you're for the cheapest, just ignore all of the following.

On the $200 each light end, these 3.5" round spot lights will blow holes in the freakin' night.

9 degree cones of light made from a shitload-o'-lumens

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...o-spot-led.asp

Specifications:
Lumens: 4,900 Utilizing 4 Cree LEDs
Wattage/Amps: 42W / 3.5A
Dimensions: 3.5" x 2.77" x 3.5"
Weight: 12 ounces
LED Life Expectancy: 49,930 Hours
Front Lens: Hard Coated Polycarbonate
Housing: Hard Anodized & Powder Coated Cast Aluminum
Bezel: Billet Machined Aluminum
Hardware & Bracket Material: Stainless Steel
Exceeds MIL-STD810G (Mil-Spec Testing)
Built-In Overvoltage Protection
IP69K (Waterproof, Submersible to 9ft)
IK10 Compliant (Mechanical Impact Testing)

Also available for half the cost if 1800 lumens per lamp is enough.
Also available in "cube" shape rather than round.

As for patterns, my recommendation = look at this page (link) to see exactly how their spot, combo, and flood patterns put the light down.

Not trying to sell you on Baja Designs, just saying they're a solid option.
I'd prefer around 100/ light max but I'll look into these as well.

This is my Signature
post #5 of 15 Old 09-23-2017, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

I have used superbirghtled.com several times without complaint. Not mil spec like BAJA but quality and affordable.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...9_in,203,9961:

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link

Last edited by thedirtman; 09-23-2017 at 07:48 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-23-2017, 08:59 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
I'd prefer around 100/ light max but I'll look into these as well.
The closest thing in BD would be the Squadron Sport https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...t-led-spot.asp

Right around $200 for a pair when deals are found. But that was just "spotlighting" the high end of what's available.

Be sure and check out Dirtman's link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I have used superbirghtled.com several times without complaint. Not mil spec like BAJA but quality and affordable.
I've had success so far with everything I've bought from superbrightleds.
Light color and pattern aren't on par with BD (duh), but the lights cost a chitload less.
Also far less likely to get kleptomized, and you're less bummed if you smash 'em.

-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

post #7 of 15 Old 09-23-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
The closest thing in BD would be the Squadron Sport https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...t-led-spot.asp

Right around $200 for a pair when deals are found. But that was just "spotlighting" the high end of what's available.

Be sure and check out Dirtman's link.

I've had success so far with everything I've bought from superbrightleds.
Light color and pattern aren't on par with BD (duh), but the lights cost a chitload less.
Also far less likely to get kleptomized, and you're less bummed if you smash 'em.
Ideally in my head I'd like to replace front turn signals with spot lights so I'd prefer a round design for closer to stockish look. Realistically I'm not sure how it'll work out so most likely will end up mounting them on the front bumper bar.
My issue is even on the road, My headlights are not enough. I don't want to buy a 50 inch lightbar because you know, lockers before lightbars. I have cheapo smaller ones by my winch but they are all flood patterns which I also need because the roads I drive on, my headlights can be powered by the sun but when they only spread so much, they dont help on turns and hills.

This is my Signature

Last edited by mvjeeper; 09-23-2017 at 10:44 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Ideally in my head I'd like to replace front turn signals with spot lights so I'd prefer a round design for closer to stockish look. Realistically I'm not sure how it'll work out so most likely will end up mounting them on the front bumper bar.
My issue is even on the road, My headlights are not enough. I don't want to buy a 50 inch lightbar because you know, lockers before lightbars. I have cheapo smaller ones by my winch but they are all flood patterns which I also need because the roads I drive on, my headlights can be powered by the sun but when they only spread so much, they dont help on turns and hills.
What headlights are you running? I have the KC Hi lites gravities and will say the light output is perfect. The cut off is great and lights up to the outsides very well with out blinding on coming drivers.
mvjeeper likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-23-2017, 09:13 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Are you sure you want 6-9 degree spot lights, or maybe good driving lights (or combo pattern)?

Personally, I don't want a 50" light bar, but this little heater (BD XL-R Pro) gives me great light for off road or on-road at high speed.
(High speed for this little 1/4 ton bucket as I have it set up, not high speed for a prerunner or trophy truck )
Top 2 driving lights outshine my (100w )high beams, and the bottom 2 are wide cornering lights that outdo my low beams and fogs.
EDIT: To clarify, all 4 elements light up at once, I was just describing what the 2 different pairs accomplish.

I put this light on front for high-speed offroad and as a backup in case my headlights fail.
Have tested on high speed back roads with all other lights off, and it's perfect for my needs.

Doesn't look like much on the front of the Jeep, and that makes me very happy - I like blingless, understated, sneaky stuff

Not saying my solution is great for anyone else, just sharing my oddball cyclops "light bar substitute".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspevacek View Post
What headlights are you running? I have the KC Hi lites gravities and will say the light output is perfect. The cut off is great and lights up to the outsides very well with out blinding on coming drivers.
Excellent question! ^^^

The factory headlights are pure dog shit. I have headlight relays and H4 housings with 60/100 bulbs, and the difference is "night and day".

Last edited by ExWrench; 09-23-2017 at 09:16 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-24-2017, 07:52 AM
JKO Addict!

off road lights are illegal for on road use, so upgrade your headlights if you need better visibility on the road.
mvjeeper likes this.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #11 of 15 Old 09-24-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
off road lights are illegal for on road use, so upgrade your headlights if you need better visibility on the road.
I'm not worried about legality but i know forums shy away from those subjects so lets say offroad use only. (To be clear i never run any lights besides my low beams when theres any chance of on coming traffic. I'm not one of "those" people)

Mine are KC hilites or w.e those are called. They're good i like them but in the middle of nowhere when theres no street lights building lights and most of the streets are tree covered, i need more. Plus winter time they ice over quickly.

This is my Signature
post #12 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Are you sure you want 6-9 degree spot lights, or maybe good driving lights (or combo pattern)?

Personally, I don't want a 50" light bar, but this little heater (BD XL-R Pro) gives me great light for off road or on-road at high speed.
(High speed for this little 1/4 ton bucket as I have it set up, not high speed for a prerunner or trophy truck )
Top 2 driving lights outshine my (100w )high beams, and the bottom 2 are wide cornering lights that outdo my low beams and fogs.
EDIT: To clarify, all 4 elements light up at once, I was just describing what the 2 different pairs accomplish.

I put this light on front for high-speed offroad and as a backup in case my headlights fail.
Have tested on high speed back roads with all other lights off, and it's perfect for my needs.

Doesn't look like much on the front of the Jeep, and that makes me very happy - I like blingless, understated, sneaky stuff

Not saying my solution is great for anyone else, just sharing my oddball cyclops "light bar substitute".

Excellent question! ^^^

The factory headlights are pure dog shit. I have headlight relays and H4 housings with 60/100 bulbs, and the difference is "night and day".

Thats my current setup. Those bottom lights are supposed to be spot beam patterns but they suck so I use them in conjunction with the top light bar which is a flood pattern. They work well for what I mostly need them for is a wide angle light pattern for the back roads but I'd still like more light far out.

This is my Signature
post #13 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Granite Guru

Good lights are not cheep and cheep lights are not good. Something to consider. Plus if your head lights ice over in winder, so will any other LED light.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Sorry, but I have never been able to buy into the price of some of these Led manufacturers. I have been running tons led's from Amazon for the last 4 years and have never had one fail or leak. Just can't seem to justify the price... makes no sense. Just my 2 cents

4" Hyperspot 30 degree for $45

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-PHILI...rc=detail&th=1

And if you want a real tight pattern here are some nice 10 degree 2800lm cubes for $99

https://www.amazon.com/RUN-D-Cube-Dr...10+degree+spot

2011 Jeep Rubicon JKU 6.0l VORTEC L96 - 6L80E 6 speed auto
40" Cooper SST Pros-17" Level 8's - 4.5" Synergy Suspension
WTO Hydro assist- Fusion D60's 4.88 gears
VKS Fab and XRC Bumpers/Armor-9500 Synthetic Winch 10lb CO2-Teraflex Big Brake Kit
post #15 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide9 View Post
Sorry, but I have never been able to buy into the price of some of these Led manufacturers. I have been running tons led's from Amazon for the last 4 years and have never had one fail or leak. Just can't seem to justify the price... makes no sense. Just my 2 cents

4" Hyperspot 30 degree for $45

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-PHILI...rc=detail&th=1

And if you want a real tight pattern here are some nice 10 degree 2800lm cubes for $99

https://www.amazon.com/RUN-D-Cube-Dr...10+degree+spot
What I dislike about these cheaper ones is the lumin claims some of them make. My fog lights are apparently more powerful then my headlights... yea thats as far from the actual truth as it possibly can be. So the 2800lm for the second ones? my headlights are only rated at 1600-1800 and they cost $400-$500 range.

I was originally going to go with auxbeam because I've heard good things about them.

This review video doesn't show a lot of distance for the auxbeams.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...O?ref=va_cr_lb

This is my Signature

Last edited by mvjeeper; 09-26-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode