Wiring Diagram (Under seat install) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-19-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Wiring Diagram (Under seat install)

Hey everyone!

I picked up one of those great underseat brackets and plan to mount at least a UHF/VHF radio and a regular CB and if I can pull it off, the module that runs my door locks.

Here is my question... Does my diagram look ok?
I want to run one wire (16g) from the sPOD (or whichever fused & relayed box) to a small power distribution panel under the seat so it can power both radios which total 15 amps...
  • Do I need to fuse again after the power distribution and going from one wire to two or does the sPod relay and fuse properly cover this wire and the electronics on it?
  • Can I ground all three items to one wire and go directly to the battery or a closer grounding point nearby?

Sorry if any of this is trivial, learning yet and would rather do it the right way than a way that works but is less than optimal.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-20-2017, 08:06 AM
Wheeler

I would fuse each unit after the master fuse. Use a 20 amp master off the unused heated rear seat circuit.

"Any problem can be made unsolvable if enough meetings are held to discuss it."
National University, 1983
post #3 of 3 Old 09-24-2017, 09:07 PM
Rock God

Few thoughts on this.

First, 16 gauge probably isn't big enough for what you want to do. I always go big on wire, because
(1) I don't want to burn up my jeep
(2) I may want to add stuff later and don't want to have to re-run the wire, and
(3) I don't want to burn up my jeep

If you really need 15A, you should run at least 14 gauge, but just go for 12 gauge. Better safe than sorry. Google "wire size chart" and have a look. Then go up one size just to be safe.

Second, I had a couple things wired up at the rear of my JK where I shared a ground. One of them was a camera that fed into a rear view monitor up in the cab. The other was a low-draw rigid LED light. I ended up frying my camera and monitor due to voltage spikes, that I learned was most likely caused by a shared ground wire. I didn't investigate this much further, so don't know exactly what happened, but I never ever share ground wires anymore.

If you want to put a power distribution block under the seat, run both a power and ground wire from your sPod into the cab and to your bracket. Mount something like a Blue Sea fuse block like this

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...sea+fuse+block

and fuse each device separately. I have this exact setup with my sPod and it works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode