airbag light on - need help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-14-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

airbag light on - need help

about a month ago my airbag light came on, and there is the occasional audible chime to go along with it. literally two days after the light came on, i get an automated call from jeep saying i am eligible for a courtesy drivers side airbag replacement. so i call, make an appointment, and have the airbag replaced about two weeks ago. problem is, the airbag light is still on. the dealership wanted to charge me around $190 to check the engine codes, which i declined. in hindsight, i probably should have demanded they check the codes for free, considering they just replaced an airbag and the light is still on... how do they know they installed it correctly if the light is still illuminated and they didn't check the code to confirm it isn't the driver side airbag?

anyway, i have a couple code readers at home, and the only codes that come up are related to headlights (which i believe is related to my susquehanna lighting harness). i can't recall the codes off hand, but can rerun them if anyone thinks it may be helpful for troubleshooting.

anyone have any ideas what to look for, or is this something i just need to live with? i think it's very strange that the airbag light is on, but there is no airbag error code.

FYI, in case it matters, i have a 2013 JKU with about 40,000 miles. it's an automatic, sport model and very stripped down - roll up windows, basic stereo, etc. other than the susquehanna lighting harness, an LED lightbar and a winch, i have not attached anything to the electrical system.

Last edited by boopiejones; 09-14-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-14-2017, 12:30 PM
Wheeler

Try clearing the code with one of your readers. It should clear even if not listed. I had a similar experience recently and the "installer" "forgot" to clear the codes after doing the repairs.

"Any problem can be made unsolvable if enough meetings are held to discuss it."
National University, 1983
post #3 of 4 Old 09-15-2017, 02:50 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Call jeep. There is a recall on airbags. Or go to Jeep website and look for recall button and enter your vin number.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHippie View Post
Try clearing the code with one of your readers. It should clear even if not listed. I had a similar experience recently and the "installer" "forgot" to clear the codes after doing the repairs.
i cleared the codes and the light is still on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Call jeep. There is a recall on airbags. Or go to Jeep website and look for recall button and enter your vin number.
i'll have to give that a try tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode