Horn not working before or after clock spring replacement - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-11-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Horn not working before or after clock spring replacement

***Solved (more or less)*** See third post.

I've tried searching for the issue I'm having and it seems 99% of the responses I find are that the issue/fix was the clock spring. In my case, the clock spring was just replaced by the dealer and I still don't have a working horn.

I took my 07 JK to the dealership today for 2 recalls, the clock spring and the passenger side airbag inflater.

The dealership called me and told me that they tested the horn before and after the clock spring replacement and it didn't work before or after.

I told them to just do the recall work. I figured the horn was something I could do myself.

I don't recall the last time I used the horn, but I know it was within the last couple of months (a lovely young woman cut me off and then brake checked me when I honked...).

I had my son push the center of the steering wheel a few times while I listened under the hood and didn't hear a relay. I had my son listen while I pushed it a few times, and he didn't hear anything.

If I hit the lock on the remote, it honks.

I removed the airbag and examined the switches. I wasn't sure how to test them, so I put everything back.

When I re-connected the battery, I expected the horn to honk (I thought it did when the battery was connected) but there was no sound.

I checked both 10a fuses for the horn and both were good (horn would not honk with remote when fuses were removed).

Looking for other things to test - what is recommended? How do you test the switches? Continuity?

Should I test for voltage at the horn? At the fuses?

Does anyone know where to trace the wires? I found the 2 white wires from the 4 switches under the airbag, but I wasn't sure where they came out on the other end.

Any advice/recommendations are much appreciated.

If all else fails, I guess I can take it back in to the dealership.

Thank you.

Last edited by Joker23; 09-13-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-12-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

I might have an idea. A few weeks ago it rained a lot harder than normal. The top leaked right above the driver's side door handle. The water splashed all over the steering wheel. I never thought to try the horn after it was all dried out.

Is it possible the water affected something besides the clock spring?
post #3 of 3 Old 09-13-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

OK, it is working again.

This morning my battery was dead. Tried to charge it, but it said it was at 100%. Had it tested, it was bad.

I bought a new battery, horn still did not work (not that I expected it to).

After work I went to work on it again. I removed the negative battery cable, removed the airbag, then hooked up the battery so I could test voltage. The horn suddenly worked. I put everything back together, and it still works.

People always ask me how I like my Jeep. I always tell them it's a love-hate relationship - I love her, and she hates me.
post #4 of 3 Old 04-17-2018, 07:22 AM

Took my Jeep in on Friday (Apr 14, 2018) for the same recalls and the result was the same. Though the dealer didn't tell me the horn didn't work. I knew that dorking with the clockspring could affect the horn so I just happened to try the horn when driving away. It didn't work. I thought the dealership broke something to get me to come back. The horn has definitely worked in the past, heck even this year, just can't remember the actual day.

Regardless of how it happened, the horn doesn't work. The dealership says it's a short somewhere after the clockspring. I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions? I'm not sure how confident I am in taking the airbag off. Kind of makes me nervous to do the same test as you.

I don't have a security system or, at least, I don't have a key fob so I can't test if it works by clicking those buttons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode