Courtesy light - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-08-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Courtesy light

Hi All... did quite a lengthy search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

What I'm trying to do is have some courtesy lights come on when the doors open. I'm not sure what wire would work. If someone knows and could give me some pointers, that would be great.

Thanks,
Steve

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-09-2010, 05:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I can't remember the color wires but remove the domelight, you HAVE to open the cover before pulling it out as the lens pushes the tabs back when it is closed. Then see which wires they are, yellows with blue or something like that anyway then find them at the plug at the passenger kick panel harness plug. Verify they are the correct ones with a volt meter. To do this all you need to do is shut the door and open it or push the door latch closed all the way and then open it. Then just tap into that wire as your 12v positive and ground the other wire and your done. I would go premade led's that already have the resistor as they will offer the most light with very little draw on the overly finicky electrical canbus systems we have. hopefully this makes some sense as it's early and have not fully woke up yet!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Granite Guru

rob4607 is pretty close. As I recall from memory. The wire color is white with a yellow stripe. You should find two of them in the harness @ the passanger foot well on the right side. It was mentioned that you had to guess at witch wire is correct since there are two of the same color. But I have never heard of anyone guessing wrong?. I suggest that you use this wire to activate a relay. And then you could use the relay to power what ever you want. I have done this very same mod. And there are some minor deficiencies with this mod. #1- your new lights will come on any time you turn on your dome lights and not just when you open the door. #2- the relay will begin to chatter as the light goes off because this circuit has a dimming feature. I have been told that the chatter problem might be correcte with the use of an electronic relay insted of the old fashon type "coil" relay.
Good Luck and Happy Moding.

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod

Last edited by JK-Ford; 09-09-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-09-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks guys, I made some led's lights for the foot wells, so I should have no problem with the canbus system.

Thanks for all your help!

Steve

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Wheeler

its actually the YELLOW wire with the WHITE STRIPE. And the yellow is yellow....thee is also like a goldish/brown wire with a white stipe too....go for the BRIGHT yellow with the white stripe.

I also have LEDs in the footwells, and no relay...works fine because draw is so low
post #6 of 10 Old 09-09-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks Nucastle... haven't done anything yet... I'll get it done tomorrow. Did you make your own light for the foot well?

post #7 of 10 Old 09-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Wheeler

No, I bought them from Oznium. Got two of the straight ones per this link http://www.oznium.com/led-modules

Also used their Dome Light replacements. Have bought a bunch of single LEDs for some additional lights in the interior that will be doing over the winter.

Good luck!
post #8 of 10 Old 09-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucastle View Post
No, I bought them from Oznium. Got two of the straight ones per this link http://www.oznium.com/led-modules

Also used their Dome Light replacements. Have bought a bunch of single LEDs for some additional lights in the interior that will be doing over the winter.

Good luck!
I also have those LEDs (still hafta put em in) and they are BRIGHT

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #9 of 10 Old 09-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have a bunch of lights wired this way. 4 footwell, and 8 in my steps.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
Hi All... did quite a lengthy search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

What I'm trying to do is have some courtesy lights come on when the doors open. I'm not sure what wire would work. If someone knows and could give me some pointers, that would be great.

Thanks,
Steve
Did you ever get this question resolved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode