Throttle Issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By coilrod
  • 1 Post By rlee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-03-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Throttle Issue

I am new here and have searched all over trying to find a article that matches my issue but been unable to.

I have a 08 JKU X. The issue is intermittent and I get no engine codes. I will start off and everything will seem fine. Then I will lose power. I have noticed that if I back off the throttle and just use a little bit i can keep her going. If I try to press any harder (further) it will just lose all power as if going back to idle. Some times if I stay in it it will come out of it and I can use the full throttle range other times I will have to pull over and shut it down for a little while. Now I will say it also seems to become a bigger issue the more I drive it. I can normally make my trip to work first thing in the morning with out an issue.

I am more of a fix it myself person but these newer cars are making it hard to do. Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-03-2017, 08:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

Try checking the gas pedal harness and the throttle body harness connections for corrosion. It doesn't take much, believe me. I missed it on my first look when I had similar experiences.
Rb6700 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #3 of 7 Old 09-03-2017, 03:53 PM
Granite Guru

Get a fuel pressure gauge on it. So many people overlook the obvious. A fuel pump can act up more when it heats up. I think your 3.8 should have a valve on the fuel rail, If not you will have to "T" into it. Make sure it doesn't leak and run the gauge through the hood seal at the cowl. That way you can see if supply is good when it acts up.
Rb6700 likes this.

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-04-2017, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

coil and rlee bring viable sggts to the thread. If it's an 08 & you're not the original owner + haven't done this already , , I would not hesitate to do as advised and in the spirit of keeping things simple to eliminate those first, clean the throttle body and butterfly valve thoroughly as I've seen the buildup on the backside of a 3.8l throttle valve be dirty enough to cause massive stumbling but , granted, yours seems exacerbated by heat from operations ...still, a good thing to do anyway....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-06-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Just a little follow up. Throttle Body is clean. Connections all look good along with cleaning TIPM and PCM Ground wires (they looked good but what the hell). Now I will also say I do get the xmas dash lights, wipers going, headlights flash, radio goes off and Gauges drop to zero then come back up. They dont seem to happen at the same time as I will get one or the other (sluggish or bells and whistles) but i do seem to get all the bells & whistles more often when it starts being sluggish. It seems to keep leaning towards a TIPM issue. Now with that I had replaced it but it was with a re-man. That might of been where I went wrong (trying to save money). The more I read about the recall of the 07's I am thinking of taking it in and seeing about having the system flashed just to make sure there is no issue there. I am also working on trying to get another TIPM under the warranty to see if maybe I just got another problem child.

Thanks again everyone.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-14-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Sry took so long to get back but got it figured out. Electrical issue. Aftermarket radio connection. Power loss - New PCM. Everything seems fine now..
post #7 of 7 Old 11-27-2017, 05:41 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Baver View Post
Sry took so long to get back but got it figured out. Electrical issue. Aftermarket radio connection. Power loss - New PCM. Everything seems fine now..
I'm curious... what happened exactly? Thank you!

'13 10A JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode