accesory power at rear of jk? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

accesory power at rear of jk?

I am installing an ARB fridge out back and was wondering if there is a hot wire anywhere nearby or if I should just run one all the way back??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I'm betting that puppy draws a fair bit of amperage, there's not gonna be anything back there that will handle much current.
You're gonna be far better off running a new wire that's heavy enough to handle the current draw of the fridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

You are probably right..... I was looking for a good place to install a 750w inverter anyways, may as well set it up right and run some heavy gauge wire back to the inverter mounting it in the storage cubby at the rear.... damn, so many projects on the go I had better finish at least one of them sometime this week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I dunno if I'd mount my inverter in the cubby back there...
get caught in the rain and its the first place to swamp out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Wheeler

ARB fridges only draw 3 amps max.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 04:06 PM
TrailDuty.com

I have a 12v outlet between the rear cup holders and one up at the side behind the rear seat. I just ran them with decent size wire from the front one. Use them all the time and never have issues.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-08-2010, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
I have a 12v outlet between the rear cup holders and one up at the side behind the rear seat. I just ran them with decent size wire from the front one. Use them all the time and never have issues.
Do you have any photos of your setup?

post #8 of 14 Old 09-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Not a good Idea. You did notice how small the wire was that you tapped into?

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
post #9 of 14 Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Rock God

Connect it to your SPOD...if you don't have one you might want to consider it if you are going to add devices to your JK. As one who melted a few fuse blocks, the SPOD is the best solution to adding electrical devices!

post #10 of 14 Old 09-09-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

^this is true..... As I am running wiring for lights as well, I am not even going to bother fully installing them until I get an SPOD for sure.....t alk about a clean setup..... sigh, this credit card will melt soon!!
post #11 of 14 Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-Ford View Post
Not a good Idea. You did notice how small the wire was that you tapped into?
Yes, I did and as I said it works just fine. The fuse will blow before the wire melts and it's never done that.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

I installed an aux power in the back too...
But it runs from my Power Distribution Box to the back with big wires...
Completely isolated from the OEM electrical system, etc.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Why not keep it simple ? Ive the 12v Engel fridge that includes a 9-foot wire with cigarette lighter adapter. From the rear I run the wire un-noticed between the rear seats, under floor mat, next to seat of driver seat and into lighter socket. When not being used, I leave the unplugged wire under the handbrake.

You'd never know the wire was there unless looking for it. I know the cigeratte wire adapters can spring apart, but its simple to use.

Pls VOTE for kid's Lego Jeep JK @

35s on 7105 17x9, 2.5" TF coil lift, AEV snorkel, Warrior steel Fenders, Lightforce spots, Rigid 12" Lightbar in hood scoop, Skids & side Armor, Katzkin Leather, Ravelco, Duster, Trunk Lockbox & Cargo Tray. >> FRONT Olympic Rock + Stinger + Ares winch plate + Warn 9.5. >> REAR Expedition One carrier + 53" Hi-Lift.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Can install the inverter under the passenger seat (that's where mine is), once water gets up over that hump, you're f'd anyhow. Of coruse, I did leave my top off in a freak summer storm once... and water did go over the inverter... but it was turned off... (but the mains wires are exposed and the fuse blew *GRIN*)

!c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode