Third power outlet in right rear? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 08-02-2017, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question Third power outlet in right rear?

While looking around for my other question about adding a power outlet to my 2016 JK, I ran across a mysterious plug in the right passenger side rear. Under the carpet on top in the very rearmost part of the cargo area there are two plugs. One appears to be for connecting a trailer harness. But the other one looks exactly like the same plug that goes into the lighter/power outlets in the front, except there is no outlet connected to it.

Searching around online I think it might be a "third" power outlet that possibly is supposed to be used for a sub-woofer in the upper grade audio systems. Anyone else have this?

Manual says "third outlet = fuse M36". I put a meter on it and I get no power to it, even though there is a fuse in position M36.
Anyone have any info on this at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-02-2017, 07:34 AM
Rock God

On the older versions the sub is on the side and yes their is a 12v outlet .it is a key on power supply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #3 of 31 Old 08-02-2017, 07:39 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapcola View Post
On the older versions the sub is on the side and yes their is a 12v outlet .it is a key on power supply.

Looks like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 08-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
While looking around for my other question about adding a power outlet to my 2016 JK, I ran across a mysterious plug in the right passenger side rear. Under the carpet on top in the very rearmost part of the cargo area there are two plugs. One appears to be for connecting a trailer harness. But the other one looks exactly like the same plug that goes into the lighter/power outlets in the front, except there is no outlet connected to it.

Searching around online I think it might be a "third" power outlet that possibly is supposed to be used for a sub-woofer in the upper grade audio systems. Anyone else have this?

Manual says "third outlet = fuse M36". I put a meter on it and I get no power to it, even though there is a fuse in position M36.
Anyone have any info on this at all?
The outlet in the back isn't the 3rd outlet. It's outlet #2, and is on fuse M7. The fuse can be positioned to have the outlet be hot all the time or hot only in ACC and/or RUN
Sentinel and tapcola like this.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #5 of 31 Old 08-02-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The outlet in the back isn't the 3rd outlet. It's outlet #2, and is on fuse M7. The fuse can be positioned to have the outlet be hot all the time or hot only in ACC and/or RUN
Um, I thought that outlet #2 is inside the center console? Are you sure about that?

Here are a few pics about what I am talking about...
Attached Images

post #6 of 31 Old 08-02-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm guessing the gray block on the right is for a trailer hitch harness??? But I'm talking about the blue one on the left (in my hand)
post #7 of 31 Old 08-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Um, I thought that outlet #2 is inside the center console? Are you sure about that?
I know what you thought. That's why I posted the facts as they are. And yes, I am sure about it.

post #8 of 31 Old 08-02-2017, 08:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Here are a few pics about what I am talking about...
The plug to the right looks like the same plug I have for the sub it is a dual voice coil .the plug on the left looks like the one I have for my outlet. The trailer harnis plugs into the driver side tail light .

Sentinel and CAMOMAN like this.

post #9 of 31 Old 08-03-2017, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ronjenx,
In my manual it says that M6 is "power outlet #1, M7 is power outlet #2 and M36 is power outlet". I haven't tested it yet but I'm fairly certain that if I remove the fuse from M6 it will kill the power outlet on my dash. If I remove the fuse from M7 it will kill the outlet in my center console. If I am correct then that leaves M36 which, I am trying to determine, is what exactly? I'm thinking it is this third outlet that tapcola is referring to; which is in the rear.

tapcola,
Thanks so much for helping me with this.
So your saying that the gray plug on the right went to the sub speaker and the plug on the left that I'm talking about went directly to the power outlet near the floor on the same kick panel that houses the sub? If so then I wonder why I can't get power to it. I was hoping to just plug a power outlet into it and use it.
post #10 of 31 Old 08-03-2017, 06:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
ronjenx,
In my manual it says that M6 is "power outlet #1, M7 is power outlet #2 and M36 is power outlet". I haven't tested it yet but I'm fairly certain that if I remove the fuse from M6 it will kill the power outlet on my dash. If I remove the fuse from M7 it will kill the outlet in my center console. If I am correct then that leaves M36 which, I am trying to determine, is what exactly? I'm thinking it is this third outlet that tapcola is referring to; which is in the rear.

tapcola,
Thanks so much for helping me with this.
So your saying that the gray plug on the right went to the sub speaker and the plug on the left that I'm talking about went directly to the power outlet near the floor on the same kick panel that houses the sub? If so then I wonder why I can't get power to it. I was hoping to just plug a power outlet into it and use it.
Thats what it looks like to me , I am actually pulling my interior soon for some up grades , that pod is a pain in the ass to get out for me due to the sub.but I will take a look to verify .

Sentinel and CAMOMAN like this.

post #11 of 31 Old 08-03-2017, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I am doing some tests right now and ronjenx is right that the center console power outlet is NOT M7. The one on the dash is M6. No question about that. I tested it. The one in the center console is M36. No question about that; I tested it. So many thanks to ronjenx for that piece of the puzzle. I never would have guessed that. Very much appreciated.

I am now going to pull my kick panel (again) and try to put a meter on the rear outlet and see if that one does anything with M7. Although there is a fuse in M7 and it appears ot be good so it should have registered before. But now that I am looking at the correct fuse I'll check again.
post #12 of 31 Old 08-03-2017, 08:11 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Although there is a fuse in M7 and it appears ot be good so it should have registered before.
Maybe...maybe not.

Reread what I said previously about fuse M7:

"The fuse can be positioned to have the outlet be hot all the time or hot only in ACC and/or RUN."

Also, keep in mind, if your JK did not come from the factory with the rear outlet, there may not be a wire going to the where the outlet would have been.
Mine had no wire coming from the TIPM because there was no outlet in the rear. Later models may have included the wire whether it had the outlet or not.
Sentinel likes this.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-03-2017 at 08:18 AM.
post #13 of 31 Old 08-03-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah, I tried M7 in both positions and I tried it with the car off (no key) and the car running just to be sure. No dice. Still no juice to that plug.
So your saying that since that plug was not plugged in to an actual outlet at the factory that perhaps they did not connect it to the fuse box? Well that would suck. So would that mean that there is a wire running all the way from that plug in the way back of my Jeep all the way to the fusebox and then just stopping somewhere below it and just not getting connected? That sounds about my luck.

Is there any way for me to check if it is connected or not? Although the fact that it is not getting power is a pretty good indicator.
post #14 of 31 Old 08-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Yeah, I tried M7 in both positions and I tried it with the car off (no key) and the car running just to be sure. No dice. Still no juice to that plug.
So your saying that since that plug was not plugged in to an actual outlet at the factory that perhaps they did not connect it to the fuse box? Well that would suck. So would that mean that there is a wire running all the way from that plug in the way back of my Jeep all the way to the fusebox and then just stopping somewhere below it and just not getting connected? That sounds about my luck.

Is there any way for me to check if it is connected or not? Although the fact that it is not getting power is a pretty good indicator.
The wire for the rear outlet leaves the TIPM through cavity 12 in connector C6, under the TIPM.
Sentinel likes this.

post #15 of 31 Old 08-03-2017, 08:43 PM
Rock God

Just buy chance do you have the rear seat belt ? I havent pulled my pannel yet but I was wondering if that is the plug for the seatbelt retractor.

post #16 of 31 Old 08-04-2017, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

tapcoloa,
There is a seat belt right there. I think you can see it in the pics. I fiarly certain this connector is not for that. I'm pretty sure at this point that it's for the power outlet that would be on a sub-woofer panel if I were so equipped.

ronjenx,
While searching I came across a topic "in another forum" by someone you might know detailing connecting this fuse. Excellent thread and would make a great addition here by the way. But anyway, the problem with that other topic is:
1. The pics are hosted at a place that no longer has them so all the pic links are dead. So no pics anymore, and this is a rather pic heavy topic. Without a few pics of what you are talking about it is really hard to know what to do.

2. It doesn't say how you figured out which wire was the correct wire to begin with.

If my outlet is not connected to the TIPM then that would mean that the wire goes from the outlet in back toward the TIPM and stops somewhere. But that's the big problem: where does it stop? Does it stop right below the TIPM and get taped up or something? How do I find it to connect it to the TIPM? I'm guessing that there might be more than one unconnected wire under there; how do I know which one is the right one?

I think if we could detail this procedure here it would be a pretty popular thread. I think a lot of people would love to make use of that third outlet and if all you have to do is take a the wire that is already under your TIPM and connect it and bam you have power, I think a lot of people would love that.
tapcola likes this.
post #17 of 31 Old 08-04-2017, 04:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
tapcoloa,
There is a seat belt right there. I think you can see it in the pics. I fiarly certain this connector is not for that. I'm pretty sure at this point that it's for the power outlet that would be on a sub-woofer panel if I were so equipped.

ronjenx,
While searching I came across a topic "in another forum" by someone you might know detailing connecting this fuse. Excellent thread and would make a great addition here by the way. But anyway, the problem with that other topic is:
1. The pics are hosted at a place that no longer has them so all the pic links are dead. So no pics anymore, and this is a rather pic heavy topic. Without a few pics of what you are talking about it is really hard to know what to do.

2. It doesn't say how you figured out which wire was the correct wire to begin with.

If my outlet is not connected to the TIPM then that would mean that the wire goes from the outlet in back toward the TIPM and stops somewhere. But that's the big problem: where does it stop? Does it stop right below the TIPM and get taped up or something? How do I find it to connect it to the TIPM? I'm guessing that there might be more than one unconnected wire under there; how do I know which one is the right one?

I think if we could detail this procedure here it would be a pretty popular thread. I think a lot of people would love to make use of that third outlet and if all you have to do is take a the wire that is already under your TIPM and connect it and bam you have power, I think a lot of people would love that.
The thread to which you refer is also in this forum, by the same title. The pictures were suddenly held hostage for a ransom. I have too many threads with pictures linked to the hostage taking server. I just don't have the time to re-upload everything to a different server, who may do the same thing.

post #18 of 31 Old 08-05-2017, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OK, then there really is only one last question.

On yours was the wire for the rear outlet already connected to (coming out of) your TIPM? Or did you have to find it, crimp and end on it, and connect it to your TIPM?

If you had to find it can you please share how you did that and/or where it was?
I know the wire goes from the outlet in the rear and goes forward, but I have no idea if it goes all the way to the TIPM. My guess is that it goes all the way to the TIPM but does not connect to it, ending somwhere before it. If you already figured this out then you hold the crucial final piece of the puzzle.

I ask because I am fairly certain that mine is not connected due to it being dead (no power registering). From posts that I have read some people have theirs connected (live) and some don't.

Any help you could give is greatly appreciated.
post #19 of 31 Old 08-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Rock God

You know , I am running a separate power wire to the back, 8 gauge to the rear outlet so I can run an inverter or a fridge if I want to. It might be easier just to do that .

CAMOMAN likes this.

post #20 of 31 Old 08-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
OK, then there really is only one last question.

On yours was the wire for the rear outlet already connected to (coming out of) your TIPM? Or did you have to find it, crimp and end on it, and connect it to your TIPM?

If you had to find it can you please share how you did that and/or where it was?
I know the wire goes from the outlet in the rear and goes forward, but I have no idea if it goes all the way to the TIPM. My guess is that it goes all the way to the TIPM but does not connect to it, ending somwhere before it. If you already figured this out then you hold the crucial final piece of the puzzle.

I ask because I am fairly certain that mine is not connected due to it being dead (no power registering). From posts that I have read some people have theirs connected (live) and some don't.

Any help you could give is greatly appreciated.
Mine had no wire in connector C6 for the rear outlet. I went to a junk yard and pulled a wire with the correct terminal to fit cavity 12 in TIPM connector C6.

post #21 of 31 Old 08-06-2017, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ronjenx,
Ah, so you ran that wire you got from the junk yard all the way to the back and spliced it into the plug that was already back there? So you just disregarded the original wire that was connected to the plug and ran a new then?

tapcola,
Oh yeah well I could do that, and I did for a different connection. But this one is different. I'm not really doing this because I "need" a socket per se. I'm doing it more because I found the socket there and figured why not use it? I'm guessing that a lot of people have this socket back there and don't know it. If we could figure out how to connect it easily then that would be very helpful to a lot of people (like me). I mean the socket is already there and it already has a wire connected to it that goes forward; probably all the way to the front. It's probably already grounded properly and factory installed with it's own fuse that is switchable. Pretty neat. All we need do is figure out which wire it is and connect it. I feel I have to at least give it a try. It might be easier that it looks. I mean if the wire is just taped up under the TIPM all I would have to do is connect it to the spot that ronjenx told me to and bam! Powered/switched power outlet.
tapcola likes this.
post #22 of 31 Old 08-06-2017, 04:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
ronjenx,
Ah, so you ran that wire you got from the junk yard all the way to the back and spliced it into the plug that was already back there? So you just disregarded the original wire that was connected to the plug and ran a new then?
Are you reading my posts?
This is from a few posts ago:
"Mine had no wire coming from the TIPM because there was no outlet in the rear."

Which means there was no wire at all, anywhere in the vehicle, for a rear outlet, because my JK came from the factory with no rear outlet.

post #23 of 31 Old 08-10-2017, 05:14 AM
Rock God

So what did you do ?

post #24 of 31 Old 08-10-2017, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Kind of hit a dead end at this point.
So far I ...
1. Double checked the plug to see if it was properly grounded. It appears as though it is.
2. I lifted out the TIPM to see for sure if it was connected. It's not. At least not on my Jeep. I do see online that for some people it is connected. I have not been able to figure out why some people have it connected and others don't. But if you are lucky enough to have it connected then you are GTG. I, unfortunately, am not.
3. I examined the bundle of wires that goes to that block of the TIPM to see if the wire in question was folded up inside the bundle ready to be connected. It isn't there. My theory being that since the plug is back there, if a person goes to a dealer and wants a subwoofer installed, the dealer/tech/mechanic could just connect it. But the wire was not in the bundle. At least not at the top of the bundle.

So at this point I have only one thing left to do. Obviously the wire starts at the plug in the rear and goes forward and stops somewhere. The question is where and why. So I have to follow the wire up to the front and see where that is. My guess is that it stops at the wiring block under the dash on the passenger side. It would make little sense to stop anywhere else. There is a rather large wiring block by the feet of the passenger side that has a large bundle that eventually wraps up and goes through the firewall to the TIPM. My guess is that the wire goes to that block and then is supposed to have another wire coming out of the other side of that block and going to the TIPM fuse M7.

When I get a chance I am going to test that theory and see if it's there. The hard part is just finding out where it ends. Once I find that connecting it will be a piece of cake. My guess is that a Jeep mechanic/tech knows where this is already because, as I said, if he has to install a sub in a customers car he has to know where to connect the wire to. So the info is there. Maybe I'll get lucky and before I do all this one of them will post and let us all know where the wire is which would make it a whole lot easier.

Of course some will say why do this? Just run a new wire! Well yeah, obviously I know that. I am doing it because the wire and factory plug are already there. It's designed from the factory to work this way and I kinda like that. I like solving puzzles. I have the time. It's fun. And if I figure it out a lot of others who read this will be able to easily connect theirs.
tapcola likes this.
post #25 of 31 Old 08-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Rock God

So check it out ,I pulled my interior today and I dont have that plug ! But mine is a 13 .
The power outlet comes off the gray plug and has a harness from the plug .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode