No Start Condition - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ctucker24

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-10-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

No Start Condition

I have been dealing with a No Start Condition for the past 8 months. I've been lurking on this forum since the beginning trying the solutions that others have posted. For that, I would like to say "THANK YOU!!". You all post excellent advice and give great detail for guys like me that have never worked on vehicles before. Unfortunately, none of the solutions have worked for me. Like I said, I have pretty much zero experience working on cars, but thanks to this site I have learned a lot.

So, I have the condition where the Jeep won't start after I have been running errands at various times during the day. It always starts fine first thing in the morning. It originally started doing this in November, but now that I am in the wonderfully hot temps of an Arizona summer (110+ degrees daily) it has gotten worse. It happens every single day. And yes, it is my daily driver. I have an automatic 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4WD and just hit 75,000 miles. When it doesn't start all gauges work including the air conditioning, radio, etc. So the battery is fine. Although I did have it replaced in early December (and just had it checked this weekend). I've tried jiggling the shifter, but that has never worked. Neither has starting it in Neutral.

Here is a list of what I have done (thanks to the advice of you all!):
Batter
Starter (3 times) Also just had it checked this weekend and all is good.
Alternator
Throttle Position Sensor (dealer replaced this "this fixes 99.9% of these issues" NOPE!)
Starter Relays in the fuse box
Added Poison Spyder Hood Louvres to relieve some of the heat trapped in the engine compartment (not overheating, just my thought that it always happens when the engine gets hot from driving around)
Clean all battery connections
Clean ground connections
Add 4 gauge ground from negative battery terminal to alternator
Add 4 gauge ground from negative battery terminal to starter
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Ignition Switch (actuator was not broken, so I didn't replace it)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, thank you for all of your prior help in other threads. Mine just seems like it doesn't want to respond to any of the above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Rock God

Can you be a little more specific about what happens when you turn the key. "It won't start" means different things to different people.

Does it do nothing when you turn the key?
Does it click, then won't crank?
Does it crank, but fails to start and run?

Need more details.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #3 of 14 Old 07-10-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I get a click when I turn the key. Very faint. The engine does not attempt to turn over at all. All the dash lights come on too. You can hear more clicking in the starter relays as well when you turn the key. After I try the jiggling of the gear shifter, you get a more pronounced click coming from the shifter area. But it still doesn't start. The only sound you hear outside of the click is a faint hum, from what I am assuming is the fuel system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Granite Guru

I would try to start it in neutral. If it starts then, it's is probably something with the neutral safety switch.

Hopefully this helps and good luck...

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, and more to come...
post #5 of 14 Old 07-10-2017, 10:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Scarlet View Post
I would try to start it in neutral. If it starts then, it's is probably something with the neutral safety switch.

Hopefully this helps and good luck...
In his first post, he says it won't start even in neutral.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #6 of 14 Old 07-10-2017, 10:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
In his first post, he says it won't start even in neutral.
That's what I get for just skimming through the original post. Ignore me and carry on...

2011 Sahara Tan Rubicon 6 Speed
TR HD17 Beadlocks, BFGoodrich A/T KO2 34x10.50R17, Teraflex HD Tire Carrier, and more to come...
post #7 of 14 Old 07-11-2017, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

what codes are being thrown?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-11-2017, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

You are correct that it does not start in Neutral either. Even after trying to jiggle the shifter tighter into park, starting in neutral or shifting down into drive and all the way back up to Park and trying to start again. The shifter has had no affect on it starting immediately after messing with it.

I have checked for codes throughout the past 8 months and it never throws a code. I'm not seeing any indicator lights come on like the check engine light or anything else either.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-12-2017, 07:45 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Transmission Position Sensor/any wires/relays/fuses that support the feature. That would be my guess...and it's a guess. Jiggling isn't a proven method of testing P9706 might not always pop up. Your running out of options..

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
post #10 of 14 Old 07-12-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! I'll look into the Transmission Position Sensor. I agree that I'm running out of options. I scheduled an appointment with an Electrical Mechanic tomorrow to check all the wiring and connections, etc. He mentioned that he is seeing issues with the TIPM on many Chrysler vehicles. I'm heading out of town for a week and I'm hoping that a week of messing around with it will be enough for him to solve my problems.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-13-2017, 03:21 AM
Rock God

Have you tried holding the shifter forward while trying to start the engine? Just jiggling it doesn't usually work for me. I hold mine forward then turn the key at the same time. Not sure if mine starts in neutral but this trick has 100% success rate on mine and I've had the sensor replaced once already. The second one is doing the same thing after a few years.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-13-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately pushing it into park while starting it doesn't work either. I thought the same thing. I'm going to cram this shifter all the way up so it knows for sure it's in Park. But it didn't work. I'm getting stranded all around town nowadays. It's doing it multiple times a day. Pretty much every time that it hasn't sat for 3 hours or more. I'm taking it in today to an electrical mechanic. Leaving it for a week. I'll keep you all updated. Thanks again!
post #13 of 14 Old 07-13-2017, 02:34 PM

Is there anything else wrong?
Is it a rubicon? Sway bar circuit fried?

I'm sure you looked when you tested your starter; but a friend of mine had a real bad corroded wire going into his starter. Took it to the dealer and they said his starter was fried. I fixed the wire, never had a problem again.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-26-2017, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Well, I just got it back from the electrical mechanic. He WAS able to replicate the issue, which the dealer claims they couldn't. He tested power at various parts of the ignition system and said he had power at all the key places. Meaning that the cables were good, starter, battery and everything else checked good. But he noticed that while testing for power at the ignition fuse, it decreased in power as the engine warmed up. When the engine wouldn't start, the fuse was not generating power. So he pulled the ignition fuse and replaced it. It started fine. Put the old one back in....it wouldn't start. Replaced it again...STARTED!!!

So he looked closely at the ignition fuse and noticed a hairline crack. The fuse itself was not blown, but cracked. So as the temperatures heated up, the crack separated and would not fire. As the engine compartment cooled, so did the fuse, allowing it to fire once again. He said he has probably seen a cracked fuse probably 5 times in his entire career.

So for about a week now after changing the ignition fuse, it has started every time.

Freaking 58 cent part!!!

Thanks for all your help everyone. As for now, hopefully my situation is solved.

Shout out to Lefty's Auto Electric Company in Phoenix, AZ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode