How to add power outlet/USB port? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question How to add power outlet/USB port?

2016 JK
The base JK comes with 1 switched power outlet on the drivers side of the center console and 1 "always hot" outlet inside the center console. Whenever I plug anything into the outlet it sticks towards my knee and it's annoying. I see that the "upper" models have 2 power outlets on the front center console; one on the drivers side by my knee and another one on the passenger side. On my Jeep on the passenger side it only has a clip there where there is an outlet on the upper models.

So my first thought was just to simply switch the cip and the outlet so that the outlet ended up being on the right side and the clip on the left side. But after taking apart the dash it appears as though the holes are different such that swapping them out won't work. The clip socket is not a circle like the lighter/power outlet is.

So my next thought was just to simply add a third outlet myself using a kit or something I could probably buy online or at a parts place, and just run it under the dash or something and plug in whatever hidden. But then I started thinking that these electrical harnesses must be the same on all Jeeps right? I mean it would make sense for them to use the same harness and just add the stuff that plugs in depending on the model you buy. So if that's true then are the plugs already there and all I have to do is buy another outlet and plug it in?

And anyway 99% of what I plug in is USB, so really I should be hardwiring a USB socket in there. Anyone here install a USB socket? Did you use a kit? Got a link?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-09-2017, 11:24 AM
Rock God

On my 14 Rubicon I added a double USB port to the inside of the center counsel. It was fed off the Pioneer head unit I ran in that jeep. I had posted up picks in a thread about car stereo stuff. My 17 has every thing I need and I am leaving the stock system in place for a good while.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

When you say head unit I'm guessing you mean an aftermarket radio that you added?

I'm thinking of taking out the dumb plastic clip and adding something like this ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPSY596?psc=1

or this...

https://www.amazon.com/Hardwire-Smar...XF1WEV23V70MEX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Wheeler

I used a rocker switch and wired it directly. I have the Daystar panel that goes below the A/C knobs.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-10-2017, 06:43 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

weird, my sport (base) has the power outlet on the passenger side.
Worse case you can take out the assembly and move it to the passenger side.

This is my Signature
post #6 of 7 Old 07-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Rock God

My 2012 JKUR has the 12V inside the console, the 120V plug on the center console, and another 12V switched power port by the passenger side. I wanted 2 x 2A ports there, since, like you, 99% of what I do is USB based, and I use an inverter off my battery when I need a plug (never really need one when driving). So instead of wiring a bunch of stuff up, I just bought one of these. Doesn't really stick out and works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its out of stock but you can probably find several items just like it if you search a bit.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 AM
Wheeler

Good Day

I installed a power inverter under the passenger seat that had three outlets and a USB. Ran an extension to get it to the dash to use.
They are not as expensive as they were 5 years ago. Check Harbor Freight as they sell different models. Easiest thing would be an inverter that plugs into the lighter - one for a plug and USB combo.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 Door
Treks Rear Shock Relocators
MOPAR Extended Rubicon Rock Rails
Expedition One Front Skid
Kilby Muffler Skid
Rockhard 4x4 Belly Skid & Evap Skid
Olympic Receiver Hitch Front Bumper
Tuffy Stereo Lock
Cobra 75 CB
Cooltech CB Antenna & Mount
Kilby Switch Panel
1500 Watt Power Inverter
Glow Lights Footwell Lights
OK Offroad Fuse Box
Front & Rear ARB Lockers
5.13 Gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode