Mopar Production Fog Lamp Kit Installed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 08-30-2010, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Angry Mopar Production Fog Lamp Kit Installed

Just installed the Mopar Production Fog Lamp Kit for JK Wrangler. It was a pain but everything worked out. The last page of the install says I have to take the truck to the dealer and update the vehicle's computer to enable system functionality. The fog lights currently will not turn on. I called my local dealer today and they want $100 to plug my car in and do the update. This freakin' sucks!! I already coughed up over $100 for the lamps, harness and stalk. Does anyone know if there's a way around this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

call a different dealer... my dealer does these updates for free for me and Im out of warranty.....

no jeep here...
post #3 of 19 Old 08-30-2010, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Called another dealer they want $150! Hahaha! What a joke. These fog lamps are going to be for decoration only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

Did you buy the fog lights at "your" dealer?
If not, you did not give them their $hare, and they take it back with the programmation...

If you did buy the lights over there, then they're not cool.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-30-2010, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I undertand that would be the dealership's reasoning but I bought the kit from a mopar parts dealer. If the kit has to be installed by a dealer to get the function out of it then dealers should be the only ones able to sell it. $100-150 to push a couple of buttons is outrageous. They are "not cool" either way.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
If the kit has to be installed by a dealer to get the function out of it then dealers should be the only ones able to sell it.
Similar goes with the Bluetooth U-Connect kits...
You can get them everywhere and you need to get it activated by your dealer...
(at least for the 2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
$100-150 to push a couple of buttons is outrageous. They are "not cool" either way.
Absolutely true!!!
post #7 of 19 Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to sickchilly Send a message via Skype™ to sickchilly

The most I've been charged for a StarScan treatment is a half hour labor which is about $50 with tax around here.

2007 Jeep Green Rubicon 4-door with various bits 'n pieces... broken in but not even finished!
post #8 of 19 Old 08-30-2010, 01:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sucks and it seems high but it still takes a tech's time to do it and some dealers seem really proud of that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post
The most I've been charged for a StarScan treatment is a half hour labor which is about $50 with tax around here.
My dealer charges $90.00, that's why I'm holding out for the procal or superchips to recalibrate tire size.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Wheeler

A good option would be to find a tech in the forums or service guy that is able to do it at a discount. Because walk in with that to my service department they'll charge a $100 to do it as well. All dealers will charge because they paid $$$ to train all those technicians. Good luck!

Travis or Brett
Airpark Dodge Ram Chrysler Jeep
480-556-7480
Connect with us on:

/

post #10 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

its all about finding the right dealer. i did a factory foglight install on the wife's Challenger. $36... 1/2 hour on the starscan. alot of times, if you talk to the service manager, explain what you need and fully explain that you know what it entails, they sometimes dont try to screw you like a dumb blonde chick.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #11 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I would sneak out back and offer a tech $20!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #12 of 19 Old 09-01-2010, 05:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I would sneak out back and offer a tech $20!

Jason
Yeah, interesting option right there...
post #13 of 19 Old 09-03-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well I bit the bullet and took the Jeep to Butler Jeep. Jeff at Wyckoff Parts recommended them and they did the service for $50. I was told it would be a 1/2 hour for labor and a 1/2 wait because I was the 6th person there. 25 minutes later the Jeep was ready. Amazing isn't it? $50 for 5 minutes work! Boy, training those techs really pays off for the dealers!! Luckily I did a fantastic install (pats own back) and my fog lights look great so even though it cost me more than I expected I think the end result was worth it.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Rock God

I'd like to meet the "engineer" that decided it was a good idea to use the ecm to control fog lights and not putting a button on the dash to work the lights like every other car has them.

Wrangler Mountain Edition

Rock Krawler Synergy JKS LoD Goodyear
post #15 of 19 Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Rock God

They go off when the hi beams are on guess you need the comp to do that
post #16 of 19 Old 09-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Wheeler

the choice to go computerized with all lighting systems and such is not a jab at do it yourselfers.. it is done to save on physical wiring in the jeep and also as a safety feature....

when building a jeep accessory harnesses are localized and can be added easily for say power package, fogs, u-connect, remote start, etc.. wiothout having to install a completely different core wiring harness in the jeep at build time...

not enabling uninstalled systems helps to prevent ghost codes from being set if a line or input were to "float" to an "on"-level when it shouldnt be on the network....

safety-wise circuits can disable themselves on unusual current or resistance situations.. such as a crash where the lights are all broken up.. little sparks could occur from the broken bulbs to the metal(not a dead short that would blow a fuse)... if any fuel was preset.. there's a fire.. the computer sees unusual resistance / current pull and cancels power to that circuit.....

reason for 1/2 hour when it takes 5 minutes?? techs are getting payes by the hour often in a shop, as are service writers, cashiers, etc. its not just 5 minutes of time that goes into that starscan to add a sales code and then turn up the fogs...

there is the paper, the time for the service writer to write you up.. the time for the tech to drive the jeep out of the bay and get the next jeep in to get styarted on.. the tech filling out the paperwork, the cashier cashing you out... all costs the dealer money... so they typically have a 1/2 hour minimum charge.....

-Christopher

2010 sport 2 door auto - creature comforts

Jeep Memories:
76 Cherokee Chief - Got Rusty (sold)
97 TJ Sahara - Rocked, Sanded, Mudded, Snowed, Sunk (sold)
00 TJ Sport - Mudded, Snowed, rolled in a snow drift no damage except top (sold)
02 TJ Sport - Mudded a little (sold)
06 TJ Golden eagle - Mudded a tad not enough cargo room(sold)
08 JK 4 dr X red rock - Never Wheeled - Lemon Law'd
09 JK 4 dr X black - 6 sp, - Sold
post #17 of 19 Old 09-12-2010, 08:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My Jeep was throwing a code the other day... i disconnected the battery to reset everything. The dealer called the next day and said I was due for my 1st service... only at 6000 kms??? Anyway I told them what had happened and they told me to bring it in. So... off to the dealership I go, one of the service ladies came out and greeted me and she asked what I was in for... I told her and what I did, she proceeded to tell me that if they don't find anything that it would be a $180. I thanked her for being honest and backed out of the bay.

So, can someone explain why it would take $180 FUCKING dollars to tell me nothings wrong?

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Rock God

Time simple time...
The product they are selling is essentially time.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-13-2010, 06:39 AM
Granite Guru

B.S.

It may be time to start looking into my own starscan

I bet you can do all kinds of stuff that the dealer won't even tell you about with it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chrys...ht_8492wt_1167
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode