HELP: how to wire this switch? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-01-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

HELP: how to wire this switch?

Hi
I've just purchased a bunch of these switches to power my LED lights. Trouble is, I can't figure out how to wire them. I have four wires: 1) 12v positive from battery 2) 12v positive dimmable from dash illumination 3) common ground 4) load wire going to LED.
http://a.co/2e9yzRL

I think this switch doesn't do what I want. What do you thing? It seems to switch a negative and I assume the dimmable dash is a positive. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Last edited by mozzer502; 06-01-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Wheeler

Garage

That switch uses 2 grounds and 1 hot(battery) and 1 switched hot(load). 1)Switched power to load 2)Battery 3)Ground 4)Ground
The switch LED's might not be dimmable.
The switch is only rated at 20A, depending on the lightbar you may need to add a relay(probably a good thing to do anyway)

11 JKUR Auto, RIPP SC, Body Armor bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic line,XRC Rear Bumper W/carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, 10lb CO2, Metalcloak 3.5 springs, Synergy track bar,drag link flip-Tie Rod, control arms and Ball Joints, C-gusset and sleeved, RuffStuff Diff. covers, FOX W\res shocks, Barricade Flat Fenders, 37 12.50\17 BFG KO2, 5.38 Motive gears, Uniden 520xl CB, Yaesu FT7900, Teraflex Big Rotors, Diablo Intune, Dynomax RC exhaust Redneck Ram. W3JEP San Diego Jeep Club-Gulf War Vet. USAF
post #3 of 8 Old 06-01-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So you agree that this is the wrong switch for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Wheeler

Garage

In that configuration no, you cannot dim your power source.
Take the Dimmer out and it will work depending on the lightbar wattage

11 JKUR Auto, RIPP SC, Body Armor bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic line,XRC Rear Bumper W/carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, 10lb CO2, Metalcloak 3.5 springs, Synergy track bar,drag link flip-Tie Rod, control arms and Ball Joints, C-gusset and sleeved, RuffStuff Diff. covers, FOX W\res shocks, Barricade Flat Fenders, 37 12.50\17 BFG KO2, 5.38 Motive gears, Uniden 520xl CB, Yaesu FT7900, Teraflex Big Rotors, Diablo Intune, Dynomax RC exhaust Redneck Ram. W3JEP San Diego Jeep Club-Gulf War Vet. USAF
post #5 of 8 Old 06-02-2017, 08:50 AM
JKO Addict!

The 12 volt dim-able wire would be to power the light on the switch so it is illuminated at night. A relay has nothing to do with overloading a circuit, if you are worried about overload then a fuse or circuit breaker at the battery connection it what you should use.

After looking at the actual switch, the switch itself has two LED indicator lights in it and will power one light.

Hook two wires to the battery side with a fuse and the light to the load end. The illumination (dimmer) wire to the dash. The diagram is not correct and does not show the illumination wire. Yo must also ground the load which can be just to the mounting bracket.

This switch should work fine for what you are doing.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by thedirtman; 06-02-2017 at 09:02 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-02-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yeah that's what I figured but the fact that the switch has 2 GNDs is confusing. I was expecting 1 GND, 2 power, and one load.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-02-2017, 09:06 AM
JKO Addict!

The second ground is just to handle the illumination led on the switch when you turn the lights on. The diagram should have the illumination wire connect to where the R2 is. If you hooked it up like the diagram shows your illumination light would always be on. There is also no switch at LED 2 as the switch to that light would be the light switch in the vehicle. Typical wrong instructions from China.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link

Last edited by thedirtman; 06-02-2017 at 09:10 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-06-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Works perfectly

Once I realized that you can switch a GND as simply as a +ve with a relay this switch worked perfectly. Thanks for all the help.

As you can see from the pictures on this thread, I have 5 of them: 4 in the OEM console and one near the shift stick.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/electr...ml#post4244506
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode