Help with Sound System - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-28-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Help with Sound System

I am a complete newbie when it comes to car audio. I have a JK 08 and was wondering how or if it is possible to hook up an amplifier and Subs to the factory head unit.
I want to keep the factory speakers too but want to add the two subs with the amplifier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm assuming that you have a non amplified system, IE no stock subwoofer. You are going to need a line out converter that you will attach to the speaker wires coming from the deck and that will transfer to a line level suitable for an amplifier through RCA style connections.

Here's one:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...CBcQ8wIwATgA#p

After that, you hook everything up normally like you would with any subwoofer system.Oh ya, make sure the line out converter has the 12v trigger/pwr ant wire to turn the amp on. If it doesn't, your amp will not come on automatically

My sig is HUGE in Japan
post #3 of 9 Old 08-29-2010, 08:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

crutchfield.com they'll have the answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Granite Guru

JBL MS-8

This is a processor that accepts speaker level inputs from an OEM system... then hook up your favorite amps, separates and subs... your rockin'

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Prosperity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-29-2010, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Question

Thanks guys i looked everywhere for an answer to that. i'm thinking about getting this amp/speaker kit. Does any one have any objections to this...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lanzar-3100W-Amp...item53e32f12ab

Last edited by moose1993; 08-29-2010 at 12:02 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Wheeler

Lanzar is complete and total dog sh1t. They sell that crap in truckstops. Like the other guy said, check Crutchfield. Decent prices, and great products. They can also tell you exactly what you need to do what you want to do.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 AM
JKO Addict!

yup thats crap.
Stay away from ebay.
Buy new if you can, otherwise check craigslist.
Stick with the big names, kicker, jbl, jl, rockford, memphis, etc

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #8 of 9 Old 11-07-2010, 07:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
Stay away from ebay.
granted, ebay isnt like it used to be... but if you know how to use it and know your chit, you should ignore this comment.

i have yet to have a bad buying experience on ebay. last two recent purchases were a NIB jl audio cleansweep($200) and alpine pdx-5($285.70) both prices include shipping, both include everything as if it were new.

and ive recently sold a JL 500/1 and 300/4 for $282.50.

the above is most likely irrelevant.
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, abendx is my hero, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK, JKO
post #9 of 9 Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Granite Guru

I can sell you a 10W3v3 4 ohm sub if you are near florida. brand new, never used. Came in a Stealthbox for a friends F150 and we replaced wiht a 2 ohm before install.

but as the others said keep it with big names and you shouldnt go wrong. Crutchfield has GREAT support and is more than helpful with any question you may have . . .well worth the $$ as i know they're a little more costly but they do include step by step instructions and everything you need (speaker adapters if needed, wiring diagrams, etc)

2009, 2 Door X, Rancho 4" Sport Lift w/ 9000xl shocks, 35" Firestone Destination MTR on Spidertrax spacers Bulldog Front Bumper w/XRC8 Winch, LoD Rear Bumper, FinishLineWest Rock Sliders, 5.13 G2's, ARB Rear diff cover, LineX'd tub, JL Clean Sweep, JL 900/5 Amp, JL C5 components in front, JL Marine MX-770's in soundbar, JL FS-110 Marine sub, Tuffy security deck, HID's in Cibie's, Piaa 520s
jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler

Last edited by DanNEBTD; 11-07-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode