Warn VR8000 Winch motor ground issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Warn VR8000 Winch motor ground issue

Installed a Warn VR8000 to the JKU this week. Mounted a rock hard winch plate to the frame/stock bumper - to make things easier I mounted the winch to the plate before bolting the plate to the frame, then reattached the bumper and mounted and wired the solenoid to the winch.

Now I see a "motor ground" wire that was not specified in the instructions when mounting. After some digging, Warn recommends running the motor ground from the solenoid pack to the post underneath the winch motor, however, now that the winch is mounted to the plate there isn't enough room to unfasten the bolt from the post underneath the motor and fasten the motor ground wire to the post.

There's no way I'm disassembling everything to get to that post underneath the motor so that I can fasten that ground, so what are my options? From reading, I've seen that people have grounded the winch motor all the way to the battery, but the motor ground wire is only about 12 inches long.

Can i just fasten the motor ground to another bolt on the motor casing? Or do I need to splice the motor ground with longer wire and run it all the way to the battery? My reading has told me that grounding the motor ground to the bumper or jeep frame is a no no, for obvious reasons.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
Installed a Warn VR8000 to the JKU this week. Mounted a rock hard winch plate to the frame/stock bumper - to make things easier I mounted the winch to the plate before bolting the plate to the frame, then reattached the bumper and mounted and wired the solenoid to the winch.

Now I see a "motor ground" wire that was not specified in the instructions when mounting. After some digging, Warn recommends running the motor ground from the solenoid pack to the post underneath the winch motor, however, now that the winch is mounted to the plate there isn't enough room to unfasten the bolt from the post underneath the motor and fasten the motor ground wire to the post.

There's no way I'm disassembling everything to get to that post underneath the motor so that I can fasten that ground, so what are my options? From reading, I've seen that people have grounded the winch motor all the way to the battery, but the motor ground wire is only about 12 inches long.

Can i just fasten the motor ground to another bolt on the motor casing? Or do I need to splice the motor ground with longer wire and run it all the way to the battery? My reading has told me that grounding the motor ground to the bumper or jeep frame is a no no, for obvious reasons.

Thanks!
I assume you already have a battery cable going from that stud on the bottom of the motor to the battery ground (which you should), and you just need to add the smaller motor ground cable for the control pack, correct?

If that is the case, the "motor ground" cable from the solenoid control pack is just called that because it is intended to get its ground from the motor ground point. It does not act as the ground for the motor itself (the motor should be connected directly to the battery with a cable). That wire is only to give a ground path to the solenoid pack control power. It will only have the amperage from the control coils on it (not the motor). You could extend it to the battery, or you could probably safely get ground for that circuit from the frame nearby (if done properly).
post #3 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

BigTB that's exactly right - the back 2 gauge cable is routed to my battery. All that's left is that small motor ground cable.

So the next question is, where do I mount it? I'd rather not run it all the way to the battery because it's going to be a pain - plus I'm at Great Sand Dunes this weekend and I'm fixin to get stuck so I'm hoping to get this resolved this afternoon.

Could I just ground it to another bolt on the motor case or a bracket on the radiator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
BigTB that's exactly right - the back 2 gauge cable is routed to my battery. All that's left is that small motor ground cable.

So the next question is, where do I mount it? I'd rather not run it all the way to the battery because it's going to be a pain - plus I'm at Great Sand Dunes this weekend and I'm fixin to get stuck so I'm hoping to get this resolved this afternoon.

Could I just ground it to another bolt on the motor case or a bracket on the radiator?
While not ideal, as long as you use a spot with a good, clean chassis ground I think it would work OK (radiator bracket or similar could work, as long as it isn't a painted part, bolted to a painted part, etc.). If you have issues with inconsistent operation, you may need to find a better ground. But I bet it will work fine. If the case of the motor is grounded through the stud via your main wire ground wire to the battery, then another motor case bolt would probably work well. If not, then it will depend on how well the motor case is grounded through the rest of the winch, etc.

Edit: Just a thought. If you can loosen the nut/bolt on the bottom, but just can't remove it all the way, you could cut the ring terminal on that wire to make it a "fork" terminal and slip it into place. Then just tighten it back down. Wouldn't have to remove it all the way. If there isn't enough room to even get it loose, then disregard.

Last edited by BigTB; 05-25-2017 at 02:05 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks man! Will do some experimenting tonight.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 03:04 PM
Rock God

I did the same thing mounted my winch on the rockhard4x4 winch plate with stock bumper and trust me you can get it but it aint easy. a long thin wrench ala snapon will help. It probably took 1/2 hour but it is doable.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Haha good to hear Jadmt I'll eventually go at it. In the meantime I fastened it underneath one of the long screws on the left hand side (facing the winch) of the motor case. Threw the controller on the solenoid and pulsed it a couple times to make sure she took and it had power. It started pouring rain simultaneously so I couldn't have any fun with it, will have to wait until tom. Appreciate the input!
post #8 of 8 Old 05-27-2017, 08:56 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

OP just take it apart and do it right. When I mounted my front bumper and winch I had to take it on and off 3 separate times. It happens, it sucks but you want to do it right. Don't want any electrical issues when it comes to your winch.

This is my Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode