FACTORY FOG LIGHT SWITCH WIRING ISSUE - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-12-2017, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

FACTORY FOG LIGHT SWITCH WIRING ISSUE

I have a 16 Rubicon Hard Rock. I replaced fact fogs with a set of 4300 lumen per light Bajas. I want to wire them to my factory sw. Factory leads are + & - as are the Bajas. When I connect the leads and use the factory sw the lights do not come on. When reconnect them to the supplied sw they work. Reconnect them to factory leads, nothing? Tried switching leads still nothing. Checked positive factory lead for power with simple test light and there is power to the factory lead. What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Rock God

The fog lights are not connected to the switch in the cab, if that is what you are thinking. The Steering Control Module (SCM) monitors a hard wired multiplex input from the left multi-function switch to determine whether the fog lamps are selected, then sends an electronic front fog lamp switch status message to the instrument cluster over the Local Interface Network (LIN) data bus and the cluster relays an electronic front fog lamp request message to the TIPM over the CAN data bus.

When the TIPM receives a front fog lamp request message it then controls front fog lamp operation by controlling a battery voltage output through high side drivers (MOSFET) on right and left fog lamp feed circuits. The TIPM also sends the appropriate electronic message back to the cluster to illuminate or extinguish the front fog lamp indicator. In certain markets where required, the TIPM will automatically de-energize the front fog lamps any time the headlamp high beams are selected.

The MOSFET mentioned above monitors the fog lamp circuit for higher load than the factory lights require, and will shut the circuit off when it sees a higher draw.

I'm not real clear on how you connected the new lights. Does any of the info above seem like it has something to do with the issue you have?

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #3 of 8 Old 05-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Rock God

Technical info above.......Basically, you'll want to run a relay off the harness to trigger your Baja lights. I believe you should also run a diode to prevent feedback to the canbus system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-13-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Not as simple as I thought. I removed the fact fogs and installed the Bajas. Then connected the harness to the battery and ran the sw into the cab. Lights work as they should but I have to remember to turn them off. I thought I could use the fog sw thats part of the fact light/turn signal stalk,but that does not seem to be an option. I was trying to simplify things.

Thank you for your input.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-13-2017, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

So the Bajas have a relay between the cab sw and the battery/light harness. I'm not clear which harness you mean. If it's the factory harness doesn't it already have a relay built in? If it does have a relay then you are suggesting to add another relay? If that correct at what point along the factory harness would I splice in the additional relay? As you can tell this is not my area of expertise.

Thank you for your input.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-13-2017, 04:09 PM
Rock God

Do yourself a huge favor. Pick up some KC Gravity fogs. Plug and play. Installed mine into a 17 Hard Rock Bumper which required additional mounting brackets.

The light output is amazing and very easy...
post #7 of 8 Old 05-14-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

*Disclaimer: KC Jeep JK Fog Light Systems are not compatible with 2013 Jeep JK Anniversary Edition and 2015-2016 Rubicon Hard Rock Edition Models
post #8 of 8 Old 11-05-2017, 03:16 PM

I had the same issue with KC Hilites

I bought the KC apollo 6" 100 watters. They would instantly trip the canbus. I got a couple H3 55w halogens and swapped them in and have not had one problem since. And they run off of the factory switch, no other relay involved. Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode