I need recommendations on a new Double Din head unit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I need recommendations on a new Double Din head unit

What did you buy and why.

Thanks

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-02-2017, 10:13 AM
Granite Guru

Subb'ed - I'm looking at the Sony AX100 myself. Not quite ready to pull the trigger (trying to figure out how to maximise my current UConnect features)
https://www.quadratec.com/p/sony/xav...ep-wrangler-jk

What are you looking for? Nav? DVD? IOS/Android compatibility? BT? Rear Camera? Multiple Cameras? Off-brand OK? Budget? How much of an audiophile are you?

Dustin Tarditi
Haddonfield, NJ
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
post #3 of 8 Old 05-02-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I know I want DVD and rear camera. Other than that I just wanted to see what others were getting. I have always favored pioneer brands but want to see what else was available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Rock God

I have been up and down with audio upgrades on various Jk's I have owned. Started with a Pioneer BHS 5600 was not bad had all the features I wanted at the time. I went a Kenwood DNN radio( not sure of model but do not recommend it had the slowest boot time I have ever seen.) from there went back to a Pioneer AVH NEX 4100 ( 4200) is current model. Very happy over all with unit, had the add on nav unit for it and it worked pretty well once I got used to the interface on the Nav.

The 2017 has the factory Nav head unit and with the upgraded sound, which I also had in previous vehicles 2010 and 2014. The new sub gives a lot more base then the previous units did. I will retain the factory head unit for a good while as it uses garmin navigation which is what I prefer, and was the reason I had swapped to kenwood.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-04-2017, 07:14 AM
Granite Guru

I pulled the trigger - got the AX100 - got good reviews, had all the features I wanted. Got it through crutchfield - while not the cheapest price, their support can't be beat.

Dustin Tarditi
Haddonfield, NJ
post #6 of 8 Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarditi View Post
I pulled the trigger - got the AX100 - got good reviews, had all the features I wanted. Got it through crutchfield - while not the cheapest price, their support can't be beat.
Post pics when installed. I love the look and interface of this unit, but I can't get over the fact that it wont support Sirius satellite radio.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-04-2017, 09:04 AM
Granite Guru

Will do. That wasn't a major hurdle for me - I kept renewing my siriusxm that I got with the JKUR, but really only listen to a couple channels... I'm better off with GoogleMusic (premium paid) as well as Spotify and Pandora personally.

It all started with my investigation into how to get a rear camera hooked up nicely... then I have my Garmin GPS on top of the dash, and it's a little bit of a hassle... and my head unit doesn't show all the track data I would like... and it's an expensive solution to a few minor annoyances, but I think it'll be good in the end.

Dustin Tarditi
Haddonfield, NJ
post #8 of 8 Old 08-10-2017, 01:45 PM

I didn't want to put a lot of cash in the sound system but wanted it to sound better than the stock
non-amplified system in my 2009 Unlimited X.
I got a Sony WX 900BT double-din Head Unit, two Kicker 6.5" midbass speakers for the front pods,
Kicker Tweets to replace the stock Tweeters, 6.5" Kicker two-way speakers for the Soundbar, a Dual
DA6002D Class D Amp for the Subwoofer, which is a Dual SBX 100 10" Subwoofer Box.
Got the Sony, and Speakers from Best Buy because they will price match many other dealers (saved $70)
Got the Dual Amp and Subwoofer on special deal at Autozone for $39.99 and $29.99 respectively.
It sounds pretty good and the sub sounds great with punchy and low bass music.
Over all I have a total of about $240 in it all! That includes the Dash bezel kit, data adapter and antenna
adapter for the Radio. Plus the Radio had a deal that included a free Sirius XM Receiver!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode