Speaker upgrade sounds worse ... :( - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Phil Jones
  • 2 Post By Phil Jones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-30-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Speaker upgrade sounds worse ... :(

So I bought a pair of Kicker KSS65 because my left Infinity speaker had busted. I had to splice the wiring because i had no adapters. I did the install, but BOTH speakers sound like CRAP They distort as soon as I put the volume to normal listening. I have preveously upgraded HU to a JVC KW-V320BT. Wiring was quite simple, i dont know where i could have gone wrong...!

The new speakers came with crossovers. Could that be the issue ? I have bypassed original wiring and used the new wiring that came in the box to be able to use the crossovers, but should I simply use original wiring and nevermind the crossovers ?

Please help !
JK in SC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-30-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Seems as though the crossovers are 4 ohm, and the amp is 2 ohm... Right ? Could that be the problem ?
post #3 of 10 Old 04-30-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

This is a video of what both speakers sound like :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-30-2017, 10:15 PM
Rock God

Garage

Did you double check polarity?

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-01-2017, 01:45 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

My first thought, definitely your music choice, surely! Then I remembered that Jeep audio is horrible unless you spend a lot of time and money upgrading things. The head unit is not the problem. The speakers are not the problem. The impedance rating is not the problem. The vehicle in question is the problem. The cheap POS plastic pods Jeep calls a front speaker location is a joke. I did two layers of SecondSkin Damplifier Pro inside those stupid enclosures and still had muddy, sad bass. Even with an aftermarket head unit and true 2 ohm drivers. (Add in the weak 26ga factory wiring and you actually end up 3.89 ohms at the head unit.)

The reality - I sound dampened both the pods and the sound bar and then crossed them over at 100hz and then installed a Polk DB DVC 8"sub and a Fosgate amp and even then, it wasn't awesome. It was ho hum. If you want to experience anything resembling music quality, you will need to install drivers and amplification that can move some air. You won't get real sound quality and full range with the cheap plastic factory enclosures that the front and rear speakers sit inside. Get ready to keep upgrading now.

Just my .02...

For giggles, mine never farted...
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-02-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply -- and the fart jokes.

I totally understand what you are saying about the cheap enclosures. I have stuffed them with polyfill. The wiring is the wiring from the speaker manufacterer, I have bypassed the original and spliced them together, though.

Thing is, if you say the cheap enclosures, wouldnt it be distorting and rattle from everywhere ? Because in my case, the speaker itself is making the noise, there is no rattle other than that. Another thing I have noticed, is that when I do crossover too 100hz, the noise dissapears. But when I pump up the volume, all speakers seem to distort and have poor quality sound...

But the original infinity speakers used to sound pretty good !!!! This is why it is so frustrating, I did a simple switcharoo and the new speakers sound WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY worse than the original ???
post #7 of 10 Old 05-02-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Crutchfield.com : "The factory front speakers are oversized 6-3/4", 4-ohm GM/Chrysler units"

Therefore I shouldn't be limited to 2ohm speakers finally...?
post #8 of 10 Old 05-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Granite Guru

This is kind of funny, one guy doesn't understand how a "cheap plastic container" can affect the quality of the sound, and another guy who thinks Jeep should have made the sound bar out of something other then plastic. Like any other manufacture would have used something else.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-02-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Well, first of all, why post a reply if it wont be constructive. I think you may have better things to do, like your income taxes or cut the dead tree in your yard that you have been setting back every once in a while. Listen, I know a cheap plastic enclosure can result in poor sound; but not make it distort in the way it is actually doing. Any ideas instead of b**ching around would be quite appreciated
Banshee and Treader like this.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-10-2017, 01:33 PM

I Replaced the original speakers in the pods with the kickers like yours. Added polyfill and ran separate wiring
to each speaker from the Sony Head Unit I had installed. At first, the speakers sounded a little like yours.
I read on a post somewhere, that the Kickers would "Break-in" in a few days and they actually did. They sound better
than the original now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode