Permanent GPS mount location? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to techpimp Send a message via Skype™ to techpimp
Permanent GPS mount location?

I don't know if I am alone here, but here is the scenario...

On more than one occasion I've had my suction cup mount for my GPS come loose on left turns, sending the GPS flying into the passenger door before falling to the floorboards. The first thought that comes to mind is, "Thank God I had decided not to take my doors off!".

Seriously, I spend so much time with my top down in rainy Florida I splurged on purchasing a more expensive Garmin waterproof model and it would be all too ironic to lose the device providing directions while following those directions.

So, I am looking into some type of screw mounting device for it. However, before I go putting holes into my dashboard I'd rather ask the community where they mounted their GPS and by what means to see if there are any cool setups I might not have already thought of. People around here tend to come up with some very cool DIY ideas in their Jeeps...

Anyone out there install a more permanent mount for their GPS in their Jeeps? Where? Have a pic of how it looks in that location?

Chris Casey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Rock God

It's hard for me to explain but I drilled my Daystar organizer. With one screw and took apart the factory mount and it is just about perfect for me. I'll try and snap a picture tonight so you can get the idea.

Jeremey

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 01:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Have you ever looked in ram mounts. They have this new one that utilizes the mirror mount and make specific gps holders.

Im getting mine today and i was having the same problem with my suction cup, hopefully this is the solution.

http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts...8/Default.aspx

Miami4X4 is a vendor of these - MannyLx450, its a start.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Rock God

I forgot I could use my cell phone. I don't actually have my GPS with me but I think this shows your main concern. I put the screw up in the bottom and then super glued and JB welded it in. It works perfect for me.

Jeremey

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #5 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Granite Guru

I've often thought about using the suction cup base on my garmin and screwing it to the daystar dash panel as well. Seems like an ideal place for it.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 02:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
Have you ever looked in ram mounts. They have this new one that utilizes the mirror mount and make specific gps holders.

Im getting mine today and i was having the same problem with my suction cup, hopefully this is the solution.

http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts...8/Default.aspx
x2 on the Ram Mount. I currently use it for both my Garmin & my iPhone. I use the suction cup windshield mount for for the Garmin and the Ram Mount does an exceptionally good job at keeping it firmly mounted. What I like most about the Ram Mount systems is that they're modular, so when you inevitably upgrade your unit, all you do is buy one new piece for 10 or 15 bux without having to replace all the other hardware. And like I said, since it is a modular system, if you want to change up the mounting solution in your vehicle OR incorporate it to other modes of transportation (mountain bike/motorcycle/4 wheeler/side by side) all you do is buy the pieces and parts to do so without having to buy the entirely new set up.

Now I had gone direct to the company that sells the Ram Mounts and have nothing buy good things to say about they service they provide. In the event you choose Ram Mount for your mounting solution, regardless of where you decide to go to make that purchase, you'll be exceptionally happy with the quality of the product.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-23-2010, 03:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
x2 on the Ram Mount. I currently use it for both my Garmin & my iPhone. I use the suction cup windshield mount for for the Garmin and the Ram Mount does an exceptionally good job at keeping it firmly mounted. What I like most about the Ram Mount systems is that they're modular, so when you inevitably upgrade your unit, all you do is buy one new piece for 10 or 15 bux without having to replace all the other hardware. And like I said, since it is a modular system, if you want to change up the mounting solution in your vehicle OR incorporate it to other modes of transportation (mountain bike/motorcycle/4 wheeler/side by side) all you do is buy the pieces and parts to do so without having to buy the entirely new set up.

Now I had gone direct to the company that sells the Ram Mounts and have nothing buy good things to say about they service they provide. In the event you choose Ram Mount for your mounting solution, regardless of where you decide to go to make that purchase, you'll be exceptionally happy with the quality of the product.

Yeah, What he said X 2.

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!
post #8 of 18 Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Granite Guru

Here is the mount that goes behind the radio.

Rescue Green 08 4 door
Rusty's 3.25 coils
JKS rear adjustable track bar
JKS front adjustable track bar
Teraflex adjustable lower control arms
Teraflex steering stablizer
Rough Country 2.2 shocks
Spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers
BFG 315/70/17 All terrian's
MBRP light bar
KC slim driving lights
Rugged Ridge tail light guards
Rugged Ridge fuel door cover
Rugged Ridge wheels
Smittybuilt XRC 8 winch
Smittybuilt XRC front bumper
Smittybuilt XRC rear bumper/Tire carrier
post #9 of 18 Old 08-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
Here is the mount that goes behind the radio.
I have this same thing.. I have been thinking about sticking some velcro to it and also to the back of whatever I want to put on it.....

no jeep here...
post #10 of 18 Old 08-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer83l View Post
I have this same thing.. I have been thinking about sticking some velcro to it and also to the back of whatever I want to put on it.....
I cut the suction cup off and drilled a couple holes through the plastic mounting piece and bolted it on the mount so it stays on on bumpy roads. You could do this with other brackets also.

Rescue Green 08 4 door
Rusty's 3.25 coils
Rough Country 2.2 shocks
MBRP light bar
KC slim driving lights
Rugged Ridge wheels
Smittybuilt XRC 8 winch
post #11 of 18 Old 08-25-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to techpimp Send a message via Skype™ to techpimp

Thats two great ideas now!

Where did the behind the radio bracket come from?

Chris Casey
post #12 of 18 Old 08-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by techpimp View Post
Thats two great ideas now!

Where did the behind the radio bracket come from?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17017_005.htm

Rescue Green 08 4 door
Rusty's 3.25 coils
Rough Country 2.2 shocks
MBRP light bar
KC slim driving lights
Rugged Ridge wheels
Smittybuilt XRC 8 winch
post #13 of 18 Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 PM

GPS Overhead Mount

This setup is for my back up GPS. It turns on when i start my Jeep. I had the power routed to my secondary cigarette plug on my overhead console. I can also turn them on and off from my sPod switches. My receiver comes with GPS ready but I don't want the interruption of the GPS voice while i'm listening to my music.
Attached Images

post #14 of 18 Old 12-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Wheeler

Hope you don't mind me asking but, what overhead console is that?......
post #15 of 18 Old 12-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Rock God

This was my GPS mount. I have since swapped out the GPS holder for an iphone holder after the GPS was stolen.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83200
post #16 of 18 Old 12-15-2013, 03:09 AM

It's the Trailmax Overhead console. It's cheap, but not very durable. Good thing about it is you can easily mount other accessories as this console is made out of plastic
post #17 of 18 Old 12-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

coolest thing i've seen was a ram mount for handlebars clamped to the rearview mirror stalk.

found via google

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane

Last edited by b1pig; 12-15-2013 at 11:13 AM.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Granite Guru

I used the this mount in my JK and like it. I picked up a Gamin universal ball mount for about 3 bucks somewhere online to use with it. No drilling or cutting required. I secures using the two screw that hold the radio into the dash on the passenger side.

Here's a few shitty cell phone pics.

2010 JK - Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel Kit - Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks - 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers - Genright Aluminum Tire Carrier - Poison Spyder Front and Rear BFH Bumpers - Warn M8000 - VKS Fab Sliders - Offroad Evolution Full Skids - Teraflex Sleeves - ARTEC Truss - EVO C Gussets - Synergy Bumpstops - JKS Control Arm Skids - Rigid 10" E-Series Light Bar and SRM Backup Lights - ARB Compressor w/ 5 Gallon Viair Tank - Offroad Evolution Half Doors

Last edited by nicholsmf; 01-01-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode